• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 3:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1308 posts
78 upvotes

Internet randomly goes down

We are with Virgin internet and recently we noticed that at random times throughout the day while using the net (either to surf or listen via our sonos system) the internet goes down for a few seconds and then it comes back. We rebooted the router a few times but it still happens. Any ideas what it could be? This never happened in the past and we have been with them over 2 years. Thx.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1650 posts
1674 upvotes
Markham, ON
Do you have Virgin's modem/router or an external router?
You can enable the logs and see what the logs say when they disconnect.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1308 posts
78 upvotes
at87on wrote: Do you have Virgin's modem/router or an external router?
You can enable the logs and see what the logs say when they disconnect.
We have Virgin's modem Steve...I will read up on how to access the logs.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
Other area one may look at is if the Router is configured correctly. It about going into router website and making necessary changes. I had to do that, I am with Teksavvy. My computer randomly got disconnected.

Another possible answer could be, is that Virgin is not stable.
Apr 18, 2017
805 posts
1668 upvotes
Is it a similar device to the HH3000 (FTTH)? If so, you might want to disconnect and reconnect the Fiber wire from the wall. That fixed my intermittent issues with the HH3000.
Dec 22, 2013
679 posts
1568 upvotes
Self-Isolation
I had similar issues. Tried all the above, disconnecting the router, re-plugging the cable etc.
Finally an intelligent tech came and he changed the connectors. Apparently the metal connectors attached to cable can get rusty, wear down over the course of time. He cut them out, starting from the box at the street, to the box outside the house and replaced them with new connectors. Needed to change 3 or 4. And haven't had a problem since.
Nov 14, 2008
842 posts
307 upvotes
is this over wireless? - does your router go down, eg do you have a desktop with a computer connected via ethernet to validate the connection from the router?
do you live in a condo eg possible interference?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1308 posts
78 upvotes
lostintransit wrote: is this over wireless? - does your router go down, eg do you have a desktop with a computer connected via ethernet to validate the connection from the router?
do you live in a condo eg possible interference?
It also goes down when it's plugged in directly. It's a house and there is no possible interference that I can think of.
Nov 14, 2008
842 posts
307 upvotes
contact virgin and ask them to send you a new modem/router, your probably leasing this one ..
not sure if they can check the logs with you.
boneca wrote: It also goes down when it's plugged in directly. It's a house and there is no possible interference that I can think of.
Feb 24, 2018
726 posts
435 upvotes
That Steve modem sucks.

Try a few different things, get them to change the modem, possibly get a tech to check the line regardless of whether it's fiber or copper DSL, and get a standard Wireless AC router (nothing fancy, a basic $70-110 one) which you connect to the Virgin modem, and set it up in access point mode so that the wireless router takes care of your wifi.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11421 posts
3794 upvotes
Winnipeg
boneca wrote: It also goes down when it's plugged in directly. It's a house and there is no possible interference that I can think of.
Underground fiber or over poles and lines? Over poles the wires get small chews,and wear from wind swaying and climate. Moisture seeps in or during
winds they disrupt connection. Underground
probably bad modem.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
The Internet doesn't randomly go down.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14430 upvotes
Does it happen connected directly to the modem?
chatbox wrote: The Internet doesn't randomly go down.
Sure it does.
AWS has been down a few times and they're basically "the" internet. Well at least like 20% of it anyways....
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4832 posts
1998 upvotes
Vancity
death_hawk wrote: Sure it does.
AWS has been down a few times and they're basically "the" internet. Well at least like 20% of it anyways....
20% is not the whole thing. There's always something down, some where.
signature closed for renovation

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)