• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 10:13 am
[OP]
Jun 8, 2010
264 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto

IP camera suggestions, please

I previously set up an old smartphone (Nexus 4) with Pavel Khlebovich's IP Webcam app. I used it as an IP camera, looking outside, positioned on my front window sill. However, I noticed yesterday that the battery had swollen, possibly due to the heat or always being plugged in. I've removed the battery, but the phone won't boot with only USB power. I'm looking for recommendations for an alternative solution.

I would like an inexpensive IP camera that can:
  1. Stream live video to a web browser, VLC player, or ONVIF player
  2. Save video locally to micro SD card or to an FTP server (and NOT to a company's cloud service)

The Foscam X1 seems to allow this. The user manual describes using their Windows software to configure the camera's FTP connection, but I'm not sure whether that Windows PC needs to be running 24/7 (i.e., acting as a middle-man, saving the stream to the FTP server). Looking on Amazon, the Yi, Wyze, and Littlelf cameras have attractive prices, but I don't know if they have the features I want.

I'd appreciate feedback on these cameras, or suggestions on other cameras that meet my criteria. Thanks
Happy customer of Fido and Tangerine 😃
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1209 posts
2198 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
I might suggest the Reolink cameras like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B081GX ... LOD6&psc=1

(These often go on sale for $10-15 less)

Well featured, great price and awesome quality. Yes this does onvif and PTZ can be control via onvif. This is a UHD camera so 24x7 storage will huge.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
Can anyone tell me if this Foscam X1 has a stable RTSP stream or is it crappy like wyze?
Also, does the RTSP stream of the X1 work if the camera has no internet access?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
Dahua cameras off ebay, just let it sit in your garage for a few days :P.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: Dahua cameras off ebay, just let it sit in your garage for a few days :P.
I don't get it, do they have insects inside, they smell bad??
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1889 posts
3538 upvotes
I use EZVIZ myself. I have no problems. They often go on sale for $20 cheaper. I'm hoping for a 4K version to come out soon.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ez ... w/14605010

or

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ez ... k/13985446

Just realized it's only $54 on Amazon now.
https://www.amazon.ca/EZVIZ-C6CN-Securi ... 8688&psc=1
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
$21.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2010
264 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you for the suggestions thus far. I don't need PTZ functionality and was hoping for something a little more compact (less depth). These models would be very favourable second options (especially when on sale).
Happy customer of Fido and Tangerine 😃
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8565 posts
897 upvotes
Scarborough
vodka wrote: Can anyone tell me if this Foscam X1 has a stable RTSP stream or is it crappy like wyze?
Also, does the RTSP stream of the X1 work if the camera has no internet access?

Thanks
Get Wyze and flash with RTSP firmware. Wyze only has one way communication (after flashed). You don't need Internet for local streaming.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
Menace wrote: Get Wyze and flash with RTSP firmware. Wyze only has one way communication (after flashed). You don't need Internet for local streaming.
Care to expand on your statement? The RTSP firmware from Wyze is garbage and has constant dropouts on the RTSP stream. And it does NOT have one way communication after flashing it with the Wyze RTSP firmware, it keeps pretty much all other features.

Perhaps you could provide more detail with your response as in firmware from where?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
Gee wrote: Covid 19?
Assuming you mean that they will be coming from China, the shipping time will take care of any kind of Covid potential issue..
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8565 posts
897 upvotes
Scarborough
Sorry, not one way communication, but I can listen to what is going on.

It is the official RTSP firmware. I don't have dropouts at all, the software I use are IP Camera Pro (Android/IOS) and Contacam. No recording needed to my NVR.
vodka wrote: Perhaps you could provide more detail with your response as in firmware from where?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
Gee wrote: This is the firmware he is referring to. It is a lot better than the Wyze firmware.

https://github.com/openipcamera/openipc-firmware
That project died 2 years ago, this is the reason why I haven't bothered. I've seen that some people use it, lots of features, most are not useful form me beside a solid RTSP stream; wish Wyze would get on that, but they have other money making priorities than fixing a shitty RTSP implementation; the word was that their devs CANNOT do better, this was what one of the moderators, a Wyze employee basically said.

I'm looking for something to work out of the box, with support; sure I would go open source but that project is dead unfortunately; I also did not see if that fw allows you to control the IR cut filter independed of the IR LEDs - something which Wyze firmware can do and it's very helpful pointing a camera outside when it's behind the window...
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
Menace wrote: Sorry, not one way communication, but I can listen to what is going on.

It is the official RTSP firmware. I don't have dropouts at all, the software I use are IP Camera Pro (Android/IOS) and Contacam. No recording needed to my NVR.
Out of tons of users, you're the only one with no dropouts on they Wyze RTSP firmware. Interesting, do you have more than 2 cams?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8723 posts
2371 upvotes
I've used dahua stuff and really like the quality. Any suggestions for single cameras for exterior for the driveway? Wyze from the window? Get an exterior case the wyze camera....? but how to wire the USB? Isn't it limited to 6ft?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36194 posts
9452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vodka wrote: That project died 2 years ago, this is the reason why I haven't bothered. I've seen that some people use it, lots of features, most are not useful form me beside a solid RTSP stream; wish Wyze would get on that, but they have other money making priorities than fixing a shitty RTSP implementation; the word was that their devs CANNOT do better, this was what one of the moderators, a Wyze employee basically said.

I'm looking for something to work out of the box, with support; sure I would go open source but that project is dead unfortunately; I also did not see if that fw allows you to control the IR cut filter independed of the IR LEDs - something which Wyze firmware can do and it's very helpful pointing a camera outside when it's behind the window...
I wouldn't say it is dead. I think they took the firmware as far as it can go. The RTSP is working fine. There is nothing to update. The problem with the Wyze is that it is cheap and limited. How much more can you improve on the firmware when the limitation is the hardware?

I have one Wyze camera. I bought it just to see what all the rage is about. It is crap. Mine is sitting in a drawer. If you are serious about security. Spend the money on a proper camera. If you want a toy, Wyze is cheap and dirty.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8565 posts
897 upvotes
Scarborough
vodka wrote: Out of tons of users, you're the only one with no dropouts on they Wyze RTSP firmware. Interesting, do you have more than 2 cams?
No, just one cam in my living room. The others are Foscam C1, Hikvision and Dahua. Only the Wyze and Foscam are for indoor.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8565 posts
897 upvotes
Scarborough
Gee wrote:
I have one Wyze camera. I bought it just to see what all the rage is about. It is crap. Mine is sitting in a drawer. If you are serious about security. Spend the money on a proper camera. If you want a toy, Wyze is cheap and dirty.
Same here. I just wanted to see all the hypes about. When I first got it, there wasn't much support from my apps. I had to type in the URL manually. The drops may relate to the software support.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)