None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5927 posts
531 upvotes
Kanata

Iphone/Ipad on Speakout/Petro Thread-Tips and discussions

OK, after seeing the long thread of Android on Speakout and lack of support when I am trying to setup iphone on Petro canada mobility data, I decide to create this thread for tips and discussions on using iphone/iOS on Speakout or Petro canada mobility, hopefully this would be helpful.

I will start OP and will try to add useful discussions/tips from other users to the OP later on.

1. Which iphone/ipad works:

Any rogers locked or unlocked iphone work on SO/Petro $10 unlimited webbrowsing (UMB), for iphoen 4 and iphone 4s, you need to cut your sim to microsim size and it will work fine. There is no promise on getting 3g speed from SO/Petro, but most people (pretty much everyone) have reported getting 3g speed.

Also, it is confirmed that ipad 3g also works.

2.Setting up iphone:

Iphone is actually easier to setup than Android to work with UMB, no need to Jailbreak. Here is a detailed instructions on how to setup iphone to work with SO/Petro's $10 UMB, it is originally post from unofficial 7-11 forum from a user named "Kieran Huggins".

Download the iPhone Configuration Utility (free from Apple):
http://support.apple.com/downl…..r_Mac_OS_X
Launch it.
Click on "Configuration Profiles" in the left column.
Click the "New" button in the top left corner.
Under the "General" section fill in the "Name" and "Identifier" fields with whatever you like, I used:
Name: "Speakout Wireless"
Identifier: "com.speakout.wireless"
In the "Advanced" section, enter the following:
APN: "goam.com"
User Name: "wapuser1"
Password: "wap"
Proxy Server: "10.128.1.69"
Port: "80"
Then attach your iPhone to the computer, it will show up in the left column under Devices. When you see it, click on it to select it.
In the right screen, click the "Configuration Profiles" tab. You should see the "Speakout Wireless" configuration you just created.
Click the "Install" button next to it.
Your iPhone will now prompt you to install the profile, which should take just a few seconds.

Note: It's been reported that the user name and password is not needed, you can try to set up without that.

For windows, you can find iphone configuration utility here
http://support.apple.com/downloads/iPho ... or_Windows

For Petro Canada Mobility, I only modify the name to "Petro Canada Mobility" and identifier to "com.petrocanadamobility.wireless", the rest of them are the same.

3. Apps that works/does not work on UMB
Basically most apps other than voip apps work, will add the list if more users confirm them (Thx "bofh" for sharing his/her list)

Works on UMB: Youtube, weather, maps, emails setup using microsoft exchange, Tapatalk, Kijiji, ebay, RFD apps, textme, browsing, Gmail, Google Search, textPlus (Push notification does not work), eBuddy, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ (messenger excluded), Kindle, Flibboard, Google Currents, Maps, Places, REALTOR.ca, SpeedTest (download only), RBC Mobile, Air Canada (partially), tuneIn radio (some stations), IMDB, Cineplex Mobile, RunKeeper

Does not work on UMB: All voip apps (include skype, viber, magicjack, sip apps, dell voice), imessage, facetime, Siri, WhatsApp, Waze (GPS), downloading apps from APP store does not work but you can view them.

4 Emails:

Gmail and hotmail works by setting them up as a microsoft exchange account in native email app. I am not sure about Yahoo email, which is not working for me.

5. Speakout vs Petro Canada Mobility
They are pretty much the same company, both works on Rogers network, and works with unlocked/rogers locked phone, has $10 UMB options, 25 per minute charge and $1.25 911 fee per month. The main differences are below:
1) Speakout top ups have longer expire date, all top ups including $25 top up expires in a year. While for Petro canada mobility, only $100 expires in a year, $25 expires on 360 days. This won't make any difference if you are using phone more than emergency or using the $10 UMB option.

2). Petro's sim card/top up card can be bought on any petro canada gas stations, which is much easier to find than 7-11 stores. However, nowadays, both sim can be bought on line and top ups can be done online.

3). Petro has more options on monthly plan, including $50 unlimited everything plan (update: this unlimited everything plan is now not offered any more) which SO does not offer. Petro Canada mobility's UMB add on the monthly plan is $8 which is $2 cheaper than SO which is still at $10

4). In the past, So has promotions with buying $100 top up, they give you $25 bonus (about twice a year). However, there is no guarantee that the promotion will happen the same in the future. On Petro Canada mobility, if you top up $100, there is $10 bonus ( you get $110) all the time. (One more tips, you can buy petro's top up at Petro gas station using MBNA SC card to earn 3% cash back).

