Art and Photography

iPhone 12 camera lens making things look narrower?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2021 10:17 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7206 posts
3547 upvotes
Montreal

iPhone 12 camera lens making things look narrower?

Upgraded from an iPhone X and Galaxy S9. The iPhone 12 camera has this weird lens effect that makes me look narrow, much skinnier than I am. The selfie camera however does not do that and looks normal. I tried disabling the lens correction in the settings, but that doesnt seem to do anything. What else can be done if anything? Thanks.
Last edited by Madevilz on Aug 9th, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: It's a certified preowned from Fido. You think it could be a camera defect?
Yes if it consistently does that, even after rebooting, clean wipe, and adding back new software updates, it's clearly a hardware defect.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7206 posts
3547 upvotes
Montreal
restartRFD wrote: Yes if it consistently does that, even after rebooting, clean wipe, and adding back new software updates, it's clearly a hardware defect.
I just compared to my wife’s iphone X. Looks like my 1x zoom is much wider than the X’s, that makes everything look more squeezed. I have to go to about 1,5x zoom to make things look a bit more normal. Problem is I cant play with the zoom in portrait mode.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2930 posts
588 upvotes
Newmarket
Madevilz wrote: I just compared to my wife’s iphone X. Looks like my 1x zoom is much wider than the X’s, that makes everything look more squeezed. I have to go to about 1,5x zoom to make things look a bit more normal. Problem is I cant play with the zoom in portrait mode.
on my 12 i can do 1x or 2x in portrait mode. you don't have this option?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7206 posts
3547 upvotes
Montreal
jimmy-j wrote: on my 12 i can do 1x or 2x in portrait mode. you don't have this option?
Nope, maybe because I have the mini?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2930 posts
588 upvotes
Newmarket
Madevilz wrote: Nope, maybe because I have the mini?
not sure what you mean. i don't have the max/plus/big version. i have the 12 pro.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12919 posts
7676 upvotes
Brampton
jimmy-j wrote: not sure what you mean. i don't have the max/plus/big version. i have the 12 pro.
The Pros all have 3 cameras and the Pro Max has a slight different sensor setup.

The Mini is limited to 2 Cameras so it won't have these extra zoom levels.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3115 posts
2243 upvotes
Canadia
Madevilz wrote: I just compared to my wife’s iphone X. Looks like my 1x zoom is much wider than the X’s, that makes everything look more squeezed. I have to go to about 1,5x zoom to make things look a bit more normal. Problem is I cant play with the zoom in portrait mode.
Are you and your wife using the same camera aspect ratio? For full sensor, your camera app should be set to 4:3. Compare to you wife's camera - things will look different on the display if her phone is cropping to 16:9 and yours is set to 4:3.