Shopping Discussion

Issue with FUTURE SHOP Product Service Plans

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2011 8:57 am
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
Accessories: FS covers the controllers and stuff from day 1. not sure if M$ does.
I wasn't of that. My wireless controller keeps losing sync with the system, sometimes to the point where the game is unplayable because it happens so often. - Even more annoying if the game doesn't have an auto-pause if the controller is disconnected. Instead, I've just been using the wired controller I bought a few years ago for use on my PC since I use a lot of emulators, and it's perfect for PS1 and SNES games.

If were to use the warranty, I don't have to take in the entire system do I? Would bringing in the controller alone be good enough? I assume they'd just give me a new one still in the package to replace this faulty one.

Edit: I wonder if I'd void the Best Buy warranty if I were to get this thing hacked. Obviously I"d be SOL for the manufacturer's, but does the Future Shop/Best Buy warranty prohibit this sort of thing?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2085 posts
1501 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote: I wonder if I'd void the Best Buy warranty if I were to get this thing hacked. Obviously I"d be SOL for the manufacturer's, but does the Future Shop/Best Buy warranty prohibit this sort of thing?
I would imagine.. I can't even upgrade my RAM anymore because they put stickers over the port on the bottom of my laptop: "Warranty Void if Seal is Broken".
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
Awjvail wrote: I would imagine.. I can't even upgrade my RAM anymore because they put stickers over the port on the bottom of my laptop: "Warranty Void if Seal is Broken".

Wow, Future Shop has the nerve to put their own warranty stickers on the item, and has the nerve to say "if you upgrade the RAM yourself, you just pooched your extended warranty" ?

Note to self, never buy a laptop from Future Shop or Best Buy.
Nov 26, 2002
610 posts
63 upvotes
If you can I would return the FS Extended Warranty and then go and purchase AppleCare direct from Apple.

MacBook / MacBook Air / 13" MacBook Pro - AppleCare Protection Plan

Much better warranty and it will save you $50.
ancnfamily wrote: So here is a final update. They determined that Mac was gone and they gave me new MacBook Pro. I had to wait a while because they run out of the old stock. I again bought extended warranty from them . 4th plan was $399 but they gave it to me for $325.
Preformance wise, I found new MacBook running a bit hot and got couple of freezes. Build quality does not even come close to my old book. New one feels like it won't last as long.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2085 posts
1501 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote: Wow, Future Shop has the nerve to put their own warranty stickers on the item, and has the nerve to say "if you upgrade the RAM yourself, you just pooched your extended warranty" ?

Yeah... luckily the warranty expired last month.

Not that I had any desire to upgrade the RAM or HD, but if I wanted to I couldn't.

All those white dots.
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
hempopotamus wrote: If you can I would return the FS Extended Warranty and then go and purchase AppleCare direct from Apple.

MacBook / MacBook Air / 13" MacBook Pro - AppleCare Protection Plan

Much better warranty and it will save you $50.

Not really, becuase AppleCare is only a 3year warranty. OP got a 4 year warranty for 50$ more?

Also, AppleCare doesn't cover surge protection, it also doesnt cover accessories like the power cable
b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
(i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or
maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such
as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;
(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty
installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service
Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or
humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical
power
, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;

@ tmpz - except it sounds like FS did a good job this time with repairing the product. Usually this is the case with all Apple products.

@ LongonOntGuy - yes if the controller came in the box, just bring your receipt and the controller to FS to the returns desk. Say that its been having problems staying connected regardless of battery power and that you'd like to use your PSP to exchange for a new controller. They s hould give you a new one right there in the store. If you've lost your receipt don't worry, just give them the name and number you used when you bought the xbox with PSP and they can print you a new record.

EDIT: I wanted to add in that I do also like the AppleCare warranty and usually recommend it to people who would potentially need software help. Since AppleCare lets you call in for help using OSX and included software. They also help you install printers etc.. This isnt "useful" for everyone but for a new Mac user who isnt very techsavvy it might be.
I really wish all manufacturer warranties would just cover Surge already. If AppleCare did then I would say its the perfect extended service plan *sigh*
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10618 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto
Alot if people don't realize this, but when I bought my 46" Bravia and bought the 3 year warranty and the tv normally comes with 1, in reality your only getting 2 years and payig for 3. Never had to use it. I bought a 50" 3D panasonic viera plasma and they wanted something like $570 + tax for a 3 year and I said to the guy isn't it actually 2 and he said if something goes wrong then they'll come to my house to fix it. But Panasonic will already do that and there's no way I'm paying 1/4 of the price of the tv for a 2 year warranty but paying for 3
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
Awjvail wrote: Yeah... luckily the warranty expired last month.