6. Alternative prepaid options if you want full data:
OK, for some one wants full data but don't use lots of data, here are some of my suggestions:
1): Rogers prepaid.

I have used this option so I can share my experience. As much as I hate the big 3, Rogers and Telus prepaid are in fact decent compare to competitions. Keep in mind all prepaid, including SO/Petro/Rogers/Bell/Telus offers free caller ID, which is nice compare to the contract plans.

For rogers, you need to buy $100 top ups which give you long expiration (1 year)+ best plan. For which, if you call a lot during weekends/evenings you can choose either 1 cents/m weekend/evening(8pm to 8am), and 40 cents/m other times. As far as I know, this is pretty much the only prepaid plan which gives you pretty much unlimited evening/weekends minutes. If you call more on day times, choose their first 5 minutes for 25 cents/m, and 15 cents/m after that. For data, you can buy the $10 for 100M of full data, or $2 day pass, $7 week pass. You can use dell voice on data to reduce your voice minutes and real voice as a back up, use imessage/textplus/whatapps on data for sms. Rogers prepaid also allows you to use it in US (although roaming charge is high). 911 fee is only 75 cents but incoming text is not free unless you buy texting pack and voice mail minutes are not free.

2)Telus prepaid is similar to Rogers but with more add-on options, you can buy $10/100M data, $25 for 500M and $30 for 1G or you can add 250M data+unlimited texting for $20 (this plan has been discontinued and only for grandfathered users), once you subscribe any of the add-on, your per minutes rate is down to 20 cents/m. 911 fee is also 75 cents.

3) Tablet plans. As from deckking and many other people suggest, you can use tablet plan (ipad plan) in iphone which typically gives you a bit more data usage for the same price. I believe it is 250M for $15 or 500M for $20. You can use dell voice for voice calls. However, I have no experience with this and not sure if Robellus check with that.

OK, I am done with my own post, will add useful tips in this thread to OP in the future.
272 replies
Nov 19, 2008
38 posts
10 upvotes
This is a great post for those who want to use Iphone on PetroCanada network & SpeakOut network.

I would like to share my experience as well: If you want to use everything on Iphone (especially those VOIP related & iMessage), you could think of the following approach as well:

Get a Rogers 500MB data plan for $20 (just the data plan, as the one used for tablet), it comes with 500MB data/mth and 125 sent msg + unlimited receive msg. Then install Dell voice to have free unlimited Canada minutes (inbound & outbound).

In this way, all your apps & iMessage works and you have unlimited Canadian minutes and some text msg. The only shortcoming is it is only 500MB/mth and won't be enough for you if you watch lots of Youtube. Other than that, it's perfect.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5927 posts
531 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks, deckking, I have been thinking of use a tablet plan. It is in fact much better priced than data on a phone plan. I just have no idea whether rogers check whether you are using it for a tablet or phone. Also, dell voice is good but I have not been able to rely on it as my sole number, needs more ppls to share their experience. Also, voip use about 1M per minutes call, so on low data cap, voip over data minutes should still be watched. But 500M is probably not a problem.
deckking wrote: This is a great post for those who want to use Iphone on PetroCanada network & SpeakOut network.

I would like to share my experience as well: If you want to use everything on Iphone (especially those VOIP related & iMessage), you could think of the following approach as well:

Get a Rogers 500MB data plan for $20 (just the data plan, as the one used for tablet), it comes with 500MB data/mth and 125 sent msg + unlimited receive msg. Then install Dell voice to have free unlimited Canada minutes (inbound & outbound).

In this way, all your apps & iMessage works and you have unlimited Canadian minutes and some text msg. The only shortcoming is it is only 500MB/mth and won't be enough for you if you watch lots of Youtube. Other than that, it's perfect.
Feb 14, 2002
252 posts
79 upvotes
rivet wrote: 2.Setting up iphone:

In the "Advanced" section, enter the following:
APN: "goam.com"
User Name: "wapuser1"
Password: "wap"
The user name and password seem to be unnecessary. I do not have these set and UMB continues to work.
3. Apps that works/does not work
Basically all apps other than voip/texting apps work, will add the list if more users confirm them

Workes on UMB: Youtube, weather, facebook, maps, emails setup using microsoft exchange, textplus, textme, browsing and pretty much everything not listed below

Does not work on UMB: All voip apps (include skype, viber, magicjack, sip apps, dell voice), imessage, facetime, Siri
You say voip/texting do not work, but you list texting apps as working :-). I use textplus and that works. However, push notifications do not work well as you do not have a proper IP for the push to work.

