Shopping Discussion

iPhone X module recall question

  • Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2021 1:23 am
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 29, 2019
76 posts
46 upvotes

iPhone X module recall question

I bought an iPhone X in November 2017. It has had issues with the screen becoming unresponsive. I finally googled it and in January 2021 found an article that they recalled the iPhone X for display module issues in November 2018. They have a replacement program for it as long as it is within your 3 years of the date of purchase.

I found the receipt it was purchased November 11, 2017 so I just missed the cut off.

I talked to a senior advisor at apple and he thought it might be covered still but had to be sent in first and the repair department would decide once seeing it.

When he went to create the return shipping box to send it in it wanted him to charge the current price of an iPhone X (just over $800) in case it isn’t covered then Apple keeps that money and nothing gets fixed. He said it’s a risk I’d have to think about taking but since it’s just past the 3 year cut off he wouldn’t take that risk.

How can a company do a recall on a product and put a time limit on the repair?

If Honda does a recall on a part for the car they email everyone to let them know.

I should be able to get this fixed without having to pay Apple more money. I have already bought the phone at full price when it first came out.

Is there any laws regarding recalled products? I don’t understand how there is a time limit.
Thread Summary
iPhone X Display Module Replacement Program for Touch Issues
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/iphone- ... nt-program
24 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
12094 posts
15158 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadianChick39 wrote: How can a company do a recall on a product and put a time limit on the repair?
Of course there is a time limit. I bought an eMac in 2005. Like with many devices at that time it suffered from capacitor plague and they started to fail just after the 1-year warranty expired. Apple extended the warranty to 3 years. I got mine repaired 15 months after I bought it under the warranty extension. Do you really expect them to have continued the warranty indefinitely, and still repair them today 16 years later? They have to have a cutoff at some point.
If Honda does a recall on a part for the car they email everyone to let them know.
Transport Canada safety requirement. Your phone is not going to kill you or anyone else if it has a component failure, like your car might.
I should be able to get this fixed without having to pay Apple more money. I have already bought the phone at full price when it first came out.

Is there any laws regarding recalled products? I don’t understand how there is a time limit.
You missed the boat on the warranty extension program. Just chalk this one up as a lesson learned. Time for a new phone.
Last edited by Kiraly on May 14th, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7083 posts
7730 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: You missed the boat on the warranty extension program. Just chalk this one up as a lesson learned. Time for a new phone.
Fyi, there is no warranty extension with this screen replacement

"This Apple program doesn't extend the standard warranty coverage of the iPhone X."
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/iphone- ... nt-program
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17141 posts
19041 upvotes
Oakville
You bought into Apple ecosystem, just keep handing over money for new devices if you want to be happy.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Member
Nov 30, 2005
256 posts
65 upvotes
I just got into this last week, an horror.

I bring the iphone x at authorized repair shop, he told me he cannot repair it until i remove icloud, fair.

I told him i come back tomorrow with the password. I give him the password later but he told me he also need the email since it's now factory erased, so I give him the email, password, I see him enter that not on the cell but on the computer, after that he tell me that the accompt is locked for security reason, now to verify my account I need to receive an email to e...........com I just don't know what the hell is that.

He told me to go at apple store, and guess what, apple store will not help me because I don't have original invoice.

Now iphone is good for garbage because of them.

Never again Apple.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5304 posts
5301 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
mcbain wrote: I just got into this last week, an horror.

I bring the iphone x at authorized repair shop, he told me he cannot repair it until i remove icloud, fair.

I told him i come back tomorrow with the password. I give him the password later but he told me he also need the email since it's now factory erased, so I give him the email, password, I see him enter that not on the cell but on the computer, after that he tell me that the accompt is locked for security reason, now to verify my account I need to receive an email to e...........com I just don't know what the hell is that.

He told me to go at apple store, and guess what, apple store will not help me because I don't have original invoice.

Now iphone is good for garbage because of them.

Never again Apple.
For anyone wondering how people still get hacked in this day and age, people really are this stupid.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
17641 posts
4116 upvotes
Toronto
mcbain wrote: I told him i come back tomorrow with the password. I give him the password later but he told me he also need the email since it's now factory erased, so I give him the email, password, I see him enter that not on the cell but on the computer, after that he tell me that the accompt is locked for security reason, now to verify my account I need to receive an email to e...........com I just don't know what the hell is that.
You can log into iCloud.com on a computer to turn off Find My iPhone or remove the device from the iCloud account in order to perform a factory reset on the phone.
Member
Nov 30, 2005
256 posts
65 upvotes
audit13 wrote: You can log into iCloud.com on a computer to turn off Find My iPhone or remove the device from the iCloud account in order to perform a factory reset on the phone.
This is not working, account is locked for security reasons, I guess because it was erased and password was entered into a different computer? Now to unlock it a need to go into another email invisible and the screen, its only dots.
Member
Nov 30, 2005
256 posts
65 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: For anyone wondering how people still get hacked in this day and age, people really are this stupid.
Explain why I stupid to give apple employees my email and password when they ask for it?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4141 posts
2678 upvotes
Vancouver
mcbain wrote: Explain why I stupid to give apple employees my email and password when they ask for it?
Just because someone works at a repair shop or apple doesn’t make them trustworthy instantly. You do realize people do get fired and a lot of fraud have insiders right?
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10642 posts
5652 upvotes
Markham
mcbain wrote: Explain why I stupid to give apple employees my email and password when they ask for it?
You brought it to a 3rd party repair store or Apple store?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5304 posts
5301 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
mcbain wrote: Explain why I stupid to give apple employees my email and password when they ask for it?
Because no one at an "Apple Authorized Service Provider" (their term for it) is actually an Apple employee, for one.

