Invest in bank stocks

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2020 9:34 am
[OP]
Jun 8, 2020
42 posts
21 upvotes

Invest in bank stocks

Is it a good idea to invest in bank stocks right now or wait until pandemic cool down?

I'm looking at Td.To or Ry.to.
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9941 posts
1827 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely not wait till pandemic is over

Now is a good time. Hold it for years though. Don't worry about the short term.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8429 posts
1461 upvotes
It's not a good idea to invest in bank stocks and won't be for a long time.
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2017
277 posts
156 upvotes
When was the last time the 5 banks fail? If you don't remember ? I think you should invest in it asap
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6148 posts
2072 upvotes
badmus wrote: They still look good to me, any of the big 6 banks. Some look better than others.
How can you tell?

Which type of account should I invest it in?
Sep 6, 2018
82 posts
59 upvotes
johnnyepy666 wrote: When was the last time the 5 banks fail? If you don't remember ? I think you should invest in it asap
that's actually really bad advice. the market prices companies as a function of potential future growth, so while they may not go bankrupt they are also in a low growth environment in the next several years. if you care about your investment being "safe", buying the S&P500 or nasdaq is more safe and will net you more money in the long-run.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2818 posts
267 upvotes
Markham
Possibly stay away from CWB. Last bank failures were in Alberta.
Nov 30, 2015
160 posts
130 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Forget bank stocks. The Motley Fool says these 5 other stocks are a better bet!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4138 posts
2213 upvotes
I still own the big five Canadian banks. Even a wee bit in the sixth largest. Last added to TD Bank in early April. I also own equities in six other Canadian sectors though, so it's not all just about banks.
Dec 27, 2013
55 posts
6 upvotes
TORONTO
just bought some BMO at $75 - it is undervalued by 30 ish % and dividend yield just north of 5%
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
2402 posts
560 upvotes
GTA
vivibaby wrote: How can you tell?

Which type of account should I invest it in?
A lot of ways to tell, historically the stock price as well as their business has gone up, what happened during previous bear markets etc.

RRSP or TFSA are good places to start depending on your situation.
Feb 11, 2009
545 posts
136 upvotes
jaysdt wrote: that's actually really bad advice. the market prices companies as a function of potential future growth, so while they may not go bankrupt they are also in a low growth environment in the next several years. if you care about your investment being "safe", buying the S&P500 or nasdaq is more safe and will net you more money in the long-run.
CERB payments keep getting pumped out, their growth will be fine lol
Apr 9, 2006
392 posts
15 upvotes
toronto
cherry25 wrote: just bought some BMO at $75 - it is undervalued by 30 ish % and dividend yield just north of 5%
BMO is doing particularly well today (+2.5%) while the rest of the pack is lagging behind (+0.7% to 1.5%), wonder why?