• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2011 8:57 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1962 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
Awjvail wrote: I should clarify - the stickers weren't there when I bought the laptop. They were put on after my motherboard died. Future Shop sent it away to their repair facility (not HP's repair facility), and it came back to me with all those stickers on it.

No stickers on the laptop until 1st repair. Buyers are free to upgrade hard disk or ram. Even new Mac that I got, it shows in the mini manual on how to upgrade ram and hard drive
Aug 31, 2008
164 posts
12 upvotes
Mysticdragon wrote: Not really, becuase AppleCare is only a 3year warranty. OP got a 4 year warranty for 50$ more?

Also, AppleCare doesn't cover surge protection, it also doesnt cover accessories like the power cable

@ tmpz - except it sounds like FS did a good job this time with repairing the product. Usually this is the case with all Apple products.

@ LongonOntGuy - yes if the controller came in the box, just bring your receipt and the controller to FS to the returns desk. Say that its been having problems staying connected regardless of battery power and that you'd like to use your PSP to exchange for a new controller. They s hould give you a new one right there in the store. If you've lost your receipt don't worry, just give them the name and number you used when you bought the xbox with PSP and they can print you a new record.

EDIT: I wanted to add in that I do also like the AppleCare warranty and usually recommend it to people who would potentially need software help. Since AppleCare lets you call in for help using OSX and included software. They also help you install printers etc.. This isnt "useful" for everyone but for a new Mac user who isnt very techsavvy it might be.
I really wish all manufacturer warranties would just cover Surge already. If AppleCare did then I would say its the perfect extended service plan *sigh*

You misread the AppleCare terms. It does cover the power cable.
Subject to these Terms and Conditions, your Plan (i) covers defects for the Apple- branded product(s) listed in your Planʼs Certificate or Proof of Coverage document (“Plan Confirmation”) and the accessories that are contained in the product(s) original packaging (“Covered Equipment”)
The power cable is most definitely in the original packaging.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1962 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
hempopotamus wrote: If you can I would return the FS Extended Warranty and then go and purchase AppleCare direct from Apple.

MacBook / MacBook Air / 13" MacBook Pro - AppleCare Protection Plan

Much better warranty and it will save you $50.

You can't compare 13" & 15" warranties. They are different price. New Mac is 15.4" & FS chafed me $325 for 4 yrs. I would definitely do it again.
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
Mysticdragon wrote: @ LongonOntGuy - yes if the controller came in the box, just bring your receipt and the controller to FS to the returns desk. Say that its been having problems staying connected regardless of battery power and that you'd like to use your PSP to exchange for a new controller. They s hould give you a new one right there in the store. If you've lost your receipt don't worry, just give them the name and number you used when you bought the xbox with PSP and they can print you a new record.

Well, I went into Worst Buy the other day and I was told I'm SOL. They basically told me "tough ****" and to deal with my defective controller because it's within the one year warranty with M$, despite having their PSP, which is essentially WORTHLESS. The script monkey in India told me the same thing when I called about the problem with my controller, "tough ****". - The M$ warranty only covers the X-Box unit itself, not the accessories. Pretty pathetic when the controller from my almost 20 year old Nintendo still works, but one from a 3 month old X-Box doesn't. :evil:

I'm now left with no other alternative, buy a new cordless controller from Worst Buy, then swap out the broken unit for the new one, then get a refund. I'd rather not do that because that means I need to fork out $50 just to get the replacement. Even though I'll get it back, it's still a pain in the ass.

Note to self, NEVER BUY FROM WORST BUY AGAIN.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote: Well, I went into Worst Buy the other day and I was told I'm SOL. They basically told me "tough ****" and to deal with my defective controller because it's within the one year warranty with M$, despite having their PSP, which is essentially WORTHLESS. The script monkey in India told me the same thing when I called about the problem with my controller, "tough ****". - The M$ warranty only covers the X-Box unit itself, not the accessories. Pretty pathetic when the controller from my almost 20 year old Nintendo still works, but one from a 3 month old X-Box doesn't. :evil:

I'm now left with no other alternative, buy a new cordless controller from Worst Buy, then swap out the broken unit for the new one, then get a refund. I'd rather not do that because that means I need to fork out $50 just to get the replacement. Even though I'll get it back, it's still a pain in the ass.

Note to self, NEVER BUY FROM WORST BUY AGAIN.

That sounds like you are planning on committing fraud. I hope you get caught.
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
spf1971 wrote: That sounds like you are planning on committing fraud. I hope you get caught.

And you sound like a pretentious jackass. What do you suggest I do since the retailer and manufacturer refuses to help?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote: And you sound like a pretentious jackass. What do you suggest I do since the retailer and manufacturer refuses to help?

How about not commit fraud? I might be a pretentious jackass, at least I'm not a douche. How has the manufacturer and retailer refused to help? Future Shop told you to contact Microsoft as that is what the warranty states and Microsoft has said what? That's right, you haven't even tried to contact Microsoft. You'd just rather commit fraud and blame others.
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
I did contact M$, and Apu(or whatever the hell his name was), the useless tech support rep said "Tough ****" because their one year warranty only covers the console itself, not the controller or anything else.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
LondonOntGuy wrote: And you sound like a pretentious jackass. What do you suggest I do since the retailer and manufacturer refuses to help?

If the item is not covered under warranty (either specifically excluded, or warranty period has expired), then you have no choice but to suck it up. If you legitimately believe the item is or should be covered under warranty, then stand your ground - file a small claims notice if appropriate. Have you actually read the warranty, as it pertains to controllers?

Buying new, repackaging the defective product and then returning that for a refund is fraud.

Your issue is with Microsoft, it seems - not Best Buy - unless your extended warranty purchase covers all elements of the package identically.

Good luck, but don't be a fraudster.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote: I did contact M$, and Apu(or whatever the hell his name was), the useless tech support rep said "Tough ****" because their one year warranty only covers the console itself, not the controller or anything else.

If it's not under warranty, then you have no entitlement to a replacement. Why even go along with the return charade? Why not just steal a new controller outright, then you don't have to worry about returning it. You are doing the exact same thing in the end, the only difference is who are you stealing from.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2004
3444 posts
69 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote: I did contact M$, and Apu(or whatever the hell his name was), the useless tech support rep said "Tough ****" because their one year warranty only covers the console itself, not the controller or anything else.

if you have psp and it is past 3 months then they should replace the controller in-store. warranty on console may be 1yr but sony/microsoft only cover controllers for 90days.