Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 25, 2013
143 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg

iPhone 5c : decent phone? Update-last post

I have a family member who is interested in the iPhone 5c. I've never had a iPhone myself so I don't know all the in's and out's. They would likely buy it unlocked from the Apple store.

Their main requirements: Phone is not too large to handle (they don't like cumbersome phones), voice calls are clear (they have a slight hearing problem)

Questions: I've heard some people mention iPhones become slow after OS updates over time? Or does that depend on how much stuff is on the phone (apps, photos etc)? They wouldn't be loading tons of photos etc on the phone and believe 8 GB is enough.

I have a BB Q5 but they are not interested in BB's. I suggested the Moto G (never owned one either) but they claim their friend had issues with it.

Thoughts?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38214 posts
24393 upvotes
Center of Universe
6S and 6plusS coming out soon.
You should be able to get a 5 or 5S for a decent price...I say skip the 5C.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2013
143 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
The 5s is much better as in specs? Or?
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7276 posts
1326 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
krackerjack wrote: The 5s is much better as in specs? Or?
Here is a comparison table:
http://store.apple.com/ca/iphone/compare

The 5S is better but for their usage the spec difference may not matter much. The 5S is all aluminum while the 5C has a plastic back.
The 5S is also quiet a bit more expensive.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38214 posts
24393 upvotes
Center of Universe
krackerjack wrote: The 5s is much better as in specs? Or?
This is how I look at the two devices.
5c = ipod that has started to hit the gym.
5 or 5S = ipod on steroids! LOL.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2013
143 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
The 5s is quite is more expensive. As vkizzle mentioned, maybe it will go down in price when the new iPhones come out. But likely for what they need the 5c would be adequate. One of my relatives said "Screw it! Instead of looking for a smart phone just buy a flip phone! " Lol.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7276 posts
1326 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
krackerjack wrote: The 5s is quite is more expensive. As vkizzle mentioned, maybe it will go down in price when the new iPhones come out. But likely for what they need the 5c would be adequate. They told me if they couldn't find one that suited them, they would go back to a flip phone.
If they will continue selling them.
Note how there is no iPhone 4s or 5 on the site.
So yeah it may go down in price or it may just get discontinued ones the new phones come out this Fall
Steam: SpectralMeat
Nov 1, 2004
678 posts
66 upvotes
York
krackerjack wrote: I have a family member who is interested in the iPhone 5c. I've never had a iPhone myself so I don't know all the in's and out's. They would likely buy it unlocked from the Apple store.

Their main requirements: Phone is not too large to handle (they don't like cumbersome phones), voice calls are clear (they have a slight hearing problem)

Questions: I've heard some people mention iPhones become slow after OS updates over time? Or does that depend on how much stuff is on the phone (apps, photos etc)? They wouldn't be loading tons of photos etc on the phone and believe 8 GB is enough

Thoughts?
Yes iphone becomes slower when you upgrade the os. You can decide to keep the older version.

Keep in mind part of 8gb will be taken up by os so if they take pictures and videos it will fill up fast.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6103 posts
649 upvotes
SW Ontario
I'd follow the advice from the posts above. Depending how urgent it is. Timing can mean saving a few hundred dollars and/or getting a better phone for the same price.

That said, we have two iPhone 5c in our house, and they have been great. That was an upgrade from iPhone 4 that we had before them. We got them after the 6 was announced, and they still had the 16gb versions available. After the announcement they dropped the prices way down on them, then discontinued that size shortly after.

Terrific phones, and have held up to a lot. We also chose the 5c instead of the 6 as we prefer the slightly smaller screen for single hand operation. We should be able to get at least another 2+ years out of them, if we don't decide to get something different before that.

I think only the 8gb version is available now, but the same processing speed as ours (not sure on RAM), but it's plenty snappy after the most recent updates. Down the line it could become sluggish, but even our iPhone 4 is still usable with the last update it was able to get. We went to wind for a bit, hence the phone change as the 4 wasn't compatible (on koodo now)

Call clarity is great.

For someone who wants the requirements that you mention it should be a great fit. I find it more stable intuitive than the androids we had, little 'simpler'. But I guess that can be debated. Less issues in general in my experience.
Jan 29, 2013
368 posts
348 upvotes
toronto
I would suggest to look for Iphone 5S deal, It has 64bit new chip, finger scanner (very usefull) and looks more premium. Buy 5S, it will last one year longer than 5C. Plus 5C is only 8gb which is not enough for lots of people and wouldn't be able to update on air with new updates. Wait & look for 5S.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21254 posts
7664 upvotes
Toronto
iPhone 5c is decent but 8 GB is not.

Friends don't let friends buy 8 GB iPhones.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2013
143 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
I took them to the Apple store and they looked at both models. I mentioned the 5 S, 16 GB and maybe wait until the new phone models come out, price drops. They were undecided. We ended up at Best Buy and they bought the BB Q5 on Telus prepaid. I own the Q5 and like it. For their needs they thought it was suitable. I ended up buying a back up for myself lol. So far so good. They like the BB. :)

Thank you everyone for your input.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13475 posts
4368 upvotes
Buy 5s at 16 or 32. Soon, the 5s will become 8 gigs. It will become useless.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)