• Sep 13th, 2021 6:28 pm
[OP]
Mar 13, 2009
704 posts
169 upvotes
Maple

Issues with Mercedes GLE450

Hello all,

I leased a Mercedes GLE 450 last June. I'm experiencing some issues, specifically:
  • Cruise control does not engage (getting message "non operational").
  • Driver seat does not go forward to the memory position when starting the vehicle (or goes forward and then retreats back).
  • Driver seat heating doesn't work.

Those issues are not permanent, they happen occasionally. The vehicle was in the dealership 6 times already, each time they told me that the issues are fixed, but they re appear after few days.

Any advice what can I do? Are those issues known for this model?

Thank you in advance!
51 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12052 posts
4366 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing much you can do if every time you went to dealer and it works at that time and it doesn't when you get home.
Maybe take a video of it?

Good that it is a lease and you can return it, so this wont be your permanent problem.

Check MB world forums to see if this is a common problem for your model, there are more GLE450 drivers there than here.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30041 posts
16044 upvotes
Toronto
Try another dealer…that’s pretty much what I can suggest.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2009
704 posts
169 upvotes
Maple
But if a car is not fixable, aren't they obligated to give you a new car?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17146 posts
19052 upvotes
Oakville
ak1004 wrote: But if a car is not fixable, aren't they obligated to give you a new car?
No lemon laws in Canada.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2009
704 posts
169 upvotes
Maple
So basically I'm supposed to drive a $80k car for 4 years with defective cruise control, defective seat heating and defective seat memory.

Got it.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30041 posts
16044 upvotes
Toronto
Your next step is to get your service manager and general manager to contact mbfs to start your complaint process. Right now, dealer may not be dealing any of your issues with mb head office as they are just doing all the temporary fixes under warranty claims.

If dealer is not going to act on your behalf, then you will have to contact the cs @ mbfs ASAP and voice/file your grievance.

The last step if all failed is to go to camvap

https://www.camvap.ca/before-you-apply/~english

No matter which step you end up doing, it is recommended you are to prepare a chronological of all the issues involved and how dealer serviced the issue each time (without any success)
Last edited by booblehead on Sep 11th, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29695 posts
10424 upvotes
Well good thing it's a lease then eh?

When they are "fixing" these issues what are they doing? Did you get a list of parts/service they did to remedy the issues? Otherwise it sounds like they are possibly just resetting some electronics and sending you on your way. Definitely sounds like wiring/electronic module issues you got going on here.

The seat issues seem like they may be related to some common fault; the cruise control might be separate.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1054 posts
1326 upvotes
Calgary
ak1004 wrote: So basically I'm supposed to drive a $80k car for 4 years with defective cruise control, defective seat heating and defective seat memory.

Got it.
Yup
Expensive German cars are not what they used to be. Suck it up or make lots of noise to MB Canada
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30041 posts
16044 upvotes
Toronto
I just wonder if a weak battery can cause all these electrical issues ?

Maybe have the suv battery charged up overnight and see if those issues go away.

I normally recharge my battery once a month just to avoid these kinds of gremlins
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2417 posts
1090 upvotes
Hometown
ak1004 wrote: So basically I'm supposed to drive a $80k car for 4 years with defective cruise control, defective seat heating and defective seat memory.

Got it.
Sadly that is EXACTLY what all your elected folks have decided you WILL DO in Canada. Not only that you will also LIKE it or at least accept it. Or pay out of your pocket whatever it costs to get yourself out of that vehicle and into a different one.

It is just ridiculous but we Canadians have accepted that it is all good since we do NOT force our politicians to grow a pair and tell the manufacturers if you want to sell here. You have to follow the same lemon laws most civilized countries have. Why we love to be stomped on as consumers is beyond me but it never changes.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35896 posts
21997 upvotes
Center of Universe
Canuck2fan wrote: Sadly that is EXACTLY what all your elected folks have decided you WILL DO in Canada. Not only that you will also LIKE it or at least accept it. Or pay out of your pocket whatever it costs to get yourself out of that vehicle and into a different one.

It is just ridiculous but we Canadians have accepted that it is all good since we do NOT force our politicians to grow a pair and tell the manufacturers if you want to sell here. You have to follow the same lemon laws most civilized countries have. Why we love to be stomped on as consumers is beyond me but it never changes.
WTF?
Sep 25, 2015
660 posts
1253 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Got it.
Call better business bureau and file a complaint against the dealer.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13170 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
When my main battery was on its way out,

I got lane departure, cruise and high beam assist inoperable, my seat and steering memory was still good though. I replaced the battery and it fixed everything. I also replaced my aux battery twice. These german cars are so finicky, but they drive nice.

Good luck on getting your car fixed! We had a CLA45 that was at the dealer like 7 times and they couldnt fix it. Car would die in the middle of a turn and stutter when giving it the beans. Sold it shortly after.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8148 posts
791 upvotes
Brampton
Sounds like the battery
[OP]
Mar 13, 2009
704 posts
169 upvotes
Maple
redblack wrote: Yup
Expensive German cars are not what they used to be. Suck it up or make lots of noise to MB Canada
Are those typical issues with Mercedes or am I just unlucky? I was driving two E class cars with no issues. Are Audi and BMW any better? What's the alternative? Lexus?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4370 posts
2732 upvotes
Ontario
Manualy adjust seat when required, use gas pedal to select speed if necesary, wear thicker pants when weather gets cold, and most importantly keep smiling so other drivers remain as envious as they should be.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1054 posts
1326 upvotes
Calgary
ak1004 wrote: Is this a typical issue with Mercedes or am I just unlucky? I was driving two E class cars with no issues. Are Audi and BMW any better? What's the alternative? Lexus?
My parents had an older 2012 or 2013 BMW X3, developed timing chain rattle/whine due to poor guides and bad tensioner. Poor fit and finish and sub par dealer experience. Traded that pos in for a Audi Q5 3.2 V6, it was fine for the first year then it developed and annoying dash rattle they couldn’t fix and had issues with carbon buildup in the EGR system. Had to get all 6 injectors replaced twice under warranty due to carbon clogging them up (12 injectors in 2.5years along with a intake walnut blast lol).

When that lease was up they jumped to a Lexus RX350. 3years so far with no issues at all and the service is much better at the dealership.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30041 posts
16044 upvotes
Toronto
ak1004 wrote: Are those typical issues with Mercedes or am I just unlucky? I was driving two E class cars with no issues. Are Audi and BMW any better? What's the alternative? Lexus?
I currently have an e class (2018), it does has its issue (minor in nature) but it is one of the more reliable vehicle I have driven in the lat 20+ yrs, that included past brands bmw, Porsche, Lexus, Acura, infiniti.

I think all brands will have some sort of issues, sometimes it’s the draw of the luck.