Two, they should never be asking for your password information anyways, Apple employee or not.
Member
Nov 30, 2005
256 posts
65 upvotes
smartie wrote: You brought it to a 3rd party repair store or Apple store?
I bring at Apple store and at apple store certified repair center, Apple cannot even access it themselves anyway its locked and I need to show them the email/pass because the touch screen of the Iphone dont touch anymore.

I dont have credit card or anything important, the email was created for iphone free app only.

They use the MacBook to try to unlock the account and no, they don't let anyone touch their MacBook of course.

What people do went they bring their cars at repair center? They refuse to give their car key? They have your home adress and can copy your car key in 1 minutes...
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10642 posts
5652 upvotes
Markham
mcbain wrote: I bring at Apple store and at apple store certified repair center, Apple cannot even access it themselves anyway its locked and I need to show them the email/pass because the touch screen of the Iphone dont touch anymore.

I dont have credit card or anything important, the email was created for iphone free app only.

They use the MacBook to try to unlock the account and no, they don't let anyone touch their MacBook of course.

What people do went they bring their cars at repair center? They refuse to give their car key? They have your home adress and can copy your car key in 1 minutes...
I see

Because you said "He told me to go at apple store", so i am under impression that you first went to a third party and got locked out and then went to Apple store
Member
Nov 30, 2005
256 posts
65 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: Because no one at an "Apple Authorized Service Provider" (their term for it) is actually an Apple employee, for one.

Two, they should never be asking for your password information anyways, Apple employee or not.
I understand what you mean, but of course this is not my main email.

but yes they asked for it at Apple store, but even with it, they cannot even access it. I have nothing to lose here.
Member
Nov 30, 2005
256 posts
65 upvotes
smartie wrote: I see

Because you said "He told me to go at apple store", so i am under impression that you first went to a third party and got locked out and then went to Apple store
Correct, I did go at approved apple repair center first because real Apple store is 1:30 hr from home and then to the real apple store second, this was a mistake I guess, or maybe will be the same at the end, who knows.

but I should just used any others mom and dad repair shop, they will just change the screen and done. The account will not be locked this way...

Anyway all this is to inform everyone that even with the email and password, you can loose access to you account and get icloud locked out of your iPhone and Apple will not help you if you don't have the original invoice with IMEI, date, price clearly visible.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 29, 2018
1399 posts
967 upvotes
Vancouver
mcbain wrote: I just got into this last week, an horror.

I bring the iphone x at authorized repair shop, he told me he cannot repair it until i remove icloud, fair.

I told him i come back tomorrow with the password. I give him the password later but he told me he also need the email since it's now factory erased, so I give him the email, password, I see him enter that not on the cell but on the computer, after that he tell me that the accompt is locked for security reason, now to verify my account I need to receive an email to e...........com I just don't know what the hell is that.

He told me to go at apple store, and guess what, apple store will not help me because I don't have original invoice.

Now iphone is good for garbage because of them.

Never again Apple.
Yeah no. Apple has never needed an invoice. They work off the activation date of the device

Also, why would you give your password to the Apple person. You can remove activation lock from iCloud.com and erase the phone from there. Also if your account is locked, all they need is the saved payment info on your account.
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 29, 2018
1399 posts
967 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadianChick39 wrote: I bought an iPhone X in November 2017. It has had issues with the screen becoming unresponsive. I finally googled it and in January 2021 found an article that they recalled the iPhone X for display module issues in November 2018. They have a replacement program for it as long as it is within your 3 years of the date of purchase.

I found the receipt it was purchased November 11, 2017 so I just missed the cut off.

I talked to a senior advisor at apple and he thought it might be covered still but had to be sent in first and the repair department would decide once seeing it.

When he went to create the return shipping box to send it in it wanted him to charge the current price of an iPhone X (just over $800) in case it isn’t covered then Apple keeps that money and nothing gets fixed. He said it’s a risk I’d have to think about taking but since it’s just past the 3 year cut off he wouldn’t take that risk.

How can a company do a recall on a product and put a time limit on the repair?

If Honda does a recall on a part for the car they email everyone to let them know.

I should be able to get this fixed without having to pay Apple more money. I have already bought the phone at full price when it first came out.

Is there any laws regarding recalled products? I don’t understand how there is a time limit.
I would suggest checking in at a store. Apple will often waive such time-limits for customers who are well behaved
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 29, 2019
76 posts
46 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: I would suggest checking in at a store. Apple will often waive such time-limits for customers who are well behaved
Stores are currently closed right now due to the lockdown.

I did ask if it would be different if I took it into a store would I still have to pay money upfront to have it sent away to see if they will cover the replacement under the program and I was told yes. I think a senior advisor should be able to authorize an exception to this matter since I contacted them in January 2020 only 2 months past the cut off.

I already have a new phone bought the 12 pro the month it was released (October 2020 think).

However I was looking at the battery health last night and it is already at 99%.

I know someone who has the 12 Pro Max and their battery health is at 98% bought in November.

Crazy the battery health is going down already.

Top