Home & Garden

Internet service in new subdivision

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2019 1:12 am
May 27, 2018
65 posts
24 upvotes

Internet service in new subdivision

Hello! I found there are a lot of good people here willing to help. My question is on several occassion, I tried getting internet from other provider such as Tekksavy and Carrytel but both rejected my purchase and said service is not available in my area. I live in a newer subdivision for just over 3 years. Does Bell or Rogers have control on who can provide internet in new subdivision? Is it because they are the one’s who built the infrastucture and for how long if anyone know? Thanks to all who replies.
14 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Tekksavvy uses Rogers backbone. Your subdivision (wherever that is) may be wired for Bell. I suggest you ask neighbors as i am pretty sure they have cable and internet.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Teksavvy can provide internet over Rogers Cable network & Bell DSL/VDSL Network

The issue here is that if your subdivision is new & its likely that Bell & maybe rogers have run Fiber Optics to your home or sidewalk only (not regular phone or cable lines). Because of this the smaller companies do not have access YET to their newer Fiber Optics network as the CRTC is taking their sweet ass time.
Pete_Coach wrote: Tekksavvy uses Rogers backbone. Your subdivision (wherever that is) may be wired for Bell. I suggest you ask neighbors as i am pretty sure they have cable and internet.
May 27, 2018
65 posts
24 upvotes
It is fiber optics. I was with Rogers in the beginning then switched to Fido which is owned by Rogers. I tried with Tekksavy several times but service not available in my location. I did the same with Carrytel. My purchase went through but the next day they called me stating the same thing. They cannot provide service in my location. So I am wondering whether because they built the infrastructure, they have sole rights to service provision for a given time. I never tried Bell.
May 27, 2018
65 posts
24 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Teksavvy can provide internet over Rogers Cable network & Bell DSL/VDSL Network

The issue here is that if your subdivision is new & its likely that Bell & maybe rogers have run Fiber Optics to your home or sidewalk only (not regular phone or cable lines). Because of this the smaller companies do not have access YET to their newer Fiber Optics network as the CRTC is taking their sweet ass time.
I need to mention that only the cheaper package with Tekksavy I can’t purchase but other expensive ones I can. So it makes sense that Carrytel cannot access the Fiber Optics network. Thanks for your reply.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Which cheaper packages can you not buy and which more expensive ones can you buy from teksavvy? What speeds and is it cable or DSL?

If its Fiber optics then you wont be able to get service from the smaller companies yet, The rates are so incredibly high that teksavvy and other companies wont even sell it to consumers. The CRTC has been sitting on their ass for a while now (Years) and have yet to do anything.
AntonioG23218 wrote: I need to mention that only the cheaper package with Tekksavy I can’t purchase but other expensive ones I can. So it makes sense that Carrytel cannot access the Fiber Optics network. Thanks for your reply.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10248 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Teksavvy can provide internet over Rogers Cable network & Bell DSL/VDSL Network

Well they don't have access because they paid zero for it, so why should they get a free ride?

If they want access to new areas using new fiber optic, they can pay to install it instead of being a parasite

Crtc should absolutely not give them access to new fiber optics lines, they already got sweet deal with freeloading off the old lines when they contributed nothing.

Why should they get access to new lines paid entirely by the big boys? If they want access, they can install their own lines .
May 27, 2018
65 posts
24 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Which cheaper packages can you not buy and which more expensive ones can you buy from teksavvy? What speeds and is it cable or DSL?

If its Fiber optics then you wont be able to get service from the smaller companies yet, The rates are so incredibly high that teksavvy and other companies wont even sell it to consumers. The CRTC has been sitting on their ass for a while now (Years) and have yet to do anything.
Teksavvy had “Most epic deal in 2018” unlimited internet for $24.99 for DSL25 but when I tried to enter my postal code to see if the service was available in my area, it came up with service not available but when I tried the other package with cable75, it would say available. I tried Carrytel cable75 unlimited, purchase went through but next day they called me and said service was not available in my area.
May 27, 2018
65 posts
24 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Well they don't have access because they paid zero for it, so why should they get a free ride?

