None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto

Internet enabled lock

Hi guys, I have a need for a lock with a keypad on it. But I need to add/remove codes on it from the Internet.

For example, my friend is going to open the door. I would program a code over the Internet, and text it to him so he can use it to open the door.

Not sure if something like this exists.

Thanks a lot.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1653 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
The only one I've heard that has this capability is the August Lock, and there are a lot of complaints about the unreliability of the device, i.e. long delay to unlock, sometimes will not lock door behind you, etc.

There was another one, Lockitron, however its latest version removed the WiFi transmitter because it was too much of a battery drain.

Unfortunately this type of gear is still totally new (like most home automation gear) and there's a bunch of kinks to work out.
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $68 150 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Amex Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / Plastiq / Paymi / Ampli / Crypto dot com VISA
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
I just unlock the door when they show up. Rogers does what you want it to do. There probably are other systems that do it too, that are Z-wave or Insteon enabled.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
JoeStale wrote: The Schlage Touchscreen Camelot is what you want: http://m.homedepot.ca/Product/productde ... 29&lang=EN

It is Wink hub compatible and you can add or revoke keys using the app from anywhere and see if the lock is being used.
Thank you. That's pretty much what I'm looking for.

I read a review of the Android app saying that you can't change the code from the app. Can you confirm that you can?

Also the Wink hub has bad reviews everywhere. Any thoughts?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude wrote: I just unlock the door when they show up. Rogers does what you want it to do. There probably are other systems that do it too, that are Z-wave or Insteon enabled.
Thank you. The friend thing was just an example. There will be different people with different codes using the lock. I will not be available when they need to open the door.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
quanta wrote: The only one I've heard that has this capability is the August Lock, and there are a lot of complaints about the unreliability of the device, i.e. long delay to unlock, sometimes will not lock door behind you, etc.

There was another one, Lockitron, however its latest version removed the WiFi transmitter because it was too much of a battery drain.

Unfortunately this type of gear is still totally new (like most home automation gear) and there's a bunch of kinks to work out.
Thank you. That's what I'm thinking too. It might not be as reliable as a simple keypad lock. I don't want a headache.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
mawzi wrote: Thank you. That's pretty much what I'm looking for.

I read a review of the Android app saying that you can't change the code from the app. Can you confirm that you can?

Also the Wink hub has bad reviews everywhere. Any thoughts?
I don't own this lock yet since I'm waiting for a good sale first. I would be really surprised if you couldn't change the passcodes from the Wink app since it is a feature on the Nexia version of this lock: http://www.cnet.com/products/schlage-ca ... -deadbolt/

Easiest way to be sure is to email Schlage or buy one from Home Depot and use the app on it before installing.

The Wink hub was only released mid last year so you will see varying reviews. However, IMHO, it is the best automation hub available since it supports the widest variety of devices due to multiple hardware radios. And Wink has been updating their software to improve it.
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
I'm always skeptical as to the reliability of these things I remember getting a keypad lock and after having it 2 weeks my 3 yr old ran up to the door typed in some random numbers and the lock opened. Lol
Idle hands are the devils playthings
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2619 posts
1594 upvotes
Alliston, ON
I've had the Schlage Touchscreen lock for almost a year now and have no complaints. I tried to setup a Wink hub to pair it with, but the wink is a real pain . I'm going to get a Vera Lite controller instead.

I bought my lock from Home Depot and got them to price match amazon.com's price of $159
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
HeavenLeigh wrote: I'm always skeptical as to the reliability of these things I remember getting a keypad lock and after having it 2 weeks my 3 yr old ran up to the door typed in some random numbers and the lock opened. Lol
Was your passcode 1234?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
JoeStale wrote: I don't own this lock yet since I'm waiting for a good sale first. I would be really surprised if you couldn't change the passcodes from the Wink app since it is a feature on the Nexia version of this lock: http://www.cnet.com/products/schlage-ca ... -deadbolt/

Easiest way to be sure is to email Schlage or buy one from Home Depot and use the app on it before installing.

The Wink hub was only released mid last year so you will see varying reviews. However, IMHO, it is the best automation hub available since it supports the widest variety of devices due to multiple hardware radios. And Wink has been updating their software to improve it.
I think I'll buy it and try it out. Worst case scenario, I'll return it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: I've had the Schlage Touchscreen lock for almost a year now and have no complaints. I tried to setup a Wink hub to pair it with, but the wink is a real pain . I'm going to get a Vera Lite controller instead.

I bought my lock from Home Depot and got them to price match amazon.com's price of $159
Amazon.com or .ca?

It's $191 on Amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-BE469NXCAM ... B00AGK9KOG
Oct 31, 2012
58 posts
20 upvotes
NEWCASTLE
The schlage lock in the link above had several comments about cold temp issues oddly enough.

Another option is a VeraEdge with Kwikset Zwave lock like this:
https://www.aartech.ca/product/00/VERAE ... -Lock-Kit-

You can pick/upgrade to any of the Kwikset locks, not just the one bundled. Vera supports a much wider range of Zwave devices as well as some alarms, network devices, etc.
Just another thought. VeraEdge is more expensive and a bit more technical than Wink but can offer additional flexibility.
Or if you prefer Wink it should also support Kwikset.
aartech.ca Employee
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2619 posts
1594 upvotes
Alliston, ON
mawzi wrote: Amazon.com or .ca?

It's $191 on Amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-BE469NXCAM ... B00AGK9KOG
I used Amazon.com.. I just printed the page out a brought it to a couple HD stores. Some don't like to price match Amazon.

I've never had a problem with mine due to cold weather. The electronics and batteries are mounted inside the house, so they stay warm.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
568 upvotes
Near Toronto
how about this?
but would it survive our winters?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
rmowles wrote: The schlage lock in the link above had several comments about cold temp issues oddly enough.

Another option is a VeraEdge with Kwikset Zwave lock like this:
https://www.aartech.ca/product/00/VERAE ... -Lock-Kit-

You can pick/upgrade to any of the Kwikset locks, not just the one bundled. Vera supports a much wider range of Zwave devices as well as some alarms, network devices, etc.
Just another thought. VeraEdge is more expensive and a bit more technical than Wink but can offer additional flexibility.
Or if you prefer Wink it should also support Kwikset.
Not sure if the cold weather will be an issue. The inside part of the lock is in a heated place.

I'll check out the VeraEdge as well. Thank you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Ebeniz wrote: how about this?
but would it survive our winters?
That looks very interesting actually. You'll need a smartphone to open the lock. Not sure what you'll do if your phone battery is dead. Freeze to death outside? lol