• Mar 22nd, 2011 8:57 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1962 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton

Issue with FUTURE SHOP Product Service Plans

So after 2 yrs of heavy use my MacBook Pro finally gave on me. 3 weeks ago there was a power surge and My mac suffered. i could no longer get sound @ headphone jack ( just buzzing ), LED backlight would just turn off, WI-FI would drop and machine was almost non-responsive. How lucky I got Future Shop PSP (Product Service Plans ). Well after almost 3 weeks with Future Shop they finally fixed it and they told me it should be ok now. They replaced hard drive and fixed motherboard ( Iwas told originally that they would replace motherboard, but was i wrong. I did not know they can fix them ). So when I went to pick up my Mac, tech told me that if there is still an issue with mac to bring it back. if I bring it back withing 30 days it would count as re-occurance and after 30 days it would be counted as another repair. Well, i got my Mac back on Wednesday, and 1st thing that I noticed is that i could not see my wireless adapter, sound at headphone jack was full of static and it would not play music CD's. Re-installing Operating system took care of WI-FI. I let mac running since Wednesday.
Yesterday, as I was trying to restore Mac back to normal and wait 31 days to bring it back to FS regarding sound and CD, my video bacame scrambeled and mac started to restart by itself. Now, when i start my mac I get grey screen and I can clearly hear clicking sound.

I wonder if any one of you had similar issue with Future Shop PSP and should this cound as re-occurance. there is nothing in PSP stating that?

Now I have no choice but to bring my mac back to them...
40 replies
Jan 26, 2011
513 posts
258 upvotes
Gatineau
If there was a power surge and it damaged the computer, it's very likely that the logic board is damaged and I think they should replace it.

If it's not working as it should, take it back. Although, sometimes warranties exclude damages done because of a power surge, that's why you should always use a surge protector (I know it's not always easy with a laptop though).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1962 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
BingoRingo wrote: If there was a power surge and it damaged the computer, it's very likely that the logic board is damaged and I think they should replace it.

If it's not working as it should, take it back. Although, sometimes warranties exclude damages done because of a power surge, that's why you should always use a surge protector (I know it's not always easy with a laptop though).

PSP states that they cover power surges
Sep 16, 2008
80 posts
2 upvotes
ancnfamily wrote: So after 2 yrs of heavy use my MacBook Pro finally gave on me. 3 weeks ago there was a power surge and My mac suffered. i could no longer get sound @ headphone jack ( just buzzing ), LED backlight would just turn off, WI-FI would drop and machine was almost non-responsive. How lucky I got Future Shop PSP (Product Service Plans ). Well after almost 3 weeks with Future Shop they finally fixed it and they told me it should be ok now. They replaced hard drive and fixed motherboard ( Iwas told originally that they would replace motherboard, but was i wrong. I did not know they can fix them ). So when I went to pick up my Mac, tech told me that if there is still an issue with mac to bring it back. if I bring it back withing 30 days it would count as re-occurance and after 30 days it would be counted as another repair. Well, i got my Mac back on Wednesday, and 1st thing that I noticed is that i could not see my wireless adapter, sound at headphone jack was full of static and it would not play music CD's. Re-installing Operating system took care of WI-FI. I let mac running since Wednesday.
Yesterday, as I was trying to restore Mac back to normal and wait 31 days to bring it back to FS regarding sound and CD, my video bacame scrambeled and mac started to restart by itself. Now, when i start my mac I get grey screen and I can clearly hear clicking sound.

I wonder if any one of you had similar issue with Future Shop PSP and should this cound as re-occurance. there is nothing in PSP stating that?

Now I have no choice but to bring my mac back to them...

Sounds very similar to what happened to me and my Toshiba laptop. I'd bring it in to FS for repairs, they'd fix it, I'd get it back in 2 weeks, and 3 weeks later the problem would reoccur. When you bring it back with the same problem within 30 days it's considered the same repair ticket and it counts as the same 'major repair' (of which you need 4 to get a new computer). I got so frustrated with them because it took them more than one try to fix the same problem. What I ended up doing was waiting for 30 days before I brought it back in for the same problem that they didn't fix the first time. I also had 2 unrelated problems with my laptop, brought it in to fix one, and got the laptop back in 1.5 weeks... 1 major repair. Then a week later I brought it back to fix the other problem... new problem, new ticket, another major repair. They obviously didn't do a very good job of screening the computer for problems. That put me onto my 4th major repair, and I got a new laptop because of it.
My advice to you is not to 'bundle' your repairs if you have a lemon. If you bring the laptop in with 2 unrelated problems and get them fixed at once, you only get '1 strike' out of your 4. Makes no sense to me. In terms of the computer being a lemon, they should count the number of issues, not the number of repair tickets...
Anyway, good luck. I hope you get your 4 strikes and a new Mac!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1962 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
So I went over to FS tonight and tech thinks that I should be getting a new machine. He thinks that there is no point of changing parts as whole Mac was shocked by a power spike. He suggested that I return when his manager is in.

