Ioniq 5 EV

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2024 7:33 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
Kia EV6 is just the Kia version of the Ioniq 5 correct?

I'm looking at one of these or the VW iD4, but that's exceedingly difficult to track down and dealerships in Ottawa are trying to offer me an ICE SUV instead of the iD4 lol.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
sixteen12 wrote: Kia EV6 is just the Kia version of the Ioniq 5 correct?

I'm looking at one of these or the VW iD4, but that's exceedingly difficult to track down and dealerships in Ottawa are trying to offer me an ICE SUV instead of the iD4 lol.
They are similar, but also a bit different.

This guy seemed to like the EV6 a bit more.

Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
sixteen12 wrote: Kia EV6 is just the Kia version of the Ioniq 5 correct?

EV6 and Ioniq 5 uses the same platform (as does the Genesis GV60), there's lots of similiarities but also differences. EV6 has different suspension tuning, also it's more aerodynamic and seems to be more efficient in general.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Dec 30, 2019
191 posts
154 upvotes
Saw an Ionic 5 for the first time yesterday. Now this is a bit embarrassing to admit as an automotive enthusiast, but I was stunned by the size of it. I haven't followed along with the development and wrongly assumed it would have the foot print of an e-Golf! For myself, that throwback hot hatch styling will take some getting used to on something so large!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13099 upvotes
Macfuzza wrote: Saw an Ionic 5 for the first time yesterday. Now this is a bit embarrassing to admit as an automotive enthusiast, but I was stunned by the size of it. I haven't followed along with the development and wrongly assumed it would have the foot print of an e-Golf! For myself, that throwback hot hatch styling will take some getting used to on something so large!
The styling could be the downfall of Ioniq 5 in North America because it looks more like a hatch/wagon than SUV.

That said, I think this is a good starting point for the Hyundai group. A 7 seater version is the next one too arrive while a small one may bow in Europe where range requirement isn't as high.
Last edited by Xtrema on Jan 15th, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 30, 2019
191 posts
154 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: The styling could be the downfall of Ioniq 5 in North America because it looks more like a hatch/wagon than SUV.

That said, I think this is a good starting point for the Hyundai group. Because at 7 seater version is the next one too arrive.
The styling is nice, the materials and finishes aren't as nice as in photos but not bad.

It's about the size of an Audi Q5, much larger than I expected..
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
Test drove the Ioniq 5 with my friend out of curiosity and wanted to explore whether it'd be a viable option for the significant other.
Full disclosure my opinion is probably going to be biased since I own a Model Y however friend whom I went along with does not currently own an EV (although he sat in my Model Y on the way)

- Car looks super cool and I really liked the white top and black bottom color scheme....looks wise I think it looks better than my Model Y, since Model Y looks like an inflated marshmellow.
- Backseat passengers have a stupid ridiculous amount of space...I was in disbelief how much leg room I had
- trunk space is not as large as Model Y however is still decent size....i think because of backseat passenger space there is less trunk space
- frunk space is a little 'bin' and Model Y has a significantly larger frunk....not much else to talk about here
- driver and passenger positioning....coming from a Model Y i felt Ioniq had a bit too much clutter compared to the wide open space in my Model Y. My friend felt the same as well
- Driving dynamics....Ioniq felt more 'car-like' meanwhile Model Y feels 'non-traditional'....think this might come down to preference but i prefer Model Y dynamics
- Acceleration...Ioniq even in sport mode there was a bit of lag before pick-up so this was a bit disappointing..not sure if AWD has the same effect. Model Y the power is instant
- Fun extras....I think the Model Y takes the win here although Ioniq did have some neat features like background ambient noises
- Build quality and materials.....an old Toyota Tercel is probably built better than my Model Y so I think Ioniq takes the win
- Buttons.....practically non-existent on the Tesla so it was nice to press things on the Ioniq

Final thoughts - I realize my opinion is very skewed towards the Tesla and I did mention my opinion is going to be biased but I really wanted to like the Ioniq 5 because I think it looks really cool however I don't think i'll be proceeding based on my own preferences. I also realize the price difference as well so it would ideally boil down to Model 3 (similar to Y) vs Ioniq 5.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
jono454 wrote: Test drove the Ioniq 5 with my friend out of curiosity and wanted to explore whether it'd be a viable option for the significant other.
Full disclosure my opinion is probably going to be biased since I own a Model Y however friend whom I went along with does not currently own an EV (although he sat in my Model Y on the way)

