Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17816 posts
831 upvotes

Are iPhone screens really fragile?

My wife and I are considering new iPhones for our new phones in the next month or two. Our issue is that we are used to android and their screens seem to be stronger, we have no idea if that's a fact at but everyone we know seems to have cracked their screen. We have never cracked the screen on our androids and they get dropped a lot.

It was my understanding that they use the same screen tech don't they? Ours would be put into a case of some kind with screen protector of some kind.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
163 upvotes
I have had the iPhone 3 4 and 6. I have never cracked a screen, but it seems like everyone else has an iPhone with a busted screen.
Jul 16, 2013
811 posts
303 upvotes
Get a good case. The cases that have some give always. For example a silicon case. I have never cracked mine. Owned 4 of them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1860 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Any phone if you drop it in bad position screen will break, the only thing you can do to avoid that is to put good case. Best case for it will be otterbox any series will be a big help, I already tested with all my device.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
442 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Flip cases, even the fake leather ones, are surprisingly effective against drops. Even if the screen is face down, the flip cover closes by itself during the drop.
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
If you drop your phone in a certain way the screen would crack without any sort of protection. Ofcourse some are a bit more durable then others, but with a decent case and a screen protector. You should be scratch / crack free in many situations.

But the Motorola Droid Turbo 2 is a monster.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19139 posts
2860 upvotes
Woodbridge
It's all base on luck.

My girl at work, dropped her phone chest high with an OtterBox and the screen was smashed but still useable.

I've dropped one from shoulder high and I swear not a single dent or even a scratch, no case. This happened while walking to LA Fitness.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17816 posts
831 upvotes
We would certainly be putting them in cases, regardless of the brand we bought.

The 6s seems to be pretty impressive actually. My choices right now are between the 6s+, the 6P and the Z5.

All seem like great phones. Just the iphone lacks memory and costs more...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5873 posts
3877 upvotes
Simple: don't drop it.
Cases suck. They make an aluminum, nice looking phone, and you're putting some cheap plastic on it...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17816 posts
831 upvotes
hvwozq wrote: Simple: don't drop it.
Cases suck. They make an aluminum, nice looking phone, and you're putting some cheap plastic on it...
Looks are far less important to me as function.

Thanks for your input though.
Dec 11, 2010
675 posts
514 upvotes
Put on a screen protector (please, buy the dry application one for durability and appearance) and you are good to go.
Both my gf's 5s (switched to 6s) and my Sony Z3c dropped a thousand time over the past one and half year, and nothing ever happen to the screen.
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
nano wrote: I have had the iPhone 3 4 and 6. I have never cracked a screen, but it seems like everyone else has an iPhone with a busted screen.
Confirmation bias probably. Most people have an "iphone" vs any single other brand of phone. Plus a lot of clumsy people own them since they are "cool" to have.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9625 posts
2603 upvotes
Toronto
Get a glass screen protector. If it drops there is a *chance* that the screen protector breaks and absorbs some of the energy thus saving the screen underneath.
Dec 2, 2012
52 posts
187 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Have owned many different brands of phones and have not noticed the screen being any more fragile on an iPhone. Although I always put a screen protector on and usually use a case!
Dec 1, 2012
320 posts
114 upvotes
Victoria
Two thoughts.

#1: There was an issue with the iPhone 6 and the 6plus in particular, with bending. Apple addressed this in the "S" phones by adding significantly thicker glass, that's why the new phones are just over 10% heavier than the previous gen. Apple says the thicker glass is because of 3D touch, but I call BS. Thicker glass was the only way to significantly address the bending issue without seriously altering the body of the phone. A side effect should be that they'll be less prone to breaking when dropped. Thick glass makes a durable phone and it's one of the reasons Nokia's Lumias were always heavier than other phones.

#2: a flip case is probably the best thing you can use to protect the glass, and it means you don't have to get a massively chunky Otterbox or the like. Flip cases that fold along the vertical edge (like a book) are much nicer to shoot pictures with. Ones that fold along the bottom are a PITA for doing landscape photography and video. (people that shoot vertical video should be taken out behind the wood pile anyway)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5873 posts
3877 upvotes
gwydionjhr wrote: #1: There was an issue with the iPhone 6 and the 6plus in particular, with bending. Apple addressed this in the "S" phones by adding significantly thicker glass, that's why the new phones are just over 10% heavier than the previous gen. Apple says the thicker glass is because of 3D touch, but I call BS. Thicker glass was the only way to significantly address the bending issue without seriously altering the body of the phone. A side effect should be that they'll be less prone to breaking when dropped. Thick glass makes a durable phone and it's one of the reasons Nokia's Lumias were always heavier than other phones.
They're using a different type of aluminum, not thicker glass, to prevent bending.
Dec 1, 2012
320 posts
114 upvotes
Victoria
Again, I call BS. There is not significantly more aluminum, or a significantly stronger type in the new phones to make any kind of substantial difference. The key to the added stiffness is almost entirely due to the thicker glass. I will grant that the redesign of the interior structure, eliminating the weak point that ran across by the volume buttons helped as well. But again, the type of aluminum made very little difference.
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
249 upvotes
ON
gwydionjhr wrote: #1: There was an issue with the iPhone 6 and the 6plus in particular, with bending.
A more accurate statement would be: there is an issue with all flagship smartphones bending. There was certainly a big deal made of the iPhone's purported tendency to bend, but it turned out just be last year's false flag operation in the great smartphone wars. Every subsequent test showed a very narrow range of bendability between the big name smartphones; a range much beyond what constitutes normal use. Here are the breakability ratings for some of the popular flagships (1=low risk/10=high risk):

4.0 = Samsung Galaxy S6
4.5 = iPhone 6
4.5 = iPhone 6S
4.5 = Samsung Galaxy S5
5.0 = iPhone 6S+
5.0 = Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
6.0 = iPhone 6+

If you really want to carry any flagship smartphone in your back pocket, you've simply got to buck up and get one of the rugged cases recommended in this thread. Otherwise, your best current bet is likely the Motorola Droid Turbo 2 that 95thRifles recommended.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20515 posts
9963 upvotes
Oakville
blurx wrote: Put on a screen protector (please, buy the dry application one for durability and appearance) and you are good to go.
Both my gf's 5s (switched to 6s) and my Sony Z3c dropped a thousand time over the past one and half year, and nothing ever happen to the screen.
A screen protector isn't going to do much to protect your screen from breaking if you drop it, really. Especially not one of the plastic ones. A tempered glass one might help a bit with direct impacts on the screen, by absorbing some of the energy, but that's about it.

That aside - there's no such thing as an "Android screen" - there's a million different Android phone makers, many of them using varied glass technology.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)