Careers

Interview on thursday and another today, how to handle the situation.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2018 7:08 pm
[OP]
Oct 6, 2017
38 posts
8 upvotes

Interview on thursday and another today, how to handle the situation.

Perhaps you folks can help me out. I dont have a lot of experience in job interviews so i dont know how to best handle the situation.

I have an interview for a junior document controller position with a company on thursday morning. Keep in mind i have no experience in this field and this is just an interview. (Anyone work this role before and can give me a layman review?)

I also got an email from a staffing agency today for a data entry clerk position. She will be calling me around 3 to discuss it. Since this is a staffing agency, im assuming the job is likely mine since im getting a call.

So the first position is most likely a better job, but that is just an interview. I might not get the gig. If i get asked to start the data entry job tomorrow or thursday, should i tell the lady i will need thursday off for another interview? Or should i just tell her im unavailable to start until thursday afternoon. I ask this because i dont want to refuse the data entry job, fail the jr document controller interview, and then be left with neither job.

Also should i mention im working canada post on weekends and plan to keep it as a side job?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7321 posts
4229 upvotes
Edmonton
Counut wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:53 am
Perhaps you folks can help me out. I dont have a lot of experience in job interviews so i dont know how to best handle the situation.

I have an interview for a junior document controller position with a company on thursday morning. Keep in mind i have no experience in this field and this is just an interview. (Anyone work this role before and can give me a layman review?)

I also got an email from a staffing agency today for a data entry clerk position. She will be calling me around 3 to discuss it. Since this is a staffing agency, im assuming the job is likely mine since im getting a call.

So the first position is most likely a better job, but that is just an interview. I might not get the gig. If i get asked to start the data entry job tomorrow or thursday, should i tell the lady i will need thursday off for another interview? Or should i just tell her im unavailable to start until thursday afternoon. I ask this because i dont want to refuse the data entry job, fail the jr document controller interview, and then be left with neither job.

Also should i mention im working canada post on weekends and plan to keep it as a side job?
You're assuming too much. Just because a staffing agency calls doesn't mean you have the job.

C
Nov 9, 2016
125 posts
54 upvotes
Maybe the staffing agency won't want you to start until Monday, that will give you time to do the interview for the other company and weigh your decisions. If that doesn't work and they want you to start asap, try and suggest to start Friday or Monday that you want to have a moment to think about if this is the right fit for you and you really want to go through with it.

I wouldn't personally suggest telling them that you have another interview scheduled for Thursday. If you could start Monday that would be perfect. You can do the interview Thursday and have the weekend to weigh your options and think if your going to want to do the data entry position or wait and see about the interview done Thursday
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5581 posts
3196 upvotes
Richmond Hill
In addition to not having experience, it also sounds like you don't know what the document controller position even entails. Honestly - I don't see this interview playing out very well. If offered the data entry position, I'd recommend taking that and calling it a day.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4833 posts
647 upvotes
Toronto
Counut wrote:

Staffing agency job are mostly start immediately, as other poster said calling you to discuss the position does not gurantee you anything, they will still ask you to do a typing skill exam and goes from there.

Looklike you apply a job (jr document controller) without knowing what the job is all about, no experience does not mean you are out. But if you can impress them during the interview then you got a chance to land that job.

Unless the above 2 mention that you are requires to work on weekend, then their is no point of telling them you have a side job at Canada Post.
Nov 9, 2016
125 posts
54 upvotes
Counut wrote:

Op,

What's the update, what did you decide to do? How did the interview on the Thursday go?
[OP]
Oct 6, 2017
38 posts
8 upvotes
therealbry wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 12:37 pm
Op,

What's the update, what did you decide to do? How did the interview on the Thursday go?
during the call the recruiter just talked about the company (Alarmforce) and pay? I have an interview scheduled with the company now on tuesday.

for the other position, i had the interview thursday. Not sure how i did. Think i did ok by my standards. I will find out results near the end of next week
Dec 28, 2017
66 posts
17 upvotes
For the document controller position, my recommendation is to read the job description when you apply. It pretty much says the basic. Also, it's an entry level position, therefore, you will be doing alot of manual labour jobs with computer and probably walk around here and there.

As for staffing agency, again, read the job description and decide what you like. And no, you are not required to start immediately if the recruiter got you a job. You can talk to them about start time. Life happens in here.

Good luck on your career.. don't stress too much, if they are willing to interview you then hire you after.. that means they think you can handle it based on the impression you gave them. And if it's a hard job... either tough it out and learn it in a month or so... or quit.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4833 posts
647 upvotes
Toronto
Counut wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 2:23 pm
during the call the recruiter just talked about the company (Alarmforce) and pay? I have an interview scheduled with the company now on tuesday.

for the other position, i had the interview thursday. Not sure how i did. Think i did ok by my standards. I will find out results near the end of next week
Is this the job posting https://www.indeed.ca/viewjob?jk=aa2ca6 ... =web&vjs=3