• Aug 10th, 2021 12:20 am
[OP]
Oct 12, 2007
934 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver

ISP deals in Vancouver (optic fibre?)

Hey,

If you've been following my other thread (ethernet-wiring-services-vancouver-just ... #p34822888), I have a problem getting internet to a certain room, so a solution I was thinking was to just get another ISP with faster, dedicated speed.

Currently, whatever my home has is Shaw, so it can't be Shaw.

What's a good ISP out there in the Vancouver region? Maybe pretty fast. I might want really good speeds.
8 replies
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I think you're pretty much limited to Telus PureFibre if you want optic fiber internet to a house.
Their rates aren't bad and cheaper than Shaw, last time I checked.
$100 on a 2 year contract gets you 1000/1000 download/upload speeds with Telus vs 300/15 with shaw.
Sometimes they got that free TV or whatever deal too.
Your house has to have their cable already installed, though.

There's a long thread on the ongoing deals forum that might have other deals, but most are retention deals for existing customers.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2007
934 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
zerod wrote: I think you're pretty much limited to Telus PureFibre if you want optic fiber internet to a house.
Their rates aren't bad and cheaper than Shaw, last time I checked.
$100 on a 2 year contract gets you 1000/1000 download/upload speeds with Telus vs 300/15 with shaw.
Sometimes they got that free TV or whatever deal too.
Your house has to have their cable already installed, though.

There's a long thread on the ongoing deals forum that might have other deals, but most are retention deals for existing customers.
No deal on Primus or Novus or something outside of the big 2? I'll take a look around.

Edit: oh nm Novus is just for some apartment complexes.
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I don't think the other companies have access to their fiber lines yet, like they do DSL/cable, so they can't resell.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29039 posts
14586 upvotes
I'm paying $30/month to UrbanFiber for 1000/1000.

But you're probably not eligible unless you're my neighbor.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2007
934 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: I'm paying $30/month to UrbanFiber for 1000/1000.

But you're probably not eligible unless you're my neighbor.
Well it seems like yours and Novus are only doing apartment buildings and townhouse complexes, not detached homes.

One of UrbanFiber's locations is near me, but not near enough.

Do these companies service detached homes?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29039 posts
14586 upvotes
Whoaness wrote:
Do these companies service detached homes?
Not that I'm aware of.

Although you may be able to register yourself as a business and then ask them to run a line. You're paying business rates though.
Not really a deal any more if you're paying a few hundred for symmetric 100 plus however much it costs to dig a trench from your house to wherever there's fiber.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2007
934 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
Well, what if I don't need fiber? What isp would be good value then?