• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2012 7:18 am
[OP]
Aug 29, 2010
643 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto

IPhone on Virgin Android Plan

So last year I started a supertab plan on Virgin Mobile with an HTC Legend, because it had a deal for $40/month with all the things I'd need. Anyway, so now, since I hate my phone, and am about to run into some money, would it be possible to just buy a new phone, like an IPhone or Samsung Galaxy S2, and just swap the SIM card, or does anyone know if my phone is somehow locked to my plan in some way? This is my first phone btw, so I don't know much about this kind of stuff.

If anyone has actually done something like this, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 14, 2005
18176 posts
345 upvotes
Richmond
:arrow:

Moved from "Computers & Electronics" to "Computers & Electronics > Cell Phones."
Congrats to the Arsenal Ladies - The FA Women's Cup Winners 2013 :)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9051 posts
2348 upvotes
As long as the new phone is unlocked you should be able to just swap in the sim card and it'll go.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Aug 29, 2010
643 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote: As long as the new phone is unlocked you should be able to just swap in the sim card and it'll go.

What if it's locked to Virgin? Would that work as well?
Jan 22, 2012
166 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
If you buy an unlocked/BellVirgin iphone out wright then yes all you would have to do is swap sims.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1775 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
keep in mind the iPhone uses a microSIM so you'd have to get yours cut by a cell phone shop or you can just buy a new one at Virgin/best buy mobile/etc and call virgin to get your account transferred onto the new sim

that's if you decide to go with an iPhone
© 2015
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9051 posts
2348 upvotes
Lemonylol wrote: What if it's locked to Virgin? Would that work as well?

A Virgin-locked phone will definitely work on Virgin.
junot111 wrote: keep in mind the iPhone uses a microSIM so you'd have to get yours cut by a cell phone shop or you can just buy a new one at Virgin/best buy mobile/etc and call virgin to get your account transferred onto the new sim

that's if you decide to go with an iPhone
Or you can google up, download and print one of many free micro-SIM card templates and cut your old sim card down to a micro-sim for free. It's really not that hard, just requires some patience.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)