Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17858 posts
20010 upvotes

IPTV Experts: Pay Mom-and-Pop, Pay Online Service, or DIY

Hi Gents,

I'm looking for advice from our resident RFD IPTV experts. I have a mom and pop computer shop willing to set me an Nvidia Shield with all legal-to-stream channels and push updates to prevent the streams from dying.

My question, is it worth paying these folks $15 / month instead, paying an online service instead, or DIY. What are my options?

/r/IPTV
/r/IPTVReviews

The above two subs are a thing, but it's a boatload of information to parse.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions, as I have others PM'ing me about this question.

God bless.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
isn't mom and pop shop just installing an app/add-on on your shield and "subscribe" to an IPTV service somewhere? Unless these mom and pop shops "create" their own IPTV services that no one knows about.
so
1. if they indeed create their own IPTV service, how reliable is it?
2. if they don't, they have no control over the IPTV service. If it's down, it's down. They probably would just sign you up with another one.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17858 posts
20010 upvotes
Most mom and pop shop lie about populating IPTV streams and updating them when they go down, what they're mainly doing is subscribing to a third party service, marking up that service, and selling it as their own.

This is why I'm asking which online services are the best, cut out the middle man.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17858 posts
20010 upvotes
I'm leaning towards this box:
MAG 324 W2 IPTV Box (found on Amazon.ca)

There are IPTV services that will stream to this box without issue.

The truth be told however is that however many channels you get, you'll only get 1080p to this most recent iteration of the IPTV box. The MAG 4XX version won't be out with a little while, at which point it'll support 4K.

Do I care about 4K? Questionable in light of my internet restrictions from my offsite location vs onsite.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1345 posts
434 upvotes
mom and pop shops are white labelling existing services. do not be fooled by this.
Dec 25, 2013
418 posts
318 upvotes
Brampton
redflagdealsguy wrote: I'm leaning towards this box:
MAG 324 W2 IPTV Box (found on Amazon.ca)

There are IPTV services that will stream to this box without issue.

The truth be told however is that however many channels you get, you'll only get 1080p to this most recent iteration of the IPTV box. The MAG 4XX version won't be out with a little while, at which point it'll support 4K.

Do I care about 4K? Questionable in light of my internet restrictions from my offsite location vs onsite.
There is no IPTV service that is actually "4k". Most providers say that just to get customers and you shouldn't fall for it. My 2 recommendations for the boxs are either the 322w1 or the 324w2. I recommend the latter, you are on the right track.
Oct 12, 2005
364 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
Aren't mag boxes pricey ? If you dont already have an android tv/box, get a firestick 4k for $54.99 . works great for most iptv.
609 upvotes
Québec
redflagdealsguy wrote: Hi Gents,

I'm looking for advice from our resident RFD IPTV experts. I have a mom and pop computer shop willing to set me an Nvidia Shield with all legal-to-stream channels and push updates to prevent the streams from dying.

My question, is it worth paying these folks $15 / month instead, paying an online service instead, or DIY. What are my options?

/r/IPTV
/r/IPTVReviews

The above two subs are a thing, but it's a boatload of information to parse.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions, as I have others PM'ing me about this question.

God bless.
Do you really believe is ' all legal-to-stream', common this is piracy don't deny it.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1345 posts
434 upvotes
honestly. most homes have a smart tv in them now.
if you have an LG or Samsung or one of the newer sony TV's.
check if smart stb, smart iptv, ss iptv or iptv smarters is in your app store and just use that and your same tv remote.
there really is no reason to spend more then 60 bucks to watch iptv now on an stb with the recent advancement in viewing options.
you can pretty much enjoy IPTV on any device now.