Expired Hot Deals

IronSocket (VPN, Smart DNS Proxy, HTTP/SOCKS5 Proxy) $29.97 USD for 1 year (40% Off)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2015 9:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 19, 2003
19242 posts
6237 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Did any of you guys use a vanilla card to sign up, it's giving me a big headache... they have to go through paypal (ugh), and paypal for canada keeps telling me that I can't use the card for the transaction (and yes I did assign a postal code on the vanilla site). It seems ironsocket does not want my money.

I gave up and ironsocket/paypal, I ended up going with vpn.ac payment went through fine... I'm satisfied with their attitude/policies, they seemed geared more towards IT guys (like me) with less emphasis on the lame windows clients etc. The most surprising thing was the speed I got testing one of the netherlands servers for bittorrent (openvpn manual setup).

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/oqltue.jpg[/IMG]

Excellent... and yes I have of course verified that the tunnel is active and the IP address is where I expect it to geolocate to.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1519 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
Does anyone know how often Bell would change my IP? It changed yesterday but I think it was because I was playing and resetting my router often. I tried to setup DNS through the router but my whole network slowed down considerably. Anyway when I reset it a few times I couldn't log into netflix and just now I realized what had happened, my IP has changed.

They don't change it on a daily or weekly basis do they?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1767 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
BinaryJay wrote: Did any of you guys use a vanilla card to sign up, it's giving me a big headache... they have to go through paypal (ugh), and paypal for canada keeps telling me that I can't use the card for the transaction (and yes I did assign a postal code on the vanilla site). .
I have been a customer with them for almost 2 years now. Renewal coming up in May. I use paypal.
why did you choose vanilla. Could you have used CDN walmart or starbucks and save on those vanilla fees?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 24, 2012
11536 posts
2525 upvotes
Montreal
samson wrote: I have been a customer with them for almost 2 years now. Renewal coming up in May. I use paypal.
why did you choose vanilla. Could you have used CDN walmart or starbucks and save on those vanilla fees?
Or use a real normal credit card..../ unless you wish to do CRIMINAL activities.
Member
User avatar
Jun 29, 2009
360 posts
82 upvotes
Surrey
I have uTorrent set up using SOCKS5 proxy. Speed is not affected through this method. If I use OPENVPN it's super slow, even to surf the web. Is this normal? I have tried the servers closest to me for just regular surfing and it's like watching paint dry (light encryption). I am on a 100mb connection.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3390 posts
3220 upvotes
Montreal
DdBigs wrote: Does anyone know how often Bell would change my IP? It changed yesterday but I think it was because I was playing and resetting my router often. I tried to setup DNS through the router but my whole network slowed down considerably. Anyway when I reset it a few times I couldn't log into netflix and just now I realized what had happened, my IP has changed.

They don't change it on a daily or weekly basis do they?
Bell IP will change every time your Bell modem disconnect/connect and re-authenticate (ie. reboot your router).

You need Dynamic DNS and update your IronSocket IP authorization using hostname instead of IP

https://ironsocket.com/setup/help/dynamic-dns
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 24, 2012
11536 posts
2525 upvotes
Montreal
mattuzzi82 wrote: I have uTorrent set up using SOCKS5 proxy. Speed is not affected through this method. If I use OPENVPN it's super slow, even to surf the web. Is this normal? I have tried the servers closest to me for just regular surfing and it's like watching paint dry (light encryption). I am on a 100mb connection.

Pick a different VPN server? Maybe the VPN client is badly configured.

Btw how did you get incoming connections to work with socks5?

Can you post a picture of your utorrent configuration?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1519 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
alkizmo wrote: Pick a different VPN server? Maybe the VPN client is badly configured.

Btw how did you get incoming connections to work with socks5?

Can you post a picture of your utorrent configuration?
you having trouble also? I have gotten it to work a few times but both times I had to start the connection either through VPN or turn off the proxy. Then when I turned socks5 back on it was working again. For the longest time I couldn't get a connection but when it works it has great speed. I did close and reopen bittorrent and have checked my ip with ipleak. seems to be working fine after I kick start the connection but why won't it start itself.

I'm using the same configurations as the youtube video posted yesterday.
Member
User avatar
Jun 29, 2009
360 posts
82 upvotes
Surrey
alkizmo wrote: Pick a different VPN server? Maybe the VPN client is badly configured.

Btw how did you get incoming connections to work with socks5?

Can you post a picture of your utorrent configuration?
I had it in the green for incoming connections but now it's the same as yours. I am very confused. I have the proper port in my router forwarded and opened in my firewall rules for incoming connections under uTorrent. My settings are the same as the YouTube video basically, just with the IronSocket Iceland proxy and no authentication (my IP is authorized in my account settings for IronSocket). I'm not running the VPN, just the SOCKS5. This is frustrating...
Jr. Member
Sep 8, 2007
113 posts
35 upvotes
Hamilton
I've got IronSocket setup and connected through OpenVPN. My speeds are pretty slow on torrents. Only getting around 100k /sec.

What's the deal with this socks5 stuff you guys are talking about? Is that an alternative to using the VPN altogether?
Member
User avatar
Jun 29, 2009
360 posts
82 upvotes
Surrey
thegoat54 wrote: I've got IronSocket setup and connected through OpenVPN. My speeds are pretty slow on torrents. Only getting around 100k /sec.

What's the deal with this socks5 stuff you guys are talking about? Is that an alternative to using the VPN altogether?
It mask your IP but does not encrypt the data sent. It is sufficient enough to protect you from copyright holder trackers and doesn't impact your speed. In fact, I was getting better speeds last night with the SOCKS5 proxy set up than I was without but now I am having a problem with incoming connections through uTorrent! :(
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
alkizmo wrote: Or use a real normal credit card..../ unless you wish to do CRIMINAL activities.
Everyone must have a credit card. You are born with one.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 6, 2007
1779 posts
372 upvotes
mattuzzi82 wrote: It mask your IP but does not encrypt the data sent. It is sufficient enough to protect you from copyright holder trackers and doesn't impact your speed. In fact, I was getting better speeds last night with the SOCKS5 proxy set up than I was without but now I am having a problem with incoming connections through uTorrent! :(
I would like some clarification about SOCKS5 as well. It is a part of the package with ironsocket?
Sr. Member
May 12, 2014
862 posts
483 upvotes
Markham, ON
mattuzzi82 wrote: I had it in the green for incoming connections but now it's the same as yours. I am very confused. I have the proper port in my router forwarded and opened in my firewall rules for incoming connections under uTorrent. My settings are the same as the YouTube video basically, just with the IronSocket Iceland proxy and no authentication (my IP is authorized in my account settings for IronSocket). I'm not running the VPN, just the SOCKS5. This is frustrating...
I had the exact same issue. So I changed to a HTTP proxy and everything is connecting fine now. I emailed Iron Socket regarding socks5 and they replied with "If you see timeouts when connecting to public trackers, that is normal as these pubic trackers, especially the major ones, are know to block VPN and Proxy IPs.
The solution is to use DHT and Peer Exchange instead."

Top