iPhone 13 Does Not Support mmWave in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 9:13 pm
[OP]
Mar 9, 2013
144 posts
318 upvotes

iPhone 13 Does Not Support mmWave in Canada

What do you guys think about the new iPhone 13 Pros also not supporting mmWave here in Canada? Is it a deal breaker in 2021? Or does it not matter due to the slow adoption of mmWave in Canada? Is sub-6GHz 5G support good enough in the near future without mmWave? Should I buy an iPhone 13 Pro Max?

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/09/14/iphone-13-mmwave-5g-remains-us-only/
7 replies
Apr 7, 2007
695 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
There's no mmWave deployment in Canada anyway. Wouldn't make a difference.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4305 posts
3271 upvotes
Vancouver
Mid-band 5G speed is up to 3.5Gbps according to Apple. mmWave is up to 4.0Gbps.

Canadian carriers along with most others around the world aren't deploying mmW for obvious reasons.
Nov 6, 2006
324 posts
283 upvotes
Coquitlam
I was looking for this detail yesterday, thanks for sharing.

So we have to pay significantly more in CAD (after $ conversion) than the US model for less functionality, again. Weak, super weak. Doesn't matter if Canada hasn't deployed mmwave yet, the phone itself should include the antenna and frequencies so when we visit markets that do have mmW we can use it.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4845 posts
3114 upvotes
LaLaLand
d3van wrote: I was looking for this detail yesterday, thanks for sharing.

So we have to pay significantly more in CAD (after $ conversion) than the US model for less functionality, again. Weak, super weak. Doesn't matter if Canada hasn't deployed mmwave yet, the phone itself should include the antenna and frequencies so when we visit markets that do have mmW we can use it.
The ideal situation would be to buy an iPhone from the US.

I think mmwave will be included globally on iPhone 14 as this one seems to be iPhone 12s.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20929 posts
1204 upvotes
Shanghai, China
batcave wrote: The ideal situation would be to buy an iPhone from the US.

I think mmwave will be included globally on iPhone 14 as this one seems to be iPhone 12s.
I think warranty will be an issue. I don't think it's a big deal since there's no mmwave until 2022 at the earliest. I'll be looking at the iPhone 14 by that time.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4845 posts
3114 upvotes
LaLaLand
Sgt_Strider wrote: I think warranty will be an issue. I don't think it's a big deal since there's no mmwave until 2022 at the earliest. I'll be looking at the iPhone 14 by that time.
It could be. I had an iPad that I purchased in the US. I had no problems doing an Apple Care claim in Canada.

Mmwave is important for someone that spends time in the US.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20929 posts
1204 upvotes
Shanghai, China
batcave wrote: It could be. I had an iPad that I purchased in the US. I had no problems doing an Apple Care claim in Canada.

Mmwave is important for someone that spends time in the US.
It's sort of a yes and no even in the US. Unless things have changed since I last checked, mmWave coverage still isn't very good even in the big markets like New York.