Internet provider help please (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2016 8:46 am
[OP]
Jun 23, 2015
7 posts
Mississauga

Internet provider help please (Ontario)

Hey everyone hopefully I can ask for advice about this here so here goes.. I'm looking for advice on which provider to switch too considering there are student deals now available.

Current: There are usually five to seven people using the Internet at a given time and Usually we have 7-10 devices connected (phones, computers, tvs running Netflix, etc). Uploading is not a high priority, just need fast and stable connection.

I live specifically in Mississauga in a medium sized home. Currently suscribed to teksavvy 25/10 cable internet for $60 +tax. Recently, Everyday I experience drop connections that range from 5 mins to 30 mins multiple times a day.

History: Two years ago I tried switching to bell fiber Internet (25/10). After a long installation process technicians said my home was too far from the community node and that they're going to have to "pair bond" using a copper wires to my home. My internet I found was terrible (13 down and 1up) so I cancelled right after.

Recently bell reps have been coming to my door saying that they apparently stripped all the fiber cables and added new ones and now 50/10 is available in my area but I'm unsure whether switching to bell is the right choice given my experience.

I know teksavvy uses Rogers line but I've been experiencing disconnections everyday so would my experience with them be the same?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you
2 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21035 posts
14980 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Actually TekSavvy offers both DSL (via Bhell) and cable (via Robbers) Internet service. So if Bhell says you can get 50/10 fiber then you should be able to get that from TekSavvy as well. Likewise if you're experiencing problems with cable, switching to TekSavvy cable won't make a difference.

Note that if you switch to 50/10 DSL you'll need a new modem and will have to pay a significant installation fee for the line. Call TekSavvy to confirm availability of 50/10 and the exact cost of switching.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2559 posts
506 upvotes
Burlington
check out start.ca...Great customer service, great prices, no contract.
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.