If they want access to new areas using new fiber optic, they can pay to install it instead of being a parasite

Crtc should absolutely not give them access to new fiber optics lines, they already got sweet deal with freeloading off the old lines when they contributed nothing.

Why should they get access to new lines paid entirely by the big boys? If they want access, they can install their own lines .
You have a point there. Business is business after all. I do think though that there is a limit to the restriction. Likely approval from CRTC or maybe like patents, there is a certain period that they can monopolize on the product or service. I had no problem getting service from Teksavvy before at my previous address. That was a newer subdivision as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3107 posts
4579 upvotes
West GTA
StatsGuy wrote: Well they don't have access because they paid zero for it, so why should they get a free ride?

I mean, they do pay to use the lines. They're a wholesaler, and provide much-needed price competition to the big three. An analogy as to why this benefits Canadians:

- A big company builds a road for its trucks to go on.
- Another company wants to use those roads for its own trucks.
- The first company says no, build your own roads.
- The other company makes the argument that having a bunch of roads all going to the same place is a waste of resources, making deliveries more expensive with little benefit and resulting in a loss to society.
- They also argue that if everyone built a road to the same place then no one would make enough from deliveries to pay for all their roads.
- The government (proxy for society here) agrees, and says that Company 2 can use Company 1's roads, but has to pay them a toll for the cost of the road plus a margin (since they built it and that was risky).
- Now Company 1 and Company 2 are both using the same road (efficient), but Company 1 gets a cheque for Company 2's use.
- Company 1 and 2 now compete on price, etc and, while the roads are paid for and generating a profit, the profit margin for use on that road drops.
- This means that society now pays less for deliveries, since, even with one road owned by one company, they can't run a monopoly and gouge people.

An alternative of course would be for the roads to be owned by society and the delivery companies all pay the same toll, but that comes with its own gives and takes. Would social owners run it well, or invest in improving it, or make economically rational decisions? How would you compensate Company 1?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I really hope you dont go around spreading incorrect info as you have just done.

1 - Teksavvy and other similar companies do not get a free ride, they pay Rogers/Bell to use their lines & they still pay for their own Servers/IT Support/Bandwidth that goes on those lines. Only thing they use from bell/rogers is the last mile which basically means the wire to your house.

2 - It would be great for a company to install it however it costs Millions if not Billions to run new fiber lines & thats not including getting the rights to dig and install hardware on the roads & peoples property something Bell & Rogers has access to and can do whatever they want, No other company can get this permission as it would take forever and probably not even be granted.

3 - Actually sir the old lines were not even paid by Bell canada. It was paid by tax payers money over many years, Bell got the funding for free to be able to run all these older phone lines and so on. So bell has contributed nothing to these old lines yet they make millions of dollars off it ever year.

4 - Also why would you not want 3rd party companies to get access to these new Fiber lines? Thats how you get competition and lower prices. If it was not for these companies currently we would be paying much more for internet then we currently am. Every year Bell/Rogers increases their prices and it would be much worse without companies like Teksavvy. Look at cell phone prices, Freedom/Wind mobile came into the market and prices have come down a bit, we have had some decent deals throughout the year because of competition and it will be the same with Internet.

Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10248 upvotes
sickcars wrote: I really hope you dont go around spreading incorrect info as you have just done.

1 - Teksavvy and other similar companies do not get a free ride, they pay Rogers/Bell to use their lines & they still pay for their own Servers/IT Support/Bandwidth that goes on those lines. Only thing they use from bell/rogers is the last mile which basically means the wire to your house.

2 - It would be great for a company to install it however it costs Millions if not Billions to run new fiber lines & thats not including getting the rights to dig and install hardware on the roads & peoples property something Bell & Rogers has access to and can do whatever they want, No other company can get this permission as it would take forever and probably not even be granted.

3 - Actually sir the old lines were not even paid by Bell canada. It was paid by tax payers money over many years, Bell got the funding for free to be able to run all these older phone lines and so on. So bell has contributed nothing to these old lines yet they make millions of dollars off it ever year.