Some instant messaging apps continue to work and some do not work.
Works: ebuddy
Does not: IM+, imo, WhatsApp

Here's my list of apps that I have working:
Gmail, Google Search, textPlus, eBuddy, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ (messenger excluded), Kindle, Flibboard, Google Currents, Maps, Places, REALTOR.ca, SpeedTest (download only), RBC Mobile, Air Canada (partially), tuneIn radio (some stations), IMDB, Cineplex Mobile, RunKeeper

Not working:
WhatsApp, STM, Waze (GPS), any VOIP app
4 Emails:

Native email app does not work, gmail and hotmail works by setting them up as a microsoft exchange account. I am not sure about Yahoo email, which is not working for me. Not sure about whatapps, need confirmation.
I have the native e-mail set up with 2 Microsoft Exchange accounts (Google) and it works perfectly fine (minus the push notifications).

The other thing that you should be aware of is that the Find my iPhone functionality does not work when you are on UMB and seems like you are offline. When you get back to the wifi, you will be found again.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
48673 posts
5568 upvotes
Toronto
Darn It.. I only got 1 month of real Data before they blocked the ports.. Damn you to the people who abused It so hard..

All I wanted was texting with push notifications so I would save the extra $10/month!

Someone needs to create an auto proxy just like how the Android has one!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5927 posts
531 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks for the discussions and some of the corrections, I will update OP soon to reflect that. By the way, what is "STM"
bofh wrote: The user name and password seem to be unnecessary. I do not have these set and UMB continues to work.

You say voip/texting do not work, but you list texting apps as working :-). I use textplus and that works. However, push notifications do not work well as you do not have a proper IP for the push to work.

Some instant messaging apps continue to work and some do not work.
Works: ebuddy
Does not: IM+, imo, WhatsApp

Here's my list of apps that I have working:
Gmail, Google Search, textPlus, eBuddy, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ (messenger excluded), Kindle, Flibboard, Google Currents, Maps, Places, REALTOR.ca, SpeedTest (download only), RBC Mobile, Air Canada (partially), tuneIn radio (some stations), IMDB, Cineplex Mobile, RunKeeper

Not working:
WhatsApp, STM, Waze (GPS), any VOIP app

I have the native e-mail set up with 2 Microsoft Exchange accounts (Google) and it works perfectly fine (minus the push notifications).

The other thing that you should be aware of is that the Find my iPhone functionality does not work when you are on UMB and seems like you are offline. When you get back to the wifi, you will be found again.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5927 posts
531 upvotes
Kanata
Me too, I bought a $100 top up because of the full data. The current UMB is not bad, it is just I still have get the 200 voice minutes plan for $20 per month now with Petro because Dell voice does not work.
With full data, I could have just lived with any time plan, and not use any voice mintues and text package at all.

Android's auto proxy does not really provide much advantage over iOS, most voip apps do not work as well. The main difference is that skype on android somehow worked. Other than that, the apps working are pretty much the same even after autoproxy.
Jimboski wrote: Darn It.. I only got 1 month of real Data before they blocked the ports.. Damn you to the people who abused It so hard..

All I wanted was texting with push notifications so I would save the extra $10/month!

Someone needs to create an auto proxy just like how the Android has one!
Feb 14, 2002
252 posts
79 upvotes
rivet wrote: Thanks for the discussions and some of the corrections, I will update OP soon to reflect that. By the way, what is "STM"
STM is the Montreal Transit app for bus and metro (subway) schedules. Probably not very useful for you in Kingston :-).
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4749 posts
121 upvotes
Oakville
I have an original iPad Wifi+3G. Can I just get the sim card and activate UMB for $10/month or do I have to have some additional monthly voice along with it?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
48673 posts
5568 upvotes
Toronto
gmark2000 wrote: I have an original iPad Wifi+3G. Can I just get the sim card and activate UMB for $10/month or do I have to have some additional monthly voice along with it?

Yup you can do only UMB for $10/month.. That's what I'm on..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5927 posts
531 upvotes
Kanata
I believe you forget the $1.25 911 fee.
Jimboski wrote: Yup you can do only UMB for $10/month.. That's what I'm on..
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
2079 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
iMessage works on wifi though correct?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)