Not that I had any desire to upgrade the RAM or HD, but if I wanted to I couldn't.

All those white dots.

That's pretty effed up. Even the lame little $179.00 netbook I bought at Shoppers a few months back doesn't have a warranty sticker over the cover where the RAM slots are.

If a store like Future Shop or Best Buy is putting warranty stickers all over the bottom, obviously they're opening the box. Once it's opened, it's no longer new. How are they able to sell used items as new? Isn't that at least semi-illegal?
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote: That's pretty effed up. Even the lame little $179.00 netbook I bought at Shoppers a few months back doesn't have a warranty sticker over the cover where the RAM slots are.

If a store like Future Shop or Best Buy is putting warranty stickers all over the bottom, obviously they're opening the box. Once it's opened, it's no longer new. How are they able to sell used items as new? Isn't that at least semi-illegal?

Just from the store that I worked at there were never any warranty stickers on the laptops. I'm not sure about other stores as each manager tends to run their store a bit differently.

It may have been that specific manufacturer that put the sticker on it?

But if its the store itself doing this then I agree that is wrong and shouldnt be allowed :(

@ XtremeModder - I agree with you, For TV's extended warranty is crap since most if not all of the coverage FS offers is also offered by the manufacturer and the cost of the warranties are way out of wack.

On something like a Laptop or gaming system i would condiser it ONLY if the price is right. Never pay full price for a warranty at these stores. You can always haggle it down lower. If the manufacturer has no no lemon, replacement time frame, surge, or accessory coverage then it may be worth your while. Also consider the brand name and how hard you'll be running the machine.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
LondonOntGuy wrote: Wow, Future Shop has the nerve to put their own warranty stickers on the item, and has the nerve to say "if you upgrade the RAM yourself, you just pooched your extended warranty" ?

and what if you decide to replace the RAM yourself, end up have static electrity and no wrist strap and fry your whole board?
i doubt futureshop would replace your pc for that and then people would come on here and complain about futureshops bad service
Banned
Feb 21, 2011
19 posts
1 upvote
ontario
I never get these plans form Future shop. I think they are a rip-off.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10618 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto
jordanr1987 wrote: and what if you decide to replace the RAM yourself, end up have static electrity and no wrist strap and fry your whole board?
i doubt futureshop would replace your pc for that and then people would come on here and complain about futureshops bad service

Out of all the computers I've built, car stereos wired for my car and friends, and mod chips installed, I never wore a wrist strap I just touch something metal first and have never had a static discharge on a pcb... Never heard of it happening either.

Anyways just remember with the warranty, if you buy a 3 year plan then deduct whatever the manufacturer gives and thatswhat your paying for
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5700 posts
728 upvotes
bewell wrote: I never get these plans form Future shop. I think they are a rip-off.

It really depends. Seeing OP got a new MBP, it makes me wanna get one and power surge the thing after 1 year. :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2085 posts
1501 upvotes
Mysticdragon wrote: Just from the store that I worked at there were never any warranty stickers on the laptops. I'm not sure about other stores as each manager tends to run their store a bit differently.

It may have been that specific manufacturer that put the sticker on it?

But if its the store itself doing this then I agree that is wrong and shouldnt be allowed :(

@ XtremeModder - I agree with you, For TV's extended warranty is crap since most if not all of the coverage FS offers is also offered by the manufacturer and the cost of the warranties are way out of wack.

On something like a Laptop or gaming system i would condiser it ONLY if the price is right. Never pay full price for a warranty at these stores. You can always haggle it down lower. If the manufacturer has no no lemon, replacement time frame, surge, or accessory coverage then it may be worth your while. Also consider the brand name and how hard you'll be running the machine.
LondonOntGuy wrote: That's pretty effed up. Even the lame little $179.00 netbook I bought at Shoppers a few months back doesn't have a warranty sticker over the cover where the RAM slots are.

I should clarify - the stickers weren't there when I bought the laptop. They were put on after my motherboard died. Future Shop sent it away to their repair facility (not HP's repair facility), and it came back to me with all those stickers on it.