[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2243 posts
765 upvotes
Montreal

Irrigation system for landscaping project

Hi,

We are getting the front landscaping redone at our house.
I would like to add an irrigation system to water the grass and plantations.
Before the work starts I'd like to plan the system out so I can add the pipes with the contractor and be ready to finish up the installation.

I don't know much about such systems, so I'd like to get some recommendations on brands, products, ...

I was thinking for the grass I could install some sprinklers in the grass near the street and for the plantations just plan for outlets where I could connect drip irrigation hoses.

I have attached the layout of the front of the house. Thanks for your input and suggestions!
Images
  • Avec Extérieur v3 RFD.png
4 replies
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
224 upvotes
Would recommend Hunter MP Rotator Heads for the sprinkler. Check your water pressure, they have also bodies for low water pressure which might allow you one more station per watering.

The areas should overlap when watering for complete coverage. Definitely also add a station or two for the plantations - if your putting in irrigation might as well get it all under automation, eg a rain bird xeri multi drip system will allow you to configure up to eight drip lines.

As far systems, people seem to like Rachio but I never used it myself.

They require maintenance esp before winter as you need to drain as much water out of them as possible. Use good quality pipe, don’t skimp on quality as it’s no fun to repair these lines after winter. Ideally you have a slope which will allow you to drain water using gravity and MAKE sure the sprinkler heads are BELOW ground level unless you want to keep replacing the heads when they get torn off by the city snow trucks or lawn mowers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2243 posts
765 upvotes
Montreal
keddie2 wrote: Would recommend Hunter MP Rotator Heads for the sprinkler. Check your water pressure, they have also bodies for low water pressure which might allow you one more station per watering.

The areas should overlap when watering for complete coverage. Definitely also add a station or two for the plantations - if your putting in irrigation might as well get it all under automation, eg a rain bird xeri multi drip system will allow you to configure up to eight drip lines.

As far systems, people seem to like Rachio but I never used it myself.

They require maintenance esp before winter as you need to drain as much water out of them as possible. Use good quality pipe, don’t skimp on quality as it’s no fun to repair these lines after winter. Ideally you have a slope which will allow you to drain water using gravity and MAKE sure the sprinkler heads are BELOW ground level unless you want to keep replacing the heads when they get torn off by the city snow trucks or lawn mowers.
Thanks for your input.

I am already using an OpenSprinkler system to automate the watering of our garden so I plan on extending this and adding zones for the front of the house.

Those Hunter Rotator Heads seem like a good solution, I will look into this.

I'm wondering how many sprinkler heads I could run at the same time (will be connected to city water on 3/4" pipe).