Personal Finance

Investor's Business Daily - Subscription worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2011 3:49 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
1259 posts
29 upvotes

Investor's Business Daily - Subscription worth it?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to learn more about investing and playing the stock market. Having just finished ,"The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing", by Jason Kelly, I'm considering purchasing an online subscription to IBD for $259USD for the year to get access to their tables and learn something new on a daily basis. For what it's worth, I'm 24, debt-free, $20K invested in TD Mutual Funds RRSP's(though I will probably switch to ETF's this year after some more research), $10K in stocks, and am currently renting. Would appreciate some perspective from other investors. Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8341 posts
1336 upvotes
If you're going couch potato portfolio, I hardly see the benefit of the subscription. There are plenty of much cheaper ways to educate yourself and keep yourself informed. If you're into lot's of reading, get a subscription to The Economist for around the same $.
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Dec 22, 2009
32 posts
1 upvote
I'm also 24 and do a lot of investing. After years of learning, paying that amount of money for a newspaper is a waste of money in my opinion. The Wall Street Journal for $160 is way better value. Barrons for $60 a year is a must read too.

Also, if you're looking to learn the fundamentals, a free website like Seeking Alpha has everything you need for free.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2809 posts
925 upvotes
Newmarket
I have never subscribed to IBD but read books by it's founder William O'Neil, imo the subscription will be a waste of money with so much info available online, and if O'Neil is any indication you will be steered toward growth (nothing wrong with that) and ignore value and dividends investing (not sure this is such a great idea).
Oct 15, 2010
125 posts
16 upvotes
Canada
The information that may be provided in the newsletter is almost certainly available for free elsewhere - however, having it all compiled nicely and delivered to you daily might be worth the price - depends on how much you value that one particular perspective and how much you value your time. If you are going to end up doing all of your own research anyways (which you should) then it might be a waste.

If you do sign up, be sure to come back and update this thread and let us know what you think of it after you've had time to evaluate it.
My Personal Finance Blog - working, investing, saving, spending
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
1259 posts
29 upvotes
Thanks for the tip on seeking alpha. It looks like it will be a good source of articles for review. However, I'm struggling to find a concise resource for financial info as recommended by the book. Something like the valueline's Dow 30. But I'm big on the idea of dropping $600 on a subscription to valueline either. I have maybe an hour a day to spend on my portfolio. A one-stop (unbiased) shop is what I'm aiming for.
Dec 22, 2009
32 posts
1 upvote
spookie149 wrote: Thanks for the tip on seeking alpha. It looks like it will be a good source of articles for review. However, I'm struggling to find a concise resource for financial info as recommended by the book. Something like the valueline's Dow 30. But I'm big on the idea of dropping $600 on a subscription to valueline either. I have maybe an hour a day to spend on my portfolio. A one-stop (unbiased) shop is what I'm aiming for.
OK, so you're looking to see what the hottest stocks at the current time are. I have been very impressed with the Stocktwits 50;

http://stocktwits50.com/

Despite the ridiculous name this site is one of my favourites and has proven results.
Nov 5, 2010
107 posts
9 upvotes
Burlington
I know what you zre looking for, some kind of guidance, or advice which srocks to buy. Try www.streetauthority.com
Besides free commentaries and newsletters they have several investing programs, 2 of them dividend investing plans. Dividend investing is good for everyone, beginner or seasoned investor. You can buy newseltter for 3 months as trial for about 30-40 bucks and you will get plenty of data and ideas to sart with. They analyze stocks so you don't have to.
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
202 upvotes
ctringham wrote: I'm also 24 and do a lot of investing. After years of learning, paying that amount of money for a newspaper is a waste of money in my opinion. The Wall Street Journal for $160 is way better value. Barrons for $60 a year is a must read too.

Also, if you're looking to learn the fundamentals, a free website like Seeking Alpha has everything you need for free.

I spent around $500 a year reading books on investing. Don't think it's all about buying stocks and how to analysis companies.
I am more interested in the human behavior portion of the game.
Lately been reading on some philosophy and psychology.

3 elements in investing in stocks (at least I thought it's these) in no particular order:
1) Technical
2) Fundamental
3) Emotional

I have tapped into the Fundamental and Emotional only, I couldn't learn the technical because I am too stupid to make sense of it all.

Here is what I've learned lol, might be common sense to you guys.
1) If everyone says it's a bubble (or at least brought to the public's attention), then it's not a bubble, because people would have taken precaution. The so-called bubble won't burst, it will only take the necessary correction.
2) Everyone thinks most things are bubbles after a burst of a bubble. People said Google was a bubble after tech bubble burst.
Oct 21, 2004
523 posts
90 upvotes
ctringham wrote: I'm also 24 and do a lot of investing. After years of learning, paying that amount of money for a newspaper is a waste of money in my opinion. The Wall Street Journal for $160 is way better value. Barrons for $60 a year is a must read too.

hi, I'm looking into getting a barrons subscription. so if you don't mind saying, where did you get a barrons subscription for 60 dollars? thanks.
Feb 16, 2009
125 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
IBD is not really worth it. I was subscribed ~ 6 months ago and looking back some of their top picks like LULU did quite well. Of course some of their other picks didn't do too well. O'Neals CANSLIM only works in bull markets and really even then you have to be basically a day trader to pick at right time...

If you kept track of their < $10 stocks and applied the CANSLIM, you'd definitely be in red right now. I did this for fun, kept a portfolio of 20 such virtual stocks and watched them dip lower and lower over the months. When I did invest in AXTI (which has doubled BTW :) ) it was from reading forums like Motley fool, doing my own research (going through their balance sheet etc.).

As for IBD, I no longer subscribe because of their racist and biased articles. Apparently everything Democrat or Muslim is bad :facepalm: