None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2178 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener

Ipad Pro 9.7

My daughter needs an iPad pro with an apple pencil. She does sketches as well as artistic/graphic stuff as a side business. She's looking at the 9.7 32gb with the pencil for $1050 all in. This is the newest model. It seems like a reasonable price point, but it's a lot of $. Any suggestions on a better price?
I've seen a couple on kijiji, but they are'n cheep enough to make it reasonable to take the chance.
Thanks in advance.
32 replies
Oct 26, 2008
150 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
When you say "artistic/graphic stuff" what is she specifically looking to do?

Illustration? Page layout? Graphic Design?

That will determine whether an iPad Pro is a good fit for her. The cheaper alternative is a desktop machine (or laptop) with a Wacom tablet (or equivalent). Does she need portability?

As you said it can be a lot of $$$, so I’d look at all available options.

If she’s a student she may be able to get a educational discount, if purchased through her school.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33722 posts
7364 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
There is nothing wrong with buying on kijiji as long as it is a new product and still sealed in the original packaging. I suggest you look there and save the tax and if you're lucky an extra $50
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3294 posts
1832 upvotes
Calgary
is it just me or does anyone else think $1050 for a tablet is crazy money??? i had to do multiple recaps on a discounted google pixel c for <$500 & still i cant justify pulling the trigger. ended up spending $200 for a mint preowned nexus9. cant imagine paying >1k for a tab :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33722 posts
7364 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
It is worth what people are willing to pay. Apple is obviously moving units at that price. There is no stock pile anywhere.

Personally I think it is crazy to spend that much on ARM. Do you think that is a crazy price for an i5 Surface Pro?

The most I've spent on an iPad was $700 and that was from kijiji

I spent $400 on my Nexus 9
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1743 posts
121 upvotes
First question that comes to my mind is, "What did graphic designers do prior to the iPad Pro?"

I'm sure those alternatives exist now, and at a considerable discount now that they face competition.

Surface tablets come to mind, with what I'm sure are a larger variety of software options.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33722 posts
7364 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Redguard wrote: First question that comes to my mind is, "What did graphic designers do prior to the iPad Pro?"
Before that iPad Pro, there was Pad and Pencil. Cost, 0.99 cents

There was no practical way for an artist to sketch electronically while on the go
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1422 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Apple stuff almost never goes on sale and when it does, it's a mere 20$ off. Basically chump change.

I'd strongly recommend buying it directly from Apple. That way, you're sure to not have any issues with the purchase or have any doubts as to its authenticity. Also very easy to prove the purchase if you ever have to bring it in for repair/exchange.
Oct 26, 2008
150 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
scotsum wrote: is it just me or does anyone else think $1050 for a tablet is crazy money???
It'd say it's a bit much, especially if its only for a side business. For now, I'd make do with a cheaper alternative, but keep an eye out if they happen to go on sale.

Again, it all goes back to what you plan on doing with it. Would an iPad Air suffice?

A good place to look is the apple refurb store. They may have a few…
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2178 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener
Starmax wrote: When you say "artistic/graphic stuff" what is she specifically looking to do?

Illustration? Page layout? Graphic Design?

That will determine whether an iPad Pro is a good fit for her. The cheaper alternative is a desktop machine (or laptop) with a Wacom tablet (or equivalent). Does she need portability?

As you said it can be a lot of $$$, so I’d look at all available options.

If she’s a student she may be able to get a educational discount, if purchased through her school.
Illustration, Page layout, Graphic Design, Sketching and lots of other stuff.

She's been working in advertising for a few years on the client side, but has always followed her love of art. She's a smart woman who's done her research and has decided what she wants.

On a side note, this will be the first piece of hardware she's totally paying for herself. I'm just trying to save her a couple of bucks.

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2178 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener
Gee wrote: There is nothing wrong with buying on kijiji as long as it is a new product and still sealed in the original packaging. I suggest you look there and save the tax and if you're lucky an extra $50
That's what my initial thought was and if I can find one with a receipt or Applecare I'll consider it. Been burnt by BNIB once.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2178 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener
scotsum wrote: is it just me or does anyone else think $1050 for a tablet is crazy money??? i had to do multiple recaps on a discounted google pixel c for <$500 & still i cant justify pulling the trigger. ended up spending $200 for a mint preowned nexus9. cant imagine paying >1k for a tab :facepalm:
:face palm: I guess it depends on what your needs are. She draws and the tools that come with this give her the closest feeling to "the real thing" that she's found. I'm very glad you scored a deal that met your needs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2178 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener
Gee wrote: It is worth what people are willing to pay. Apple is obviously moving units at that price. There is no stock pile anywhere.

Personally I think it is crazy to spend that much on ARM. Do you think that is a crazy price for an i5 Surface Pro?

The most I've spent on an iPad was $700 and that was from kijiji

I spent $400 on my Nexus 9

LOL, I had to look up ARM. Glad you found a deal that met your needs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2178 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener
Gee wrote: Before that iPad Pro, there was Pad and Pencil. Cost, 0.99 cents

There was no practical way for an artist to sketch electronically while on the go

She does lots of pen and paper stuff. Now she wants to do more. Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2178 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener
Starmax wrote: It'd say it's a bit much, especially if its only for a side business. For now, I'd make do with a cheaper alternative, but keep an eye out if they happen to go on sale.

Again, it all goes back to what you plan on doing with it. Would an iPad Air suffice?

A good place to look is the apple refurb store. They may have a few…
I checked it out, nothing there. I like the refurb store and have scored some great deals. I'm on one now. She does a lot of sketching and it's that application in conjunction with the pencil action that she desires. Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2178 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener
Gee wrote: I suggest she goes for it. Worse thing is regret
No argument. I don't see a Thanks? In it's place is a Report Post icon. Anyone care to explain this to me? Thanks
Oct 26, 2008
150 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
sam123 wrote: Illustration, Page layout, Graphic Design, Sketching and lots of other stuff.
Given the wide range of tasks, I'd be inclined to go for a Macbook (or a desktop/ laptop setup) over an iPad. But if she's decided to go the iPad route, then I'd look at the Apple Refurb Store.

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/hom ... ldeals/mac

There are no iPad pro's on there now, but I'd check there to see if any happen to pop up. Kijiji and craigslist are your next options, but you'll need to verify the warranty status before purchase. Just get the SN and run a check on apple site. It'll tell you if the unit is covered.

Apple's Dev conference is on Monday June 13 - if they announce new hardware, the current models will be discounted.