• Sep 13th, 2019 11:04 am
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
194 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

Internet Speeds - scammed?

Hi all,

I recently subscribed to Bell Fibe TV and Internet - 1.0Gbps fiber plan.

I"m only getting around 30Mpbs download and 1.0Mbps upload speeds. I have connected a laptop with a 1Gbps network card directly into a LAN jack on the modem and confirmed a network connection at that max speed.

Tried Ookla speedtest and other tests, and all gave similiar results as I stated. Did the speedtest on the modem and it says 1.0Gbps download and 1.2Mbps upload

Anyone have the same experience?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2954 upvotes
fast.com gives you what speed
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6800 posts
3895 upvotes
Aurora
So call Bell tech support and have them sort it out. The delta between 30Mbps and 1Gbps is too much. Something is not right. Why waste time here?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1451 posts
1282 upvotes
What type of LAN cable do you have and what length is it? Not all LAN cables support 1GB and also length of the cable has impact on the speed. Which port of the modem are you using? I believe not all ports are 1GB for the provider modem if it has a built in router. Try the first port.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4599 posts
1239 upvotes
Zebraman wrote: I recently subscribed to Bell Fibe TV and Internet - 1.0Gbps fiber plan.
I"m only getting around 30Mpbs download and 1.0Mbps upload speeds. I have connected a laptop with a 1Gbps network card directly into a LAN jack on the modem and confirmed a network connection at that max speed.
Tried Ookla speedtest and other tests, and all gave similiar results as I stated. Did the speedtest on the modem and it says 1.0Gbps download and 1.2Mbps upload
There are a lot of variables with technology in general that you need to test to get to the root of the issue.

- If Speedtest is showing 1Gbps then it's likely your connection is fine.
- Where are getting 30Mbps? In the real world not many sites get you 1Gbps.
- Is your ethernet cable at least Cat 5E? Though if your Speedtest result is fine then the cable should be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5089 posts
2270 upvotes
Downloading what? Youtube Videos?

Could be the site limiting you due to the behaviour it sees from your connection.

I say this because it seems like you tested your connection which seems to be fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2879 posts
1864 upvotes
Call support and tell them. Sometimes they may place you on the wrong profile.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27792 posts
13392 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: What type of LAN cable do you have and what length is it? Not all LAN cables support 1GB and also length of the cable has impact on the speed. Which port of the modem are you using? I believe not all ports are 1GB for the provider modem if it has a built in router. Try the first port.
While I don't dispute this could be a (really rare) issue, Assuming it's Cat5e or above, I've never seen a cable that doesn't support gigabit.
Length also wouldn't matter as long as it's below 300m.
That's not to say the cable couldn't be damaged but it if it was, it most likely would just not work instead of putting up slow speeds.
renoldman wrote: I say this because it seems like you tested your connection which seems to be fine.
I mean... I don't know what Bell is selling in terms of "rated" speeds, but I certainly hope that it's not a 1000:1 Download:Upload ratio.
Unless OP typed 1.2mbps wrong.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
194 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
I think that was it....before I had a chance to call them, the next day, I was up at crazy download and upload speeds. All is good now.

Thanks

peli33 wrote: Call support and tell them. Sometimes they may place you on the wrong profile.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6502 posts
1208 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…
Isn't that normal?
I thought that Bell tells one that one doesn't get full speed the first day or two after installation.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2466 posts
1010 upvotes
Burnaby
Advertised speeds are "up to" the max theoretical speed, not the guaranteed speed.
Last edited by Psykopathik on Sep 8th, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6502 posts
1208 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…
Psykopathik wrote: Advertised speeds are "up to" the max theoretical speed, no the guaranteed speed.
Depends on the technology used and the distance from the "switch/node"

With FTTH one should always get the full speed that one signs up to, I signed up to 50/50 nd always get 65/55 when I test, even with a wireless connection.
When I tried the 1 Gig service, I got 1 Gig at the modem but only 350 mb/s at the laptop over WiFi - 50/50 is more than fast enough for my needs and I save a few bucks, so I went back to that.
When I had cable I signed up to 50/10 service and I was lucky to get 30/5 - that's definitelu "...up to..."
With straight copper DSL I only got 3 down and about 1 up because of the distance to the office and the poor quality of the copper lines. But at least it was consistent.
Cable internet for me varied all over the place - sometimes it was so slow that speed test wouldn't even run.

With the HH3000 you can check the speed you get up to the modem. If that isn't the speed you pay for or pretty close, I would complain.
Between the modem and your equipment, well that is your problem to fix if that is the issue
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
its upto 1.0Gbps.

just like store sales upto %50 off sale price but it won't find anything thats %50. maybe a sock.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."