4 - Also why would you not want 3rd party companies to get access to these new Fiber lines? Thats how you get competition and lower prices. If it was not for these companies currently we would be paying much more for internet then we currently am. Every year Bell/Rogers increases their prices and it would be much worse without companies like Teksavvy. Look at cell phone prices, Freedom/Wind mobile came into the market and prices have come down a bit, we have had some decent deals throughout the year because of competition and it will be the same with Internet.
They absolutely get a free ride

No other way to sugarcoat it

1. Last mile is most expensive and where all the risk is, (Rogers/bell) spend the money to put it in without knowing who or if anyone will signup and use their services despite incurring all the costs

Guys like teksavvy pay well below market rates to use it only if they get a customer. It's like me being an Uber driver with your car and I pay you per km only if I get a ride and use it but you buy the car, insure it, maintain it and take on all the costs

2. You have no clue what youre talking about, Rogers/bell pay for access easements and building permits/approvals. Tek or any other can do exact same. There's zero special privileges given to Rogers/bell when it comes to installation lines

3. The old copper lines were partially funded by govt at outset, that was decades ago and maintenance/upgrade are all on bell/Rogers. So why should tek or others get access to new stuff?

4. Because they're leaches and raise prices for everyone else who subsidize their operating model. They should pay to run their own lines like everyone else or pay FMV
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Face With Tears Of Joy Oh boy somebody clearly enjoys paying high prices & has drank the Bell/Rogers coolaid.

I dont know enough about this topic to sit here and go back & fourth with you and even if I did I can tell you would not believe me. So if you are interested in knowing why you are wrong Please post here https://www.dslreports.com/forum/canbroadband They will gladly educate you.

StatsGuy wrote: They absolutely get a free ride

No other way to sugarcoat it

1. Last mile is most expensive and where all the risk is, (Rogers/bell) spend the money to put it in without knowing who or if anyone will signup and use their services despite incurring all the costs

Guys like teksavvy pay well below market rates to use it only if they get a customer. It's like me being an Uber driver with your car and I pay you per km only if I get a ride and use it but you buy the car, insure it, maintain it and take on all the costs

2. You have no clue what youre talking about, Rogers/bell pay for access easements and building permits/approvals. Tek or any other can do exact same. There's zero special privileges given to Rogers/bell when it comes to installation lines

3. The old copper lines were partially funded by govt at outset, that was decades ago and maintenance/upgrade are all on bell/Rogers. So why should tek or others get access to new stuff?

4. Because they're leaches and raise prices for everyone else who subsidize their operating model. They should pay to run their own lines like everyone else or pay FMV
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I ran into the same problem. New subdivision and no Third Party Internet Access (TPIA)

My guess is that the CRTC is protecting the incumbents for a number of years to help offset the initial investment. Rogers still uses copper, the argument that fiber is not available to TPIAs doesn't apply to Rogers.

I would try contacting Bell or Rogers, you will find that they are aggressively offering deals.

I signed up for 2 years with Bell and got

Gigabit Internet
Fibe TV
Home Phone

$85 per month + Tax

I tried to cut the phone and Fibe TV and my cost went up to $150.

I think I still have the agent's contact info. He told me to call him back when my two year contract is up and renegotiate
May 27, 2018
65 posts
24 upvotes
Gee wrote: I ran into the same problem. New subdivision and no Third Party Internet Access (TPIA)

My guess is that the CRTC is protecting the incumbents for a number of years to help offset the initial investment. Rogers still uses copper, the argument that fiber is not available to TPIAs doesn't apply to Rogers.

I would try contacting Bell or Rogers, you will find that they are aggressively offering deals.

I signed up for 2 years with Bell and got

Gigabit Internet
Fibe TV
Home Phone

$85 per month + Tax

I tried to cut the phone and Fibe TV and my cost went up to $150.

I think I still have the agent's contact info. He told me to call him back when my two year contract is up and renegotiate
Best deal I could find is Carrytel cable75 for $24.99 for the first month then $40 after. Still cheaper than the $60 I am paying with Fido but I don’t even want to try as service was not available last time I tried. I just tried Primus with Costco, same service not available. I am going to have to wait for Rogers or Bell to have a better offers possibly during back to school.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)