So, I will give it a try either tomorrow or next week Wednesday.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1962 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
ithumbus wrote: Sounds very similar to what happened to me and my Toshiba laptop. I'd bring it in to FS for repairs, they'd fix it, I'd get it back in 2 weeks, and 3 weeks later the problem would reoccur. When you bring it back with the same problem within 30 days it's considered the same repair ticket and it counts as the same 'major repair' (of which you need 4 to get a new computer). I got so frustrated with them because it took them more than one try to fix the same problem. What I ended up doing was waiting for 30 days before I brought it back in for the same problem that they didn't fix the first time. I also had 2 unrelated problems with my laptop, brought it in to fix one, and got the laptop back in 1.5 weeks... 1 major repair. Then a week later I brought it back to fix the other problem... new problem, new ticket, another major repair. They obviously didn't do a very good job of screening the computer for problems. That put me onto my 4th major repair, and I got a new laptop because of it.
My advice to you is not to 'bundle' your repairs if you have a lemon. If you bring the laptop in with 2 unrelated problems and get them fixed at once, you only get '1 strike' out of your 4. Makes no sense to me. In terms of the computer being a lemon, they should count the number of issues, not the number of repair tickets...
Anyway, good luck. I hope you get your 4 strikes and a new Mac!
I'll exactly to that if manager thinks I should not get a new one.
Aug 21, 2009
992 posts
178 upvotes
ancnfamily wrote: So I went over to FS tonight and tech thinks that I should be getting a new machine. He thinks that there is no point of changing parts as whole Mac was shocked by a power spike. He suggested that I return when his manager is in.

So, I will give it a try either tomorrow or next week Wednesday.
Hopefully they replace it for you. This happened to my friends macbook as well, there no power surge for him but the mac's screen would get fuzzy and it'd turn off. Colors would be wierd. All in all they Apple replaced the mac for him.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1962 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
So here is a final update. They determined that Mac was gone and they gave me new MacBook Pro. I had to wait a while because they run out of the old stock. I again bought extended warranty from them . 4th plan was $399 but they gave it to me for $325.
Preformance wise, I found new MacBook running a bit hot and got couple of freezes. Build quality does not even come close to my old book. New one feels like it won't last as long.
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
Sort of off the topic, but it has to do with Best Buy(same crap same pile) and their so-called "extended warranty".

On Boxing Day I picked up an XBox 360 and a friend did as well. We both bought the PSP for it, two years. His craps out so he calls the store and they tell him "Tough luck, you're on the hook for sending it to M$ for the first year because that's the product's warranty". Both warranties expire at the end of 2012. So basically, they're selling off one year warranties under the guise of two years instead. :evil: When he called them on this, the idiot rep just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

When did they change this? I've bought stuff and got the warranty and ended up using it if it crapped out. If it happened within the first year, they'd give me a refund or store credit on the item as well as the warranty as well.
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
ancnfamily wrote: So here is a final update. They determined that Mac was gone and they gave me new MacBook Pro. I had to wait a while because they run out of the old stock. I again bought extended warranty from them . 4th plan was $399 but they gave it to me for $325.
Preformance wise, I found new MacBook running a bit hot and got couple of freezes. Build quality does not even come close to my old book. New one feels like it won't last as long.

Did they give you a new one or is it the old one that was just replaced?
(new Macbook pro 13" with i5 or 15" with i7 should be much better than your 2 year old one with a core2 duo)
or old stock which would be the 13" with i3 or 15" i5 which should still be a good upgrade.

Either way its a fairly big upgrade in both ram, graphics and CPU from what you had. Hopefully this new one serves you well. Considering you run your laptops hard and your last one died after 2 years I might have only went with the 2 or 3year warranty (i think the 3 year is 299$) but with 4 year i guess you're coverd if this one lasts alittle longer. I think this is a good example of how the FS warranty worked out well for a customer.

Im glad it worked out and they gave you a new macbook pro. Strange that the build quality feels worse though, but I havent looked at the macbooks in a few years so this could be true.
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote: Sort of off the topic, but it has to do with Best Buy(same crap same pile) and their so-called "extended warranty".