- Car looks super cool and I really liked the white top and black bottom color scheme....looks wise I think it looks better than my Model Y, since Model Y looks like an inflated marshmellow.
- Backseat passengers have a stupid ridiculous amount of space...I was in disbelief how much leg room I had
- trunk space is not as large as Model Y however is still decent size....i think because of backseat passenger space there is less trunk space
- frunk space is a little 'bin' and Model Y has a significantly larger frunk....not much else to talk about here
- driver and passenger positioning....coming from a Model Y i felt Ioniq had a bit too much clutter compared to the wide open space in my Model Y. My friend felt the same as well
- Driving dynamics....Ioniq felt more 'car-like' meanwhile Model Y feels 'non-traditional'....think this might come down to preference but i prefer Model Y dynamics
- Acceleration...Ioniq even in sport mode there was a bit of lag before pick-up so this was a bit disappointing..not sure if AWD has the same effect. Model Y the power is instant
- Fun extras....I think the Model Y takes the win here although Ioniq did have some neat features like background ambient noises
- Build quality and materials.....an old Toyota Tercel is probably built better than my Model Y so I think Ioniq takes the win
- Buttons.....practically non-existent on the Tesla so it was nice to press things on the Ioniq

Final thoughts - I realize my opinion is very skewed towards the Tesla and I did mention my opinion is going to be biased but I really wanted to like the Ioniq 5 because I think it looks really cool however I don't think i'll be proceeding based on my own preferences. I also realize the price difference as well so it would ideally boil down to Model 3 (similar to Y) vs Ioniq 5.
Which dealership did you do the test drive at?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
Bevatron wrote: Which dealership did you do the test drive at?
Don valley North Hyundai
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7813 posts
852 upvotes
Vancouver
Approaching 1000km on car so far, love it, comments daily on how sick it looks and questions about it, thumbs up frequently as well, gives me a chuckle but I am enjoying it for sure, Build and quality is great. If you don't want any hard plastics you gotta go Ultimate but I am fine with my LR Preferred RWD.
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
May 9, 2013
322 posts
254 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
Bevatron wrote: I personally wouldn't get another PHEV - worst of both worlds. All the ICE issues down the road plus low electric only range. On electric you are carrying around ICE components and on gas you are carrying around EV components. Engine cuts in for power and for heat then has to warm up.

I would get a hybrid over a PHEV unless there was a rebate on the PHEV that made it better value.

PHEVs also have more emissions than claimed:

https://www.transportenvironment.org/di ... n-claimed/

and have been found to produce more VoCs than diesels:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... esels.html
Had a Volt 3 years, at least 98% EV mode, might have used 15-20liters/year mostly for engine maintenance mode. Volt NEVER runs ICE for heating or extra power. They can build 5-10x as many PHEV's as BEV's given the same battery resources which has the potential for much greater environmental impact. Argument about lugging around an ICE can also be applied to lugging around unused battery cells in a BEV. Only ICE maintenance I had was an oil change every 2 years

The reason they claim greater emissions for some PHEV survey's is because many of the respondents rarely bothered to charge.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1015 posts
1056 upvotes
Bevatron wrote: References / links would help put these issues into context. I am deciding whether to buy one of these (its being shipped) so I need quality information.

12v battery drain can be caused by things other than fault of the car

PPF is a personal subjective choice - all vehicle paint can be damaged.

Bluelink laggy and ancient comment not supported by the many online reviews - is this as compared to your Tesla Model Y system?

No preconditioning for rapid charging - wont really affect me but sounds like a Tesla comparison type comment (you have a Y).

Did you have an order or a pre-order? Cancelling a recent pre-order is not much of a sacrifice.

It sounds to me like there is an element of rubbishing this vehicle in your post in favour of Model Y which you already own.
I had an order which was supposed to arrive next month. We want another EV (second car is an Acura) and since it’s cheaper than a Tesla Model Y (and to not own 2 identical cars) we had chosen the Ioniq 5 since the Mach E is a no go and the ID4 has issues that bothers us even more (and even more wait time). The ioniq 5 is the only EV that we currently like, without spending 100K+ on it.

