Is this IPS backlight glow acceptable or should I swap? [BenQ monitor deal]

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 1:32 am
[OP]
Apr 13, 2017
450 posts
233 upvotes

Is this IPS backlight glow acceptable or should I swap? [BenQ monitor deal]

I bought this monitor from that deal we just had (benq 2780q) and while it's been nice and colorful, the glow has been mildly annoying me. I haven't been in the monitor buying market for many years so I don't know if this is just what's acceptable now from IPS displays.

https://imgur.com/a/TKsW0Vm

Would I likely just get the same if I exchanged it?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
KamS046 wrote: I bought this monitor from that deal we just had (benq 2780q) and while it's been nice and colorful, the glow has been mildly annoying me. I haven't been in the monitor buying market for many years so I don't know if this is just what's acceptable now from IPS displays.

https://imgur.com/a/TKsW0Vm

Would I likely just get the same if I exchanged it?
It's pretty bad especially on bottom right. Im not sure which deal you're referring to, but most large chain retailers would allow exchanges. If they so no then now they have to try and sell an open package with these defects.
Jul 22, 2007
329 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Yea definitely return. Even just having the bottom left glow is too much.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2169 posts
1055 upvotes
Saint John
IPS glow and BLB are two separate things entirely. And both look tend to much worse in photos than they do in actual usage unless you really know what you're doing with your camera. OP, if you back up from the screen, does the "glow" fade? If so, that's IPS glow and could be normal. If it doesn't fade it's backlight bleed caused by poor QC where the panel is attached to the backlight and the monitor assembly. It's hard to tell much from those pictures.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2017
450 posts
233 upvotes
badOne wrote:
It's pretty bad especially on bottom right. Im not sure which deal you're referring to, but most large chain retailers would allow exchanges. If they so no then now they have to try and sell an open package with these defects.
I got it from Best Buy so I should be good to return it.
Tekkan wrote: Yea definitely return. Even just having the bottom left glow is too much.
Will do, thanks.
birthdaymonkey wrote: IPS glow and BLB are two separate things entirely. And both look tend to much worse in photos than they do in actual usage unless you really know what you're doing with your camera. OP, if you back up from the screen, does the "glow" fade? If so, that's IPS glow and could be normal. If it doesn't fade it's backlight bleed caused by poor QC where the panel is attached to the backlight and the monitor assembly. It's hard to tell much from those pictures.
It does fade a bit and changes gradually if I move side to side. So I guess that's not bleeding? My current Dell monitor from 2011 doesn't have much of a glow on on the corners. It's more uniform. If the new monitor was like that I'd be pretty happy. I'm going to end up returning it but whether I exchange for a different one was my main concern.

Do you guys have monitor brands that you recommend which have better QC? I heard LG makes all the screens so maybe they keep the goood stuff for themselves while offloading the meh screens to others?