• Apr 28th, 2021 11:22 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto

Internet for RV

Hello, I have an RV in which I will be moving from city to city.
Is there any internet providers that provide a wireless modem with a SIM card in it for wifi?
My data plan is only 6gb and I'll probably eat that up in like 10 days.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1001 posts
373 upvotes
Calgary
Get a cellphone family data plan or a plan that allows multiple data devices so you can share a large pool of data. Use 1 SIM in a standalone 4G modem. If you are moving from city to city, your only choice is Rogers/ Telus / Bell. Pick your poison.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Just get a Rogers Infinite plan. There are currently three plans

30 Gig - 80$
35 Gig - 85$
50 Gig - 125$

I am sure Bell and Telus will have similar plans

Just turn on the hot spot in your phone. It is infinite data. After you use up your data bucket, you will get 512k speeds. Yes, it sucks, but you will still be able to get email, use google maps.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1733 posts
1761 upvotes
Markham, ON
Starlink?
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13938 posts
5434 upvotes
telus 25gb endless data for $45
The sweetest gyal
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6614 upvotes
SW ON
sexyj wrote: telus 25gb endless data for $45
Link please? I could only find 30GB for $80 and 35GB for $85.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
mrtin905 wrote: Starlink?
Not yet, as Starlink can only operate from a fixed location at this time. Though that restriction is expected to be lifted in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6614 upvotes
SW ON
ChinpokoMon wrote: Not yet, as Starlink can only operate from a fixed location at this time. Though that restriction is expected to be lifted in the future.
Is it an artificial restriction or a technical one? How are they going to know you are on the move? Is there a GPS in the equipment? (Probably)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
alpovs wrote: Is it an artificial restriction or a technical one? How are they going to know you are on the move? Is there a GPS in the equipment? (Probably)
From the official FAQ:
Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1403 posts
1683 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: Hello, I have an RV in which I will be moving from city to city.
Is there any internet providers that provide a wireless modem with a SIM card in it for wifi?
My data plan is only 6gb and I'll probably eat that up in like 10 days.
The Three Robbers have pay-per-use wireless internet plans for this. For example, Bell extracts $60 for 5GB, with prices rising on a sliding scale up to $150 for 50GB but only $3/GB thereafter. This is considerably cheaper than tethering rates on cell phone plans, not to mention the $1000/GB overage fees charged by parts of the oligopoly.

Starlink is arbitrarily geofenced against mobile use. The satellites have been programmed to only communicate with devices they expect to see in a given area.
Jan 20, 2003
281 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
CCorbu wrote: Get a cellphone family data plan or a plan that allows multiple data devices so you can share a large pool of data. Use 1 SIM in a standalone 4G modem. If you are moving from city to city, your only choice is Rogers/ Telus / Bell. Pick your poison.
Does this actually work? I tried last summer by putting a Bell SIM card from a phone into a ZTE 4G hotspot from Bell. The card was recognized by the modem, showed a strong signal, but would not connect to the network. Suggested to me like an artificial limitation intended to prevent doing what you are suggesting. Perhaps other carriers are different.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
2048 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada
crawford wrote: Does this actually work? I tried last summer by putting a Bell SIM card from a phone into a ZTE 4G hotspot from Bell. The card was recognized by the modem, showed a strong signal, but would not connect to the network. Suggested to me like an artificial limitation intended to prevent doing what you are suggesting. Perhaps other carriers are different.
You could always just stick the sim card in a spare cellphone and turn on the hotspot. Leave the cell phone plugged into the power.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)