These issues are from current owners. Go look group of Ioniq 5 on Facebook. It’s all on it. These issues can happen to any cars but when its been on the road for a month and it already has issues like this , it puts us off. It just look like its premature. I’m sure they will sort out most of these issues eventually but we dont want to deal with this on a brand new car such as this one.

You can say whatever you want but the fact that you did your research on my previous posts is hilarious. And to believe preconditioning doesnt affect you is funny, first time EV owner right ? Unless you intend to never or very rarely fast charge. On longer trips when you need to charge on the road, it is crucial if you dont want to spend twice the time filing up. It’s even more important when you have a car that is capable of 350kw.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
Latitude57 wrote: I had an order which was supposed to arrive next month. We want another EV (second car is an Acura) and since it’s cheaper than a Tesla Model Y (and to not own 2 identical cars) we had chosen the Ioniq 5 since the Mach E is a no go and the ID4 has issues that bothers us even more (and even more wait time). The ioniq 5 is the only EV that we currently like, without spending 100K+ on it.

These issues are from current owners. Go look group of Ioniq 5 on Facebook. It’s all on it. These issues can happen to any cars but when its been on the road for a month and it already has issues like this , it puts us off. It just look like its premature. I’m sure they will sort out most of these issues eventually but we dont want to deal with this on a brand new car such as this one.

You can say whatever you want but the fact that you did your research on my previous posts is hilarious. And to believe preconditioning doesnt affect you is funny, first time EV owner right ? Unless you intend to never or very rarely fast charge. On longer trips when you need to charge on the road, it is crucial if you dont want to spend twice the time filing up. It’s even more important when you have a car that is capable of 350kw.
Been driving Hybrid 15 years, PHEV 4 years and BEV 4 years.

Would have appreciated specific references as requested.

I research everything and back up statements I make.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
martik818 wrote: Had a Volt 3 years, at least 98% EV mode, might have used 15-20liters/year mostly for engine maintenance mode. Volt NEVER runs ICE for heating or extra power. They can build 5-10x as many PHEV's as BEV's given the same battery resources which has the potential for much greater environmental impact. Argument about lugging around an ICE can also be applied to lugging around unused battery cells in a BEV. Only ICE maintenance I had was an oil change every 2 years

The reason they claim greater emissions for some PHEV survey's is because many of the respondents rarely bothered to charge.
Volt was best PHEV ever. It is better than the Bolt. GM is dumb for discontinuing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
martik818 wrote: Volt NEVER runs ICE for heating or extra power.
That's incorrect. I had a Volt and it run the ICE below -10 C for heating. You had to hack the temp sensor to fix that.
Sep 21, 2003
553 posts
75 upvotes
Vancouver
Cisco KId wrote: Approaching 1000km on car so far, love it, comments daily on how sick it looks and questions about it, thumbs up frequently as well, gives me a chuckle but I am enjoying it for sure, Build and quality is great. If you don't want any hard plastics you gotta go Ultimate but I am fine with my LR Preferred RWD.
Did you get the car after the cold spell and snow? Just want to know how's it been in the winter so far and your range? Thanks.
Good deals come to those who wait. Wait too long then the deals gone.
May 9, 2013
322 posts
254 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
mr_raider wrote: That's incorrect. I had a Volt and it run the ICE below -10 C for heating. You had to hack the temp sensor to fix that.
lol Was waiting for that :) Let's qualify that to my Vancouver area where it's -10 about 1 or 2 days every 5 years.
Also, if the hood is unlatched, the ICE will start
Last edited by martik818 on Jan 16th, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2013
322 posts
254 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
spike1128 wrote: Volt was best PHEV ever. It is better than the Bolt. GM is dumb for discontinuing it.
It's better in terms of looks and range but the Bolt is much less complex and probably more reliable. I couldn't get past it's goofy looks.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
martik818 wrote: It's better in terms of looks and range but the Bolt is much less complex and probably more reliable. I couldn't get past it's goofy looks.
Nah man. Volt was one of the most reliable cars GM ever made. Didn't have the massive recalls that Bolt did. Never been warned that it could set my house on fire.

Honestly if I didn't need a bigger back seat I never would have sold mine.
Oct 15, 2017
630 posts
436 upvotes
Canada
How many cameras does the Ioniq 5 have (dashcam, surround cameras), for recording while driving and parked?