• May 27th, 2021 6:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3226 posts
1985 upvotes
SW ON

IPTV apps for Android TV

Without discussing IPTV itself can anyone recommend a good IPTV app for Android TV that supports more than one playlist, XC and m3u8 based? I read praises for TiviMate but I have two issues with it: 1) expensive, $24 or cheaper subscription (I prefer one time payment); 2) one needs an account, and functionality depends on the developer servers. Why is that needed? Some reviews mentioned that servers were down for 24hr, some couldn't pay for the app for some reason. The developer is in Belarus. Who knows, maybe one day the servers will go down and never come up. But the main point: the app just needs a playlist URL. Why does it have to depend on the developer with an account on their servers?

Are there any other good apps?
16 replies
Oct 31, 2007
3494 posts
547 upvotes
Tivimate is all you need, price is worth it as there is constant updates/improvements, can get lifetime sub if you prefer one time payment. Everything you said about servers going down etc… is incorrect, that would be the provider not the app.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3226 posts
1985 upvotes
SW ON
nufan wrote: Tivimate is all you need, price is worth it as there is constant updates/improvements, can get lifetime sub if you prefer one time payment. Everything you said about servers going down etc… is incorrect, that would be the provider not the app.
I didn't say this, people in reviews said this. "When it works its 10 star BUT trying to add a TV to my subscription and their server has been down the last 24 hours and keeps telling you to try later". I am not sure what it means but I guess it's a way to track on how many devices it is installed. If the developer goes down with their servers it will stop working at once. Correct?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4030 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
I fail to see how any of these paid apps are better than StbEmu, which is free to download. It has sporadic adds at the top 1 inch of your tv screen that come and go. I don't even notice them anymore. You could get the "pro" version which gets rid of the ads, for like 5 bucks or something silly like that.

I've had multiple IPTV services with this app and all have worked flawlessly for live content, HD, on-demand and catch-up
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3226 posts
1985 upvotes
SW ON
Repooc wrote: I fail to see how any of these paid apps are better than StbEmu, which is free to download. It has sporadic adds at the top 1 inch of your tv screen that come and go. I don't even notice them anymore. You could get the "pro" version which gets rid of the ads, for like 5 bucks or something silly like that.

I've had multiple IPTV services with this app and all have worked flawlessly for live content, HD, on-demand and catch-up
I went to install it but the description says: "The app doesn't support m3u (or any others) playlists." This is not what I was looking for.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4030 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: I went to install it but the description says: "The app doesn't support m3u (or any others) playlists." This is not what I was looking for.
May I ask what you need or use m3u playlists for?

The channel guide is provided by your service provider.

Maybe I don't know what the m3u playlists does. I've yet to miss its function in the near 6 years I've been using iptv.

Even back in the dish/expressvu days prior to IPTV, I don't recall ever needing m3u playlists
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3226 posts
1985 upvotes
SW ON
Repooc wrote: May I ask what you need or use m3u playlists for?

The channel guide is provided by your service provider.

Maybe I don't know what the m3u playlists does. I've yet to miss its function in the near 6 years I've been using iptv.

Even back in the dish/expressvu days prior to IPTV, I don't recall ever needing m3u playlists
The IPTV term is broad. I described what I was looking for in the OP. I don't use any "service providers". There are playlists available online. Some stations stream their content for free. Not Canadian ones, though.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4737 posts
2180 upvotes
GTA
Repooc wrote: I fail to see how any of these paid apps are better than StbEmu, which is free to download. It has sporadic adds at the top 1 inch of your tv screen that come and go. I don't even notice them anymore. You could get the "pro" version which gets rid of the ads, for like 5 bucks or something silly like that.

Stbemu looks like you have a dumb tv, implayer looks like a smart tv Face With Tears Of Joy
Oct 31, 2007
3494 posts
547 upvotes

First off you mentioned ads, that’s enough of a reason to start with. 2nd of all use ability, tivimate emulates a typical guide far better than any free apps I’ve used, makes it far easier for rest of family. There is countless other features but it’s all personal preference, whatever works for you. M3u is the way to go also.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4030 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
nufan wrote: First off you mentioned ads, that’s enough of a reason to start with. 2nd of all use ability, tivimate emulates a typical guide far better than any free apps I’ve used, makes it far easier for rest of family. There is countless other features but it’s all personal preference, whatever works for you. M3u is the way to go also.
Maybe it's just me... I could care less about how the GUI/channel guide looks aesthetically... It's not like I'm turning on my TV to watch the guide; I'm watching TV to watch the actual program/content. The amount of time if have the guide up relative to the amount of time I'm actually watching the show/movie etc is not even a fleeting thought in my mind.

I have my kids, youngest being 6 and my parents on their late 60s, and other family in their 80s using StbEmu without issue.

But like you said, whatever works for you. There's no right or wrong solution here. All of this is still way better than back in the dish/expressvu days when you had to scour the net for a "fix" and download channel lists....Ugh, that was a headache and a half
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1778 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
IPTV Smarters is free and accepts XC and .m3u
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15349 posts
3839 upvotes
STBemu is the best
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3226 posts
1985 upvotes
SW ON
DarkReaper wrote: IPTV Smarters is free and accepts XC and .m3u
Does it accept more than one playlist?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7019 posts
3250 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
There are some mac only services where IPTV Smarters does not work... unless things have changed recently??
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1778 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: Does it accept more than one playlist?
It accepts multiple playlists but it doesn't merge the channels if that's what you mean. You have to switch between playlists
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3226 posts
1985 upvotes
SW ON
DarkReaper wrote: It accepts multiple playlists but it doesn't merge the channels if that's what you mean. You have to switch between playlists
That's actually good. I had an impression it accepted only one playlist. I will try it. Thanks.