Interview process - help please

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2021 12:22 pm
[OP]
Mar 1, 2012
376 posts
39 upvotes

Interview process - help please

So I had my 1st interview on the phone with a talent acquisition.
Lasted for about 20 mins, as she had scheduled.
Do you think that's acceptable? Or is that a bad sign it was too short of an interview?
It's more a brief screening I beleive.

She told me "you should expect to hear from me by Monday."
Monday passed, and nothing. Do I assume that I will not be getting this role?
Or is it fairly common these days for employers to say this, and they end up being late in reaching out?

Also - if I know I'm extremely fit for this role, but I may have not articulated well in my interview in some minor questions. Is it possible to salvage the interview by recapping my skills, allowing me to sell myself again, sort of speak, in the "follow-up" email that I'll be sending in a few days?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1415 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
Companies are very inconsistent.
I’ve seen this type of behaviour even at late stages of the process, eg meeting with the Director only to never hear again.
Just move on, especially since this was just a telephone pre-screen lol.
Jan 28, 2017
786 posts
821 upvotes
Is this for a junior or experienced position? If you really want the job and think it is a good fit, doesn't hurt to send a quick follow up message. Either 2 outcomes - HR passed on you themselves or they are waiting for next steps from the hiring team, since they don't call the shots.

Like the comment above, companies are very hit or miss with communications at all levels.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4981 posts
1606 upvotes
You are prob thinking too much.

When they say monday, they usually never mean monday.

All you can do is wait for a reasonable amount of time, then politely followup, then wait for another reasonable amount of time, then followup again, etc, etc

its extremely hard to mad at you if you're being polite. If they do, then well, they were probably leading you on anyways.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3116 posts
3047 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
SomeOtherDude wrote: You are prob thinking too much.

When they say monday, they usually never mean monday.

All you can do is wait for a reasonable amount of time, then politely followup, then wait for another reasonable amount of time, then followup again, etc, etc

its extremely hard to mad at you if you're being polite. If they do, then well, they were probably leading you on anyways.
Usually means "Monday at the earliest" lol. I'd wait until the following Monday and then follow up. No one will get mad if you ask politely for an update. If you get no answer on the follow up you have your answer anyways.
Aug 15, 2018
271 posts
100 upvotes
Talent acquisitions are basically a mailbox between hiring managers and candidates. They search resumes by keywords, if it matches with the job description they were provided, they give you a quick call to check your salary expectations and availability, then shoot your cv to the hiring department.

There are a few possibilities:
1. The recruiter hasn't received a feedback from hiring manager on your application (it sometimes takes weeks unfortunately)
2. Your resume wasn't selected and you will receive an update at the end of the recruitment process (when a candidate signs a contract)
3. You could be considered as a "back-up", depending on how advanced their recruitment process is

Note that a lot of companies unfortunately do not respond to all candidates once they have closed a recruitment. Which is sad, as all it takes with most recruitment systems is to push the "bulk reply" button so everyone is updated.

I agree with others about asking politely for an update. If you don't get a reply and can identify who the hiring manager is (LinkedIn is very useful), I would introduce myself directly and politely to show my interest.

Good luck!
May 24, 2007
511 posts
173 upvotes
Typically the process is:

1. Talent acquisition people reaches out and conducts the initial HR interview to determine fit.
2. If #1 is fine, the HR will reach out to the Hiring manager and provide the hiring manager with some bg info and thoughts about the candidates + schedule 2nd in w/ hiring manager to ask more detailed technical questions, experience and rapport between you and direct supervisor.
3. More interviews if needed if the role is senior and with more and more senior management team. It is not uncommon to have 5+ interviews...

Sometimes #2 & #3 is delayed and could be due to a number of different reasons. 1. hiring manager is busy and haven't had time to look at the HR's email/write up or 2. no slots on his/her calendar to schedule the 2nd in...etc.

If HR is considerate, they will email the candidate to let them know they are still shortlisted and not to worry. If they are not, they might not bother. Keep in mind that the HR will likely select 2 or 3 candidates from the pool for the hiring manager to select from. Very rare to have only one. So that can factor in the delay as well.

Good luck. Always a nerve racking experience but be confident. They need/want you more than you want/need them. If you are successful, that gives you more room to negotiate for a better comp package as well.