• Jun 4th, 2020 9:57 am
[OP]
Mar 17, 2015
173 posts
48 upvotes
North York, ON

Invest Now or wait for the next crash

Hello Fellow Investors,

I have an existing Quest trade TFSA account with existing portfolio. I would like to buy more stocks but the stocks which I want to buy show all green. Should I buy now or wait for another crash ?

Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.
68 replies
Jun 14, 2018
345 posts
366 upvotes
Cocoboy1993 wrote: Hello Fellow Investors,

I have an existing Quest trade TFSA account with existing portfolio. I would like to buy more stocks but the stocks which I want to buy show all green. Should I buy now or wait for another crash ?

Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.
If you think another crash is coming, don't you think it would be smart to wait until that happens before you invest?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8635 posts
9402 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Well here we go again. “Now I missed the selloff-dip...should I wait for another one?”

100% predictable.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1317 posts
1459 upvotes
BC
Cocoboy1993 wrote: Should I buy now or wait for another crash ?
A crash happens like every 10 years of so, and this one is over. Are you going to wait 10 years while the market keeps going higher?

There might be pullback or there might not - nobody has a crystal ball. If you're investing for the long term, it'll just be minor blip in the overall trend
Feb 28, 2012
222 posts
94 upvotes
Vaughan
I think you need to what feels best for you, nobody knows the answer. Some people think the worst is over and maybe they're right.

My opinion, we haven't seen the real crash yet. The economy is destroyed and indicators are lagging behind. People are wearing masks, scared to be close to one another, businesses have been beaten down and cannot even operate at full capacity. If there is any such thing as a "second wave" later this year, we'll start to see the real crash.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1907 posts
1087 upvotes
Ontario
I suggest you dollar cost average into the market. If you go all-in it might go down and you'll be discouraged. If you sit on your hands, you may never find the right time to buy. Too often we receive financial advice that is one extreme or the other. You don't need to be either 0% or 100% in equities. I can count at least 99 other options between those two extremes.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4139 posts
2217 upvotes
I don't know what you should do. All I know is that I bought a Canadian stock yesterday and another today because I had the cash. I'll probably have to wait another month or so before I have enough cash for another purchase, but as usual whether the market is up or down at that time, I won't be hesitating. Perhaps it works for others, but I've learned over the last few decades that I'm not very good at market timing, so I just don't do it. I only concentrate the best I can on building my assets and increasing my dividend income each year. I don't succeed every calendar year, but it's a heck of lot bigger investment pile than when I first started.
Apr 9, 2018
21 posts
4 upvotes
Which stocks? It depends on their valuations. What you could do is invest half of the money you plan on investing now, and wait later if we get a "W" recovery, there is still risk, second wave, elections, etc.
Apr 20, 2009
44 posts
46 upvotes
Buy now and sell at the next crash, that's what most retail investors do.
Jan 6, 2015
725 posts
185 upvotes
keep investing unless you know when is crash.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
776 upvotes
centre of universe
MarinersFanatik wrote: If you think another crash is coming, don't you think it would be smart to wait until that happens before you invest?
cartfan123 wrote: Well here we go again. “Now I missed the selloff-dip...should I wait for another one?”

100% predictable.
This. Wait is simple answer. But that wait can be for few more years.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3447 posts
1738 upvotes
Waterloo
You should wait.
Look at this recent thread: recent-run-bull-trap-2364015/

81% of experts agreed that the recent run is just a bull trap. So...it's all gonna come crashing down again very very soon.
Banned
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1004 upvotes
Saskatoon
Wait for 3-5 months as it is delayed stock market reality.
Crushes seldom on spring or summer, fall it is.
Don’t expect honest and unbiased answer from people invested in current market, there’s conflict of interest. The more you buy in the more there portfolio grow.
Thanks for reading.
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul