Cell Phones

Are Iphone 6s locked to service provider when shipped without a sim card?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2017 10:22 am
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
115 posts
39 upvotes
ottawa

Are Iphone 6s locked to service provider when shipped without a sim card?

Just bought a phone still sealed in the original apple packaging from a Telus customer. The sim card was shipped separately.

Anyone know first hand if the phones are shipped unlocked and only lock once the sim is inserted?

With the exception of this link, http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... d-id/37331 I have not found any other sources.

Thanks to anyone who can confirm this .
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18840 posts
6041 upvotes
Toronto
I can tell you that I got a Bell 6s plus 64 GB directly from Bell in October, 2016 in a sealed box. When I inserted a Rogers sim card, it would not activate until I put in a Bell sim card. It is my understanding that iPhones are locked to a carrier by Apple using "master databases" with a database for each carrier that received an iPhone and for iPhones sold directly by Apple.

If it is true that some iPhones lock to the first carrier sim inserted, it may be a real hassle to unlock a Telus iphone if it was activated using a Rogers sim card.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
115 posts
39 upvotes
ottawa
audit13 wrote: I can tell you that I got a Bell 6s plus 64 GB directly from Bell in October, 2016 in a sealed box. When I inserted a Rogers sim card, it would not activate until I put in a Bell sim card. It is my understanding that iPhones are locked to a carrier by Apple using "master databases" with a database for each carrier that received an iPhone and for iPhones sold directly by Apple.

If it is true that some iPhones lock to the first carrier sim inserted, it may be a real hassle to unlock a Telus iphone if it was activated using a Rogers sim card.
Thanks. Was just trying to figure out what kind of a hassle I was in for. Did you ever get it unlocked?

I want to use it on the Fido (Rogers) network.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
513 upvotes
dTinman wrote: Thanks. Was just trying to figure out what kind of a hassle I was in for. Did you ever get it unlocked?

I can confirm mine were locked to the carrier, Koodo, and I did try a Fido and Bell sim first just to test. iPads OTOH come factory unlocked, It's $50 to unlock and you're best to do it with the current carrier.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18840 posts
6041 upvotes
Toronto
dTinman wrote: Thanks. Was just trying to figure out what kind of a hassle I was in for. Did you ever get it unlocked?

I had it unlocked via bell for $50 plus tax.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1860 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
dTinman wrote: Just bought a phone still sealed in the original apple packaging from a Telus customer. The sim card was shipped separately.

Anyone know first hand if the phones are shipped unlocked and only lock once the sim is inserted?

With the exception of this link, http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... d-id/37331 I have not found any other sources.

Thanks to anyone who can confirm this .
When I work at one of big3 warehouse all phone that we receive are unlock. Before they release we reprogram all phone except iPhone, they come in locked by carrier so even you received sealed it will be lock. The only unlocked iPhone are the one you buy outright at apple store.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21025 posts
7361 upvotes
Toronto
Don't quote me on this, but I believe when you receive a Rogers iPhone, you can activate it with a Fido SIM, and vice versa. However, once activated, it is locked to that carrier, so you can't use a Rogers activated iPhone on Fido or a Fido activated iPhone on Rogers.

This doesn't apply to Telus / Koodo / Public Mobile though.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3814 posts
613 upvotes
Telus Iphone unlocks are $70 on Ebay
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
115 posts
39 upvotes
ottawa
Thanks for all the great advice. The RFD community is awesome.

Since the person sold me phone that was a free (ish) upgrade to an existing plan, do I still have to wait 90 days before it can be unlocked by Telus? I'm a little hesitant of using ebay codes for Iphones.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21025 posts
7361 upvotes
Toronto
dTinman wrote: Thanks for all the great advice. The RFD community is awesome.

Since the person sold me phone that was a free (ish) upgrade to an existing plan, do I still have to wait 90 days before it can be unlocked by Telus? I'm a little hesitant of using ebay codes for Iphones.
There are no eBay codes for iPhones. You pay your money and then they unlock it for you on the server. However, these unlocks are not really legit. My understanding is they essentially pay a person who has authorized access to the server to do the unlock but the access for this particular phone would not be authorized so they are doing it under the table.

So what does that mean? It means that even if the unlock works, it's possible the unlock will get reversed months down the line if somebody finds out. That said, I had an iPhone 4 unlocked for $8 back in 2015 and it is still unlocked now. However in that case it was only $8, and it was just a backup phone anyway. Not a big deal to risk $8 on a backup phone, but a reversal on an unlock that cost $100 on a primary phone would be damn irritating and inconvenient.

Basically these days it's best to get a legit carrier unlock for $50 whenever possible, since it's cheaper anyway. However that still won't solve the problem for an iCloud activation lock, which has nothing to do with carrier support. That is an Apple feature to prevent people accessing an iPhone without permission, but sellers always forget to turn this off feature, causing big headaches for the buyers. That wouldn't be a problem for if it is truly a sealed new phone but occasionally unscrupulous sellers will reseal previously used iPhones.

So, I personally only ever buy new iPhones (usually factory unlocked from the Apple Store) or else occasionally iPhones from third party refurb stores. These third party stores will exchange a iPhone in their warranty period if they have unlock or blacklist problems.
Jun 22, 2017
2 posts
Did they unlock it after the 90 day waiting period or before?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)