• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2022 10:19 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2015
5405 posts
5751 upvotes
Distance: 50 Metres

Interview availability

When being asked for your availability for interview this week and next week, would you say next week so you can prepare more or this week to show that you are flexible and ready for any challenge on short notice (which is a good trait for the job ie. analytical role)?

I always tend to have my availability as soon as possible (this week) and thought waiting for a week to interview shows that you're less interested, but that comes at a cost of being less prepared.

What do you guys do?
To the moon
9 replies
May 7, 2015
951 posts
1529 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Available asap.

Some places hire quick.

Those that do more than 3 interviews I pass on.
Feb 22, 2022
21 posts
15 upvotes
For me, I would say next week so I can prepare if I want that job.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Don't forget to ask if you can take your vacation right away first before you actually start.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1769 posts
1901 upvotes
Toronto
For screening I do it ASAP.

For an interview with a hiring Manager I like to give myself space for at least a day to anticipate what will be asked. By giving too much space I might be letting other candidates outshine me.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
How much time do you need to prep? 2-3 days of prep should be more than enough. If I got asked on mon or tue this week okay if asked on thu or fri then next week.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
and don't forget to do the dance
Frankie3s wrote: Don't forget to ask if you can take your vacation right away first before you actually start.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jul 15, 2012
313 posts
167 upvotes
Calgary
If it's late in the week with >2 days heads-up, I would agree to that. Especially if it's your dream job and you know for a fact it's a competitive application. Otherwise it'll have to be next week so I can better prepare over the weekend.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
Frankie3s wrote: Don't forget to ask if you can take your vacation right away first before you actually start.
You can take unpaid vacation but I doubt any company will paid you to take your vacation first before start working.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on what kind of interview it is. If it's just a general talking interview, what preparation do you really need to do, other than read your resume and job description and think for an hour? If it's essentially a technical test, that's different.

I've personally never answered that question directly; I've just asked them what works best for their timeline and I'll try to work within that.