Personal Finance

Invalid NSF

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2019 9:50 pm
Tags:
Jul 25, 2006
1 posts

Invalid NSF

In paying my property taxes to the Township of McMurrich-Monteith, Sprucedale, Ontario, I was charged an NSF for my HSBC cheque I sent the township.
The township banks with TD Bank. The township sent me a photo copy of the TD Bank reason for not clearing the cheque. "Not eligible for clearing"
I called my bank HSBC, to ask them why they rejected paying the cheque and they assure me there was no attempt made by TD to post the cheque to them.
And that if TD had posted the cheque, there was sufficient money to clear the cheque. I called the township and they called TD and TD came back with the same reason (I was told).
Has any one been in the situation. Apart from not using cheques, and believe me I want to, just that the township is not registered with HSBC, what else can I do to not pay the NSF which I should not have to pay ... any advice would help...
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
Online banking. Just set up each payment to process just over 1 week (they say about 5 or 6 business days) before the due date. Be sure to keep track of which day is a holiday.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7849 posts
8795 upvotes
rremedios wrote: In paying my property taxes to the Township of McMurrich-Monteith, Sprucedale, Ontario, I was charged an NSF for my HSBC cheque I sent the township.
The township banks with TD Bank. The township sent me a photo copy of the TD Bank reason for not clearing the cheque. "Not eligible for clearing"
I called my bank HSBC, to ask them why they rejected paying the cheque and they assure me there was no attempt made by TD to post the cheque to them.
And that if TD had posted the cheque, there was sufficient money to clear the cheque. I called the township and they called TD and TD came back with the same reason (I was told).
Has any one been in the situation. Apart from not using cheques, and believe me I want to, just that the township is not registered with HSBC, what else can I do to not pay the NSF which I should not have to pay ... any advice would help...
Can you ask for a copy of the cheque?

'Not eligible for clearing' could mean that something was wrong with the cheque, and they decided to not process it at all. Perhaps it's missing a signature, is post/stale dated, or made out to the wrong entity?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3663 upvotes
That "not eligible for clearing" is supposed to apply to something called a "telecheque" or "e-cheque", but the distinguishing feature is that as an alternative for a paper cheque document it doesn't have a SIGNATURE.
So, my guess, is that the cheque wasn't signed.
However, it doesn't really seem like the correct code because the original was NOT a "telecheque" - a regular cheque without a signature should have a return reason of "SIGNATURE IRREGULAR/REQUIRED/ILLEGIBLE/FORGED OR UNAUTHORIZED/"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)