• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 8:29 am
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
124 posts
14 upvotes

Internet providers in Burlington

Hey All,

We will be moving soon to Burlington near Appleby and was wondering what's the best ISP in and around Appleby - Burloak?

I am looking for atleast 50MBPS connection that's reliable and not a big dent in my pocket.

I came across these ISP and interested more towards start.ca carrytel.ca & acanac.com how are these? how reliable they are?

Also, how is vmedia, Cogeco, teksavvey etc.

Any leads and suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3302 posts
2064 upvotes
Toronto
@nicotinebar who did yu end up going with? I see cogeco is offering 1gbps in burlington area, but bell is 10mbps for my new address
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
124 posts
14 upvotes
AstonM wrote: @nicotinebar who did yu end up going with? I see cogeco is offering 1gbps in burlington area, but bell is 10mbps for my new address
I ended up going with Start.ca 150 mbps for 60 I guess they are increasing it to 70 due to some court ruling. I will be shopping around.

Is it a contract? the thing is I don't want to get into a contract cause they increase the price whenever and anytime.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3302 posts
2064 upvotes
Toronto
nicotinebar wrote:
I ended up going with Start.ca 150 mbps for 60 I guess they are increasing it to 70 due to some court ruling. I will be shopping around.

Is it a contract? the thing is I don't want to get into a contract cause they increase the price whenever and anytime.
Thanks. I’m thinking I will have to go with cogeco for gigabit since we are pretty heavy and it’s not a ton more.
No Fido in my area unfortunately.
Feb 29, 2020
39 posts
21 upvotes
Have you looked at CanNet or CarryTel? They both seem to be cheaper than Start.ca

There's also Acanac and Vmedia that are on the cheaper side.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1725 posts
788 upvotes
Up in the air
House2020 wrote: Have you looked at CanNet or CarryTel? They both seem to be cheaper than Start.ca

There's also Acanac and Vmedia that are on the cheaper side.
I would stay away from CanNet if your in Burlington. I had them for about three years and for the most part they were great, especially for the price. But about a year ago I was getting horrendous download speeds and over a period of two months, after several emails back and forth, it wasn't getting any better (like I'm talking 10 down when I was paying for 100 down), so I voted with my wallet and went with Virgin when they had the $35/mnth for one year, couldn't be happier.
Freedom Mobile $99/yr.
Fido 3GB data only plan
Feb 29, 2020
39 posts
21 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote: I would stay away from CanNet if your in Burlington. I had them for about three years and for the most part they were great, especially for the price. But about a year ago I was getting horrendous download speeds and over a period of two months, after several emails back and forth, it wasn't getting any better (like I'm talking 10 down when I was paying for 100 down), so I voted with my wallet and went with Virgin when they had the $35/mnth for one year, couldn't be happier.
How do you like Virgin Internet? I'm thinking about getting it.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1725 posts
788 upvotes
Up in the air
House2020 wrote: How do you like Virgin Internet? I'm thinking about getting it.
It's been great, no slowdowns in the evening like I was getting with CanNet. It's only 100/10 but it's plenty fast enough for me.
Freedom Mobile $99/yr.
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1119 posts
1987 upvotes
Ontario
nicotinebar wrote: I guess they are increasing it to 70 due to some court ruling. I will be shopping around.
Don't bother - they're all raising their prices thanks to Bell and Rogers strongarming the CRTC and courts. Start is just one of the ones who are very proactive and letting people know now, early, that it will be coming in due time. You may find others cheaper right now, but in another few weeks or a month they'll be raising the prices too and they'll be exactly the same.

You're in very good hands with Start. I have yet to receive better customer service from any sort of telecom provider in my life than we've gotten from them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)