• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2024 7:33 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13098 upvotes
Bevatron wrote: Maybe this video from Hyundai in Brantford will help:

My dealer finally has an Ioniq 5 for test drive - an Ultimate trim.

"My" vehicle arriving this month supposedly.
lol. I just realize all 3 Hyundai/Kia/Genesis trio are all missing rear wipers. Such fails. And I was getting ready for the salesman to drop the $2K ceramic coating pitch.
May 9, 2013
322 posts
254 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
Rear wiper is not even a consideration for me, owned 2 hatchbacks never found a need for a wiper. The lack of a heating steering in the base model is much a more serious omission :)
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
martik818 wrote: Rear wiper is not even a consideration for me, owned 2 hatchbacks never found a need for a wiper. The lack of a heating steering in the base model is much a more serious omission :)
Living in BC, I'm not surprised.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
martik818 wrote: Rear wiper is not even a consideration for me, owned 2 hatchbacks never found a need for a wiper. The lack of a heating steering in the base model is much a more serious omission :)
Don't think many people are buying the Essential trim. I pre-ordered the Essential and they upgraded me to Preferred without asking.

$2.2k for 800V charging , heat pump, heated steering wheel, colour choice etc - its a no brainer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Bevatron wrote: Don't think many people are buying the Essential trim. I pre-ordered the Essential and they upgraded me to Preferred without asking.
Why did they upgrade the trim without your permission? The Preferred trim is obviously better, but it's bad business to randomly change customer orders to a more expensive trim, unless it's a free upgrade.
Last edited by dealseaker101 on Jan 12th, 2022 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
May 9, 2013
322 posts
254 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
Bevatron wrote: Don't think many people are buying the Essential trim. I pre-ordered the Essential and they upgraded me to Preferred without asking.

$2.2k for 800V charging , heat pump, heated steering wheel, colour choice etc - its a no brainer.
How did they advise you of the upgrade and how long after you ordered? Did they charge for the upgrade. Mine is still an Essential. I have no need for 800v or a heat pump in Vancouver. I get by fine on < 100km range now!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
dealseaker101 wrote: Why did they upgrade the trim without your permission? The Preferred trim is obviously better, but it's bad business to randomly change customer orders to a more expensive trim, unless it's a free upgrade.
Because I got a phone call asking what colour I wanted from a salesperson following a query from the "marketing department". I said grey. I did not check colours at the time and did not realize Essential was only available in white. Still they should have told me the trim on the pre-order was changed I think. Also I was surprised the car would be built and shipped without me firming up the order.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
martik818 wrote: How did they advise you of the upgrade and how long after you ordered? Did they charge for the upgrade. Mine is still an Essential. I have no need for 800v or a heat pump in Vancouver. I get by fine on < 100km range now!
Pre-Order conformed by Hyundai for Essential June 3rd
Order Confirmation for Preferred from Hyundai No 5th
November 17th I sent an email to dealership saying we wanted to test drive an Ioniq 5 before firming up our order.(due to change in Hyundai email from pre-order to order)
Notice of shipping and VIN Dec16th

It looks like the dealership has ordered the vehicle on my behalf on the basis I can take it or leave it when it arrives (which I am OK with).
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1015 posts
1056 upvotes
So many issues with the car already(active vents stuck open (ice gets in since the vents are really exposed), 12v battery dying, some owners report of fragile paint so needs PPF (at least front of it), Bluelink laggy and ancient, no preconditioning for rapid charging, etc. . I cancelled my order, it’s too much.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
Latitude57 wrote: So many issues with the car already(active vents stuck open (ice gets in since the vents are really exposed), 12v battery dying, some owners report of fragile paint so needs PPF (at least front of it), Bluelink laggy and ancient, no preconditioning for rapid charging, etc. . I cancelled my order, it’s too much.
References / links would help put these issues into context. I am deciding whether to buy one of these (its being shipped) so I need quality information.

12v battery drain can be caused by things other than fault of the car

PPF is a personal subjective choice - all vehicle paint can be damaged.

Bluelink laggy and ancient comment not supported by the many online reviews - is this as compared to your Tesla Model Y system?

No preconditioning for rapid charging - wont really affect me but sounds like a Tesla comparison type comment (you have a Y).

Did you have an order or a pre-order? Cancelling a recent pre-order is not much of a sacrifice.

It sounds to me like there is an element of rubbishing this vehicle in your post in favour of Model Y which you already own.
Apr 15, 2008
425 posts
392 upvotes
I was contacted by my dealership yesterday claiming they have one Ioniq 5 available as someone's financing didn't go through.
However they said I must confirm by tomorrow as if vehicle is not "sold" the dealership has to return to Hyundai Canada to be redistributed. Not sure how credible this is. I'm most likely not going to take it as its a bit rushed for me, but if anyone in Vancouver is looking for one right now I can try to find out what the specs are and see if I can transfer it to you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
cctw wrote: I was contacted by my dealership yesterday claiming they have one Ioniq 5 available as someone's financing didn't go through.
However they said I must confirm by tomorrow as if vehicle is not "sold" the dealership has to return to Hyundai Canada to be redistributed. Not sure how credible this is. I'm most likely not going to take it as its a bit rushed for me, but if anyone in Vancouver is looking for one right now I can try to find out what the specs are and see if I can transfer it to you.
If what they are saying is true it should be "going back" to Hyundai Canada now (which means closest dealership with someone who has a pre-order for that spec). Do you have a pre-order? If not their story sounds like BS.
Apr 15, 2008
425 posts
392 upvotes
Bevatron wrote: If what they are saying is true it should be "going back" to Hyundai Canada now (which means closest dealership with someone who has a pre-order for that spec). Do you have a pre-order? If not their story sounds like BS.
they said I have to confirm by tomorrow to purchase for them to keep the car on their lot. I do have a pre-order but I only put in the order after the pricing released so like a month ago. My build was originally scheduled to start in July.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
cctw wrote: they said I have to confirm by tomorrow to purchase for them to keep the car on their lot. I do have a pre-order but I only put in the order after the pricing released so like a month ago. My build was originally scheduled to start in July.
That makes sense as you have a standing pre-order. They are not going to move that car across the country because somebody has an earlier pre-order date.

