Tags:
[OP]
Apr 25, 2019
340 posts
170 upvotes

ipad purchase

I am looking to buy a basic ipad and seems like one is at 429 at bestbuy

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ap ... y/13893711

It seems like apple is going to release a new processor so there is a chance there will be an entire new lineup. In the next few months is there a chance there will be a new version of this ipad?
Also I see this is 32GB, I believe icloud offers 5gb of free space so thats also a little limited. Similar to android can we put anything in there to increase the storage?
I have a university email address as I just finished a uni program. Will it help in getting student discount?
3 replies
Sep 23, 2013
615 posts
724 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Every September there is a new processor, but these ipads last 5 years easy if all you're doing is basic stuff. So it really doesnt matter if you're on A12, A13, A14. Yes, your Uni email will allow you to buy on the Apple Edu Store for $399. There are lightning usb drives that you can use store media.
No fanboyism here. I only pledge allegiance to the hotness. - Flossy Carter
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21001 posts
7342 upvotes
Toronto
You could wait for the A12 iPad release for $399 with edu discount but there is no guarantee it will be released in a timely fashion, esp. considering the Covid delays. Also I doubt it will get more than 32 GB for the entry level. So depending upon your needs you may want to upgrade to 128 GB.

For storage I would recommend considering getting the $1.29 per month 50 GB iCloud plan and setting the iPad for optimized storage, especially if you stick with the 32 GB model.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17562 posts
9898 upvotes
Ottawa
You could always get the 64GB Air for $619 with current Edu promo and sell the Airpods for $150. That brings it down to well under $500 for the Air with more storage and more up to date chip
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info