On Boxing Day I picked up an XBox 360 and a friend did as well. We both bought the PSP for it, two years. His craps out so he calls the store and they tell him "Tough luck, you're on the hook for sending it to M$ for the first year because that's the product's warranty". Both warranties expire at the end of 2012. So basically, they're selling off one year warranties under the guise of two years instead. :evil: When he called them on this, the idiot rep just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

When did they change this? I've bought stuff and got the warranty and ended up using it if it crapped out. If it happened within the first year, they'd give me a refund or store on the item as well as the warranty as well.
The rep obviously didnt know how to explain this properly.

the reason FS asks you to send it to microsoft during the first year is because microsofts repair program is much faster than FS's. (FS sends it to microsoft also, but direct sends to M$ are a higher priority than resellers) So you will get your issue resolved much faster by sending it to microsoft during the first year.

But!All the same FS coverage applies as listed below: (Even though M$ Doesnt cover these issues in their manufacturers warranty)
Free Shipping: so you should not have to pay to ship the xbox to M$ within the first year.
Replacement Guarentee: If M$ should keep your xbox for more than 60 days for whatever reason you tell FS this and FS will step in an replace the xbox with a new one as per their 60day guarentee. This applys even though you send the product to M$ during the first year. So the coverage covers you from M$ holding the product for long periods of time should this ever happen.
No lemon guarentee:If in the first year your xobx breaks 4 times (and you would have to send it to M$ 4 times) FS will step in and replace the xbox with a new one as per their no lemon guarentee. The error with the xbox does NOT have to be the same error 4 times. It can be any 4 hardware problems.
Surge Protection: Many manufacturers don't cover surge protection. So if your xbox is hit with a power surge in the 1st year and you send it to M$ , M$ will send it back saying Surge error and not fix it. in this case FS will step in and eithe rfix (but probably replace) the xbox.
Accessories: FS covers the controllers and stuff from day 1. not sure if M$ does.

So if FS was like many extended warranty companies and only covered you starting the first day AFTER the manufacturers warrany you would technically have to wait 1 year for any of the above features to be coverd, which wouldnt make any sense. So yes its a tad bit of a pain to send it to M$ during the first year, but they really do have a faster program becuase they take direct returns to them first over returns from 2nd party sellers( like FS). So your xbox should get priority. but if the problem isnt covered by M$ but is covered by any of the problems I listed above FS will step in a replace the xbox even though you sent it directly to M$.

I really hope that made more sense. it does upset me that the sales associate treated you with such disrespect and didnt even bother to fully explain the product to you. But at xmas time many of the reps are seasonal and get minimal training.
If you have any other questions about this please just let me know and I can try to answer them. I still think the FS coverage is a good idea on xboxs becuase they have a high failure rate. I've had my controllers replaced twice so far. But there is far too much confusion about having to send it to M$ in the first year :(

EDIT: You mentioned that you usually dont have to send it away during the first year for other products. FS will only ask you to use the manufacturer return process in the first year for companies who have a very fast returns process. THere are only a couple manufacturers where FS does this.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2085 posts
1501 upvotes
ancnfamily wrote: So here is a final update. They determined that Mac was gone and they gave me new MacBook Pro. I had to wait a while because they run out of the old stock. I again bought extended warranty from them . 4th plan was $399 but they gave it to me for $325.

How could the build quality feel different? Aren't they the exact same notebook, simply with updated internals?

@MysticDragon - please. Calling Microsoft "M$" is sooo 2007.
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
Awjvail wrote:
@MysticDragon - please. Calling Microsoft "M$" is sooo 2007.
Thats rather rude but I'll explain.
I wrote M$ as thats how the poster i was quoting (LondonOntGuy) wrote it. And as i was trying to type a rather lengthy post in as quick time as possible it was much easier to write M$ than type out microsoft.
This is similar to how many RFDs use shortforms like RFD for red flag deals, or FS for futureshop, BB for bestbuy, OB for open box, PM for price match I could go on and on but I think I made my point.

I personally have no problem with Microsoft as most of my PCs are windows based. Maybe I should use MS from now on instead?

Sorry that something that was apparently from 2007 offends you now in 2011. I'll be sure to try and not use short forms in my replies from now so to please you.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2085 posts
1501 upvotes
Mysticdragon wrote: Thats rather rude but I'll explain.
I wrote M$ as thats how the poster i was quoting (LondonOntGuy) wrote it. And as i was trying to type a rather lengthy post in as quick time as possible it was much easier to write M$ than type out microsoft.
This is similar to how many RFDs use shortforms like RFD for red flag deals, or FS for futureshop, BB for bestbuy, OB for open box, PM for price match I could go on and on but I think I made my point.

I personally have no problem with Microsoft as most of my PCs are windows based. Maybe I should use MS from now on instead?

Sorry that something that was apparently from 2007 offends you now in 2011. I'll be sure to try and not use short forms in my replies from now so to please you.

I didn't say it offended me ;)