Cell Phones

[iOS] anything that works in reverse of Wi-Fi Assist for non-jail broken iPhones ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2016 11:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54651 posts
19445 upvotes

[iOS] anything that works in reverse of Wi-Fi Assist for non-jail broken iPhones ?

Is there an app that will work in reverse so that a non-jail broken iPhone's Wi-Fi will turn on when a recognized broadcast is detected? Just wishing because a free app on Android called Llama works pretty well.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205296

How Wi-Fi Assist works

With Wi-Fi Assist, you can stay connected to the Internet even if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. For example, if you're using Safari with a poor Wi-Fi connection and a webpage doesn't load, Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to cellular so that the webpage continues to load. You can use Wi-Fi Assist with most apps like Safari, Apple Music, Mail, Maps, and more.
When Wi-Fi Assist is activated, you'll see the cellular data icon in the status bar on your device.
Because you'll stay connected to the Internet over cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you might use more cellular data. For most users, this should only be a small percentage higher than previous usage. If you have questions about your data usage, learn more about managing your cellular data or contact Apple Support.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16094 posts
4585 upvotes
Markham
You want the phone to use wifi when detect a wifi?
it already works like that on a iPhone
When I leave my home, iphone switch to Mobile data
when I get to work, iPhone auto connects to work wifi
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54651 posts
19445 upvotes
I want the phone to turn off wifi when it doesn't detect a known wifi and turn on when GPS/location or Siri detects we are at home.

It must be a location based app then.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16094 posts
4585 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote: I want the phone to turn off wifi when it doesn't detect a known wifi and turn on when GPS/location or Siri detects we are at home.

It must be a location based app then.
It already do that without any app. Like I said
When you leave home. It goes to mobile data (if no data plan) wifi won't connect to anything (turn off ask to join networks)
When you get home, phone will auto connect to home wifi.

What other option you need?
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54651 posts
19445 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: It already do that without any app. Like I said
When you leave home. It goes to mobile data (if no data plan) wifi won't connect to anything (turn off ask to join networks)
When you get home, phone will auto connect to home wifi.

What other option you need?
Seems you are saying that at home, both wifi and mobile data are on (say as a starting point). And when I leave the house, the wifi will auto shut off and only mobile data will stay on because the wifi cannot connect to anything (by turning off ask to join networks). Then when I come home, phone will auto connect to wifi.

Sounds like the phone does use wifi signal infrequently or once every so often to ping a known network? Either that or it is using some low energy consumption wifi mode while searching for a recognized wifi signal.