• Aug 2nd, 2017 2:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4981 posts
5092 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Issue with roaming - don't know what is the issue

I just got my Rogers bill and have some roaming charges issue.
First, I travel a lot and never have this issue before.

Early July, I broke my Samsung S6, and got a S7 as my new phone. I then go vacation on July 7.
I got my bill today, and it show 12days of international roam like home charges.

Look at the data usage, roaming usage look like this:

July 7: 12KB
July 8: 23KB
July 9: 19KB
July 10: 24KB
July 11: 21KB

And so on.

I called Rogers and they nicely credit it the full amount , base in good will.

Question is, is it Rogers issue or Samsung issue that it it "LEAK" data even roaming is turn off?

This is first time I travel with the S7 and first time I have this issue.

Anyone heard issue like this before?
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
8 replies
Sep 27, 2003
10900 posts
3188 upvotes
Newmarket
Leak on the Samsung side. I have many clients on Bell experiencing the same issues. Data Roaming is turned off on the handset, but small bytes of data trickle through triggering the daily charge. Solution is to turn off Cellular Data completely on your phone instead of just Data Roaming. This will stop the phone from even attempting to use data.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
WorldIRC wrote: Leak on the Samsung side. I have many clients on Bell experiencing the same issues. Data Roaming is turned off on the handset, but small bytes of data trickle through triggering the daily charge. Solution is to turn off Cellular Data completely on your phone instead of just Data Roaming. This will stop the phone from even attempting to use data.
I may add that a third step would be to disable background data. Too bad Samsung leaks data. This explains a fair bit as we've had a similar experience with a Samsung handset. Wasn't on roaming, but even with cell data disabled, it still leaked. Restricting background data should cover that last leg to prevent data leakage.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2071 posts
932 upvotes
Can't you make a claim against Samsung for this in a small claims court? Sounds like they cost you money through their defective product. Imagine if your car was leaking fuel while the engine is off, that wouldn't go well with most consumers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
cheapshopper wrote: I just got my Rogers bill and have some roaming charges issue.
First, I travel a lot and never have this issue before.
If you travel a lot, it is time for you to get a dual SIM phone. In the newer phone, only 1 SIM can do data. And when you are away, you will be using a local SIM for data and leave your Rogers SIM for calls (free if you do not answer) and SMS (free incoming).
It is good that you use a Sammy phone. You would have no luck finding a dual SIM iphone.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4981 posts
5092 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I did some google, and seem like people using other phone, like iphone also have this issue, not only with Rogers , some are with T-mobile, Bell, as well.

So, is it just are you the lucky one thing?
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4981 posts
5092 upvotes
Richmond Hill
danieltoronto wrote: If you travel a lot, it is time for you to get a dual SIM phone. In the newer phone, only 1 SIM can do data. And when you are away, you will be using a local SIM for data and leave your Rogers SIM for calls (free if you do not answer) and SMS (free incoming).
It is good that you use a Sammy phone. You would have no luck finding a dual SIM iphone.
I actually though about this route before but didn't do it because of couple reason:
1). I go to different country because of business travel. So buying local SIM card every time I go to a country is trouble some.
2). Rogers's Roam like home actually is fairly priced. E.g. I visit UK for 3 days, I will get charge CAD$10. It is not much of the different , or even cheaper, compare to buying local SIM.
3). US travel even cheaper, CAD$5 a day. I use Roam Mobility before Rogers have Roam like home. Now I don't even use roam mobility anymore. Roam like home actually cheaper.
4). If I go somewhere and I know I be let say in the resort for a week, I just disable roaming. No roaming charge. Only turn it on e.g. when I leave the hotel and going to airport, which I will get charge 1 day.

That's why roam like home is a very important feature for me, based on my travel pattern.

Now, this is first time I have roaming issue. I did some googleing last night and seem like it doesn't matter what phone you use, and which carrier you use, people having this issue from time to time.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2737 upvotes
ON
My V20 appears to have a bit of this as well.
16 occurrences over 4 days despite on-screen message that data has been disabled because you have data roaming disabled.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10550 upvotes
Oakville
I'm curious how much of this is real data leakage on the phone, and how much of it is foreign carriers recording ghost data when you connect to their network?