I would go to see the car and make a decision based on how sure you are now and whether you are happy to wait until September or later to get your hands on another or just something else. Keep in mind any "affordable" BEV worth having will have a long waiting list. There is also the risk of losing the rebate through waiting.
Apr 15, 2008
425 posts
392 upvotes
Bevatron wrote: That makes sense as you have a standing pre-order. They are not going to move that car across the country because somebody has an earlier pre-order date.

I would go to see the car and make a decision based on how sure you are now and whether you are happy to wait until September or later to get your hands on another or just something else. Keep in mind any "affordable" BEV worth having will have a long waiting list. There is also the risk of losing the rebate through waiting.
We have on order a rav4 prime as well that's supposed to be available this year as well. Wife kinda likes that more and feels the Ioniq 5 interior is bland and cheap looking. We did test drive it yesterday. The drive wasn't bad, pretty spacious inside and cargo room is sufficient. The decision mainly comes down to the wife + whether we want to bet on a PHEV or BEV for the next decade until tech improves even more.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
cctw wrote: We have on order a rav4 prime as well that's supposed to be available this year as well. Wife kinda likes that more and feels the Ioniq 5 interior is bland and cheap looking. We did test drive it yesterday. The drive wasn't bad, pretty spacious inside and cargo room is sufficient. The decision mainly comes down to the wife + whether we want to bet on a PHEV or BEV for the next decade until tech improves even more.
I personally wouldn't get another PHEV - worst of both worlds. All the ICE issues down the road plus low electric only range. On electric you are carrying around ICE components and on gas you are carrying around EV components. Engine cuts in for power and for heat then has to warm up.

I would get a hybrid over a PHEV unless there was a rebate on the PHEV that made it better value.

PHEVs also have more emissions than claimed:

https://www.transportenvironment.org/di ... n-claimed/

and have been found to produce more VoCs than diesels:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... esels.html
Apr 27, 2009
430 posts
320 upvotes
West Vancouver
Bevatron wrote: References / links would help put these issues into context. I am deciding whether to buy one of these (its being shipped) so I need quality information.

12v battery drain can be caused by things other than fault of the car

PPF is a personal subjective choice - all vehicle paint can be damaged.

Bluelink laggy and ancient comment not supported by the many online reviews - is this as compared to your Tesla Model Y system?

No preconditioning for rapid charging - wont really affect me but sounds like a Tesla comparison type comment (you have a Y).

Did you have an order or a pre-order? Cancelling a recent pre-order is not much of a sacrifice.

It sounds to me like there is an element of rubbishing this vehicle in your post in favour of Model Y which you already own.
I've read about the ice freezing / blocking the vents on the Hyundai Ioniq 5 owners forum. You may want to have a look this forum, as some owners talk about what they like and dislike about the vehicel and google some of the other issue that were mentioned in the post.

Also, when looking at Hyundai Canada paint warranty, they only cover the paint for 3 years, is this because they do not trust their paint.
Apr 27, 2009
430 posts
320 upvotes
West Vancouver
Does anyone know at what level of battery degradation would Hyundai Replace the traction battery under warranty?

Hyundai Canada Language on Traction Battery Warranty

EV System
HYUNDAI AUTO CANADA CORP. EV System Warranty covers the described components up to a total of 96 months from the warranty registration date, or 160,000 KM, whichever occurs first.

WHAT IS COVERED
The following original EV system components which are found to be defective in material and/or workmanship under normal use and maintenance will be covered during the "Warranty Period" described above:
Motor, Inverter unit, VCM, Reduction gear, DC/DC converter, Onboard charger, Onboard charger connector, Trickle charge cable, In Cable Control Box, High Voltage Battery.
Coverage
96 Months / 160,000 KM

VW Canada Language.

High Voltage Limited Warranty
8-year / 160,000 km* – High Voltage System Limited Warranty which includes:

Protection to net 70% remaining battery capacity
High-voltage battery module
Battery housing
High voltage battery
BMS control unit
BMS connector housing
Switch box high voltage battery
Connecting cable for battery module
Module monitor control unit
Cooling element
Connector housing
Transport / recycling cost

I'm concerned about the lack of any wording in the Hyundai Statement about remaining battery capacity, especially how they handled their engine warranty issues.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1275 posts
888 upvotes
ON
Bevatron wrote: I personally wouldn't get another PHEV - worst of both worlds. All the ICE issues down the road plus low electric only range. On electric you are carrying around ICE components and on gas you are carrying around EV components. Engine cuts in for power and for heat then has to warm up.

I would get a hybrid over a PHEV unless there was a rebate on the PHEV that made it better value.

PHEVs also have more emissions than claimed:

https://www.transportenvironment.org/di ... n-claimed/

and have been found to produce more VoCs than diesels:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... esels.html
Glass half full vs half empty
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
Elec2016 wrote: Glass half full vs half empty
PHEV - tank half full, wallet half empty.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)