• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2019 5:04 pm
[OP]
Nov 18, 2013
287 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto

Iphone 7 - Microphone and Headphone Jack Fail

So we are on our second Iphone 7 that has lost microphone and headphone capabilities right after the warranty expired. Anyone else had this issue? When it happened with my daughter Apple did absolutely nothing and the phone basically became a paper weight. Now it's happening with my son's phone (we bought both with no apple care as we had no idea what pieces of crap apple products are). This also happened to my niece's Iphone 7 right after the warranty expired. I did some research and apparently it's because of their crap components and flawed design.

I'm curious if anybody has been able to argue for a replacement with Apple Canada. I see there is now a class-action lawsuit in the US but nothing here in Canada.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
1325 posts
129 upvotes
Do you mean the actual headphone jack or the lightning port? Iphone 7 is the first iphone to get rid of the headphone jack, so you’re either referring to another older model (likely 6/6s) or something went wrong with the lightning port (which seems fragile; I had issues with my old babied 5s intermittently charging in the past)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9792 posts
4965 upvotes
Markham
pinkmanwhite wrote: So we are on our second Iphone 7 that has lost microphone and headphone capabilities right after the warranty expired. Anyone else had this issue? When it happened with my daughter Apple did absolutely nothing and the phone basically became a paper weight. Now it's happening with my son's phone (we bought both with no apple care as we had no idea what pieces of crap apple products are). This also happened to my niece's Iphone 7 right after the warranty expired. I did some research and apparently it's because of their crap components and flawed design.

I'm curious if anybody has been able to argue for a replacement with Apple Canada. I see there is now a class-action lawsuit in the US but nothing here in Canada.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
How do you know it's because Apple products are crap or your kids don't know how to take care phones
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6300 posts
3361 upvotes
Mississauga
smartie wrote: How do you know it's because Apple products are crap or your kids don't know how to take care phones
Probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

The headphone jack on my daughter’s SE died after 2 years of ownership but I attributed it more to abuse. But the position of the jack on the bottom of the phone I think subjects it more to potential damage anyway.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2013
287 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
EM_K19 wrote: Do you mean the actual headphone jack or the lightning port? Iphone 7 is the first iphone to get rid of the headphone jack, so you’re either referring to another older model (likely 6/6s) or something went wrong with the lightning port (which seems fragile; I had issues with my old babied 5s intermittently charging in the past)
It's not the actual port...it's something inside the phone with how it was constructed, and yes my daughter's was an iPhone 7 and my son's is an iphone 7 plus. We went through the whole apple store song and dance where they diagnosed it as an internal hardware problem - cannot be fixed and your only option is to buy a new phone. This problem affects both the ability to hear through headphones and the ability to speak into the phone. You can't talk on the phone, record videos or voice memos, talk to siri etc.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2013
287 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: How do you know it's because Apple products are crap or your kids don't know how to take care phones
I think the US class-action lawsuit against Apple for this specific issue is an indicator that their products are crap and that they don't care about their customers. But thanks for your input.