• Sep 15th, 2021 3:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4415 posts
681 upvotes
Georgetown

iPad repair? advice / suggestions welcome

I have an iPad (7th gen) that has a cracked screen, and at the top there actually is a hole right through the screen. Interestingly, it still works, but obviously the screen is only going to get worse, and there are now ridges/edges occurring on the visible screen surface so - it needs to be repaired or retired.

I have been looking into repair options, and I am trying to find a good option to to source the replacement parts. I'm willing to take on the repair myself, but if there is a place that would actually do the repair at a reasonable price I would be open to simplifying things (I'm west GTA - Mississauga to Guelph area).

If anyone has done this and is happy with the parts they used, or knows good sources for the required replacement screen and/or repair service, I welcome the input!

Thanks!
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17654 posts
4133 upvotes
Toronto
The problem I have seen with third party screens is the lower quality in comparison to OEM Apple screens.

Personally, I would jump on the new iPad that was announced yesterday.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4415 posts
681 upvotes
Georgetown
audit13 wrote: The problem I have seen with third party screens is the lower quality in comparison to OEM Apple screens.

Personally, I would jump on the new iPad that was announced yesterday.
Yeah... but 429 vs 50/100? is a big jump. This also is meant to teach a bit of a lesson to the person who broke their iPad (ie. you don't just get a brand new device - so take care of what you have)
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11819 posts
3475 upvotes
Ontario
You can get OEM screens or at least very high quality ones but they will be more expensive then what you see online + shipping which may not make it worth it. I used to get them often then I would fix apple products. PM me and I can help point you in the correct direction.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17654 posts
4133 upvotes
Toronto
Tiberius wrote: Yeah... but 429 vs 50/100? is a big jump. This also is meant to teach a bit of a lesson to the person who broke their iPad (ie. you don't just get a brand new device - so take care of what you have)
I understand but I've used iPads and iPhones with 3rd party screens and, because I know how goo the original can look, I was never satisfied unless it was an original Apple screen.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4303 posts
3271 upvotes
Vancouver
Is it only the glass that's damaged? Or the actual LCD display under the glass?

The glass with digitizer part costs about $30-40 (decent quality). It's an easy and inexpensive fix for most shops.

Unlike an iPhone, the display isn't laminated to the glass which makes it simple.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4415 posts
681 upvotes
Georgetown
Spinner wrote: Is it only the glass that's damaged? Or the actual LCD display under the glass?

The glass with digitizer part costs about $30-40 (decent quality). It's an easy and inexpensive fix for most shops.
The ipad seems to be fine and functions perfectly. I figure I can put a screen protector on it if I fix it and the replacement glass doesn't seem as nice/durable. But, ideally I would like the replacement to be decent if I can somehow identify a better quality product.