ISO No Contract iPhone

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2020 12:54 pm
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
120 posts
85 upvotes

ISO No Contract iPhone

I just called Rogers which lead nowhere so I thought I'd take a shot here.

I have a great $50/mth mobile plan with 6gb data. It's perfect for my limited phone use and budget.

I also have a 16gb iPhone 6 however which is filled with baby photos and not much else, no apps, no games, no nothing.

So my question is - What's the most affordable way to get a newer iPhone, without having to upgrade my phone plan?

A new iPhone is scheduled to release next Tuesday. Will prices go down on older phones (iPhone 11? XR?) or have they already been discounted?

Any direction would be appreciated. Thank you!
7 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18917 posts
8538 upvotes
Oakville
I don't believe Apple drops prices on existing devices till after the new one drops.

Best Buy sells certified refurb and used iPhones, if that's something you're interested in... GetOrchard also sells used iPhones with a blacklist guarantee... I personally wouldn't recommend going used any other way (Kijiji, etc) because there's no guarantee that your phone won't end up blacklisted down the road, and I've heard too many horror stories of people buying a phone of Kijiji, it works fine for a couple weeks or months, and then boom, blacklisted.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
120 posts
85 upvotes
Thanks for the response. I didn't know BestBuy sold refurbished phones in Canada. I know they are available on US sites like Apple.com. Thanks for that.
Nov 30, 2016
881 posts
1090 upvotes
Mississauga
This isn't a response to your question, but there is no way your plan can be considered "great", especially here on RFD.
Just had to throw that out there
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
120 posts
85 upvotes
Thanks for the reply,

What are people paying for rogers mobile service?

I thought my grandfathered corporate plan from 10yrs ago was a steal compared to the $75/mth starting plans?
Nov 24, 2016
152 posts
134 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you live in Western Canada OP? I work for an authorised Koodo/Telus provider and we always have really good promos for plans and iPhone pricing.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18917 posts
8538 upvotes
Oakville
mighty_chef wrote: Thanks for the response. I didn't know BestBuy sold refurbished phones in Canada. I know they are available on US sites like Apple.com. Thanks for that.
Just be careful on the refurb phones... I haven't looked too closely, but I know Best Buy has added a third party seller element to their site, so I'm not sure how covered you'd be when you buy from somebody other than Best Buy, even if it's through the Best Buy site.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Mar 2, 2017
147 posts
127 upvotes
mighty_chef wrote: What are people paying for rogers mobile service?
25GB for $45 is the new gold standard. But you can only get that as a winback offer in limited circumstances.

In general though, the big 3 have each created a 3 tier branding system. For Rogers, it goes Rogers/Fido/Chatr. 6GB is more Fido territory than Rogers, so you're likely going to find more plans to suit your needs there.

If you can hold off until Black Friday, there'll likely be some more deals then. Places like Walmart and the Mobile Shop have offered good sign up bonus the last few years. You can read through this thread to get an idea of what might be available. Deals seemed to be better on Black Friday than Boxing Day last year.

Another option would be Zoomer, a recent RFD favourite. Runs on the Rogers network. 5GB for $36, plus a sign up bonus, plus a referral bonus, plus a fee low end phone you could sell. Combine that with an iPhone you bring yourself and you can make yourself a reasonable package.