[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes

VPS 512MB RAM 10GB SSD unlimited traffic $1/m

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Ionos
EDIT: on mobile browser you need to swipe sideways to see the packages (thank @StrikeLight )

Does not seem time limited or a sale or first X months, just a regular everyday price $1/m (Canadian$) with 12m comitment (VPS-S). PayPal accepted.

What caught my eye is "unlimited traffic". They cap the port at 400Mbs. I transfered almost 1TB since yesterday just to test and it is not slowing down.

Got 1 vCore of Xeon Gold 5120 @ 2.2GHz. Virtualizer is VMWare.

Support is hard to reach, Canadian site keeps looping to US site and back and allows only phone support, but when you reply to your welcome email, you get response.

I think this is the best deal for high traffic VPS in Canada. They also have hourly billed VPSes under Cloud Servers starting from 0.69c/hr but I did not try yet.

Ping to my VPS is little high, the best I got is 14ms from Chicago, IL, everywhere else is 30ms or more but transfer speeds are good.

Ionos website is quirky but if you get used to it, its quite usable.
Last edited by ramon2 on Aug 29th, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
164 replies
Oct 21, 2015
566 posts
755 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wow this is cheaper than a deal I got from 10 years ago! Inflation is reversed!

EDIT

The contract is 1 year. Is it possible they increase after that?
Last edited by texasbruce on Aug 29th, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 2, 2014
272 posts
541 upvotes
$2/mo for 6 months is likely a better deal since it would actually be usable. With 2v cores,2gb ram, 80gb SDD.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1212 posts
2203 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
ah 512MB ram......pass
Nov 24, 2018
129 posts
269 upvotes
ramon2 wrote: Does not seem time limited or a sale or first X months, just a regular everyday price $1/m (Canadian$) with 12m comitment (VPS-S). PayPal accepted.

What caught my eye is "unlimited traffic". They cap the port at 400Mbs. I transfered almost 1TB since yesterday just to test and it is not slowing down.

Got 1 vCore of Xeon Gold 5120 @ 2.2GHz. Virtualizer is VMWare.

Support is hard to reach, Canadian site keeps looping to US site and back and allows only phone support, but when you reply to your welcome email, you get response.

I think this is the best deal for high traffic VPS in Canada. They also have hourly billed VPSes under Cloud Servers starting from 0.69c/hr but I did not try yet.

Ping to my VPS is little high, the best I got is 14ms from Chicago, IL, everywhere else is 30ms or more but transfer speeds are good.

Ionos website is quirky but if you get used to it, its quite usable.
Looks like $1/m for first 6 months, then $25/m after.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1320 posts
1729 upvotes
Montreal
Looks like the 1$/month is for 6 months only, then it goes up to 25$/month. Did I misunderstand something?
Images
  • Screenshot_20210829-140112_Chrome.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6001 posts
7036 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dhomas wrote: Looks like the 1$/month is for 6 months only, then it goes up to 25$/month. Did I misunderstand something?
You're looking at the fancy package with high specs
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: ah 512MB ram......pass
As I said, high traffic.

With that 1TB transfer in 12hrs (nginx), my CPU utilization is 0.8 and memory is 449MB, actually 193MB without buffers.

And it comes with your very own IPv4

So instead of buying those overpriced business packages from your ISP, just get this and wireguard or openvpn to it. Do not forget to set your incoming firewall, Ionos default only allows ports 22,80,443
StrikeLight wrote: Looks like $1/m for first 6 months, then $25/m after.
You are loking at VPS-XL, look at VPS-S
Nov 24, 2018
129 posts
269 upvotes
ramon2 wrote: As I said, high traffic.

With that 1TB transfer in 12hrs (nginx), my CPU utilization is 0.8 and memory is 449MB, actually 193MB without buffers.

And it comes with your very own IPv4

So instead of buying those overpriced business packages from your ISP, just get this and wireguard or openvpn to it. Do not forget to set your incoming firewall, Ionos default only allows ports 22,80,443

You are loking at VPS-XL, look at VPS-S

Ah, on mobile browser you need to swipe sideways to see the packages. Poor mobile browser support for their site. Thanks.
Sep 16, 2013
223 posts
466 upvotes
Calgary
Curious to know what y'all are typically using these for ?
Oct 21, 2015
566 posts
755 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dhomas wrote: Looks like the 1$/month is for 6 months only, then it goes up to 25$/month. Did I misunderstand something?
Swipe left
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1356 posts
1181 upvotes
lowendbox if people actually need vps and want to find deals

pretty much always a deal for $10 usd / year if you need to roll your own vpn
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes
strife wrote: lowendbox if people actually need vps and want to find deals

pretty much always a deal for $10 usd / year if you need to roll your own vpn
Yes, LowEndBox and LowEndTalk are great but there is many startups and RunByNights who basically undersell and disappear.

I often buy from LEB but most sellers disappear. No bother, I get my values worth from it.

Ionos is former 1and1, a global player on same level as OVH, and not going anywhere.
Last edited by ramon2 on Aug 29th, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4620 posts
868 upvotes
I ordered it. Waiting for my control panel details.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
3522 posts
3999 upvotes
Prince George
Tempting. I had some brief downtime yesterday on a server I run and it occurred to me I don't have a hot standby.
Oct 11, 2004
741 posts
156 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
GuchSingh wrote: Curious to know what y'all are typically using these for ?
I'm also curious.

I used to have some web hosting that was only running my RSS aggregator. Nowadays, I'm using my Synology NAS for this and VPN remotely when outside the LAN.

For VPN use, you can get these days tons of options for cheaper.

So what do you guys use this for?

I remember getting a $15 VPS back in the day and the Linux GUI was unusable when remoting into it due to low RAM.
Nov 23, 2018
542 posts
681 upvotes
Underground Bunker
$40/month for windows is a joke
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4933 posts
2153 upvotes
Vancity
Low resolution (320x200) adult site? lol

If I were to write an app that requires server contact, this kind of VPS would be perfect. The question is after this $1/m for 12mo. commitment, what's the regular price?
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3927 posts
1384 upvotes
Belle River
destruct0 wrote: $2/mo for 6 months is likely a better deal since it would actually be usable. With 2v cores,2gb ram, 80gb SDD.
That one is only temporary price, it says it goes up to $7/month after.

I like these cheapos for screwing around, can just re-image it whenever, tunnel thru it occasionally for some reason. Just the other day I was messing with JDownloader and realized it can proxy through multiple connections to get around download limits on those file hosting sites, so I setup tunnels thru a few servers for that purpose. Not worth paying monthly for that but it's a side note situation that popped up.

If I'm being honest with myself though, most end up getting barely used :).
Sep 9, 2018
381 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
When the promo price ends backup, cancel then signup again. I have been doing this for 10+ years for web hosting.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)