Cell Phones

iPhone 12 - No contract deal???

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2020 4:46 pm
[OP]
Nov 7, 2020
5 posts

iPhone 12 - No contract deal???

I went to order a new iPhone 12 Pro Max from like I do every year and now they are telling me they won’t discount the phone if I renew my 2 year contract. Is this true?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5355 posts
3819 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
It's all phone financing now. No more device balance discounts unless you are on EPP but even on there, it's like $46 off their marked up price. could wait for black friday as there are always gift card offers.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2020
5 posts
Any reason why they changed this this year? What’s the point of being on a contract if I have no phone discount.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3777 posts
1024 upvotes
Calgary
Reason? Pure greed from the Canadian telcos

If Freedom works in your area, only them can give some discounts. However, if their coverage is not good in your area, don't consider them.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1162 posts
1523 upvotes
Waterloo Region
613Builder wrote: Any reason why they changed this this year? What’s the point of being on a contract if I have no phone discount.
Ask it the other way round. Why should they give you a discount when they can get you to pay full price for it. It's an iphone after all, they aren't short of buyers
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18686 posts
2404 upvotes
Woodbridge
Exactly!

Apple themselves won't give you a discount. The only reason Freedom Mobile is offering the discount is because they're considered as underdogs. I had to convinced my sister that Freedom has changed and their iPhone 11 deal is the best she'll get. She has a corporate plan with Rogers, she's surprised they won't give her anything.

Imagine if Apple matched Samsung's Note 20 Ultra deal.

You gotta pay, to play.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Nov 7, 2020
5 posts
I called Fido and they told me it was Apple who won’t let the telcos offer discounts anymore. Anyways long term I was paying for the initial discount. They always forced me in an expensive plan to get the discount on the phone. I was on a $95 plan with Fido and the same plan (without a phone discount) is $60 now.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17327 posts
3769 upvotes
Toronto
613Builder wrote: I called Fido and they told me it was Apple who won’t let the telcos offer discounts anymore. Anyways long term I was paying for the initial discount. They always forced me in an expensive plan to get the discount on the phone. I was on a $95 plan with Fido and the same plan (without a phone discount) is $60 now.
This does not sound right to me. Apple dictating the retailer's selling price sounds like price fixing.
Nov 7, 2016
207 posts
48 upvotes
Canada
613Builder wrote: I called Fido and they told me it was Apple who won’t let the telcos offer discounts anymore. Anyways long term I was paying for the initial discount. They always forced me in an expensive plan to get the discount on the phone. I was on a $95 plan with Fido and the same plan (without a phone discount) is $60 now.
Of course carriers will blame manufacturers 🤣
Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using the RFD Forums app.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1825 posts
574 upvotes
Edmonton
613Builder wrote: So basically I need to buy the phone outright from now on?
Yes. I found no good deals on carrier contracts, EPP or not. Just a FYI: if you upgrade or cancel before 2 years, the carriers will claw back their “discount”. Yes, discount which they calculate from their inflated MSRP, makes it more expensive than Apple... you might end up paying MORE than MSRP if you upgrade or cancel after a year, for example. I just bought outright from Apple Store this time.