Cell Phones

iPhone XS plus owner here. How do I use two sims for travel?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2020 6:50 pm
[OP]
Sep 11, 2015
199 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto

iPhone XS plus owner here. How do I use two sims for travel?

I am a Canadian, my phone plan has no international USA package I can purchase, I will have to pay international roaming charges if I want to use my phone.

I want to purchase a prepaid USA SIM card for a week of travel I am about to do in March.

Can I keep my current Canadian Sim in my phone and use my phone number in the USA with a second SIM card that has USA coverage installed? Is there an option in settings where I can select for example: use SIM card X for the phone number, no roaming. Use SIM card Y for all data+talk+text while in the USA.

Thank you.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4246 posts
2538 upvotes
Gotham
I believe your phone only has one physical SIM slot unless you have the Chinese variant that has two SIM slots. With the Chinese version, go to a mobile store in the US, buy a SIM and plan and pop it in your phone.

If you don't have the Chinese version, you can try TMobile prepaid eSIM or Knowroaming,

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans- ... e-esim-app
https://esim.knowroaming.co/product-cat ... h-america/

This would be SIM card Y.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8073 posts
4462 upvotes
Alberta
I use a T-Mobile sim with a San Diego number. Just make sure that your cellphone is unlocked.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13625 posts
5165 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OP, you have a XS so your phone supports eSIMs. Load up a data eSIM and you can keep your current sim in your phone and roam with the eSIM when you're in the States.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14286 posts
5491 upvotes
Ottawa
eSIMs are so great. No more fiddling with the sim slot.

We were in the US and needed a bit of data for a week or so. Bought 3GB for $11 US which covered our needs. We went with Airalo this time
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.