• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 6:18 pm
[OP]
Oct 7, 2020
72 posts
143 upvotes

Internet Options in Lasalle(~Montreal)

Hey Guys!

I’m sure this is discussed few times on the internet but I’m not really looking for deals but options for the internet.

I’m living in LaSalle, QC - bit south to Montreal. My street is stuck with max 50Mbps fiber to node line and then connected with wire. I’m a Technical Consultant- software engineer and I do require better internet plans.

More frustrating fact is that Bell’s Giga fiber to home is available just 2 streets before me. I have tweeted, sent emails to Bell to know when will they install Fiber line on my street. It is been 2 years I have asked them, they responded on my recent tweet saying their plan is in Jan 21, not sure if it will extend due to C19.

I’m not sure how reliable are the cable internet, I know there might be options like IVC, CikTel etc. but I don’t know if Skype/Teams calls will drop or not(I guess not) but given the fact that fiber is fast, quick(ping) and cheap(<$50 for Giga) why are we just stuck on just Bell’s line? Why don’t we have more options? Internet could be wireless too, just saying.

Thanks
3 replies
Sep 13, 2011
895 posts
534 upvotes
Québec
Dollarr wrote: Hey Guys!

I’m sure this is discussed few times on the internet but I’m not really looking for deals but options for the internet.

I’m living in LaSalle, QC - bit south to Montreal. My street is stuck with max 50Mbps fiber to node line and then connected with wire. I’m a Technical Consultant- software engineer and I do require better internet plans.

More frustrating fact is that Bell’s Giga fiber to home is available just 2 streets before me. I have tweeted, sent emails to Bell to know when will they install Fiber line on my street. It is been 2 years I have asked them, they responded on my recent tweet saying their plan is in Jan 21, not sure if it will extend due to C19.

I’m not sure how reliable are the cable internet, I know there might be options like IVC, CikTel etc. but I don’t know if Skype/Teams calls will drop or not(I guess not) but given the fact that fiber is fast, quick(ping) and cheap(<$50 for Giga) why are we just stuck on just Bell’s line? Why don’t we have more options? Internet could be wireless too, just saying.

Thanks
Most people in Montreal don't have access to gigabit. Bell is being sued and examined for blocking other competitors to access their poles. For a wireless option, you will have to wait for milimeter 5G. Your only option now is to go with Fizz or videotron, Ebox, they are offering max 400 Mbs.