None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5600 posts
2140 upvotes
Vancouver

Issues with Seagate 2 TB Expansion Portable Drive

Bought it ~2 months ago from amazon when it was on sale.

It stalls whenever I try to copy and paste anything over ~100 GB into it.

After closing it, I can't do certain things, like open up window explorer.

Then when I try to turn off or restart the computer, it stalls again.

Then I finally have to cut off power for it to turn off.

I have had to do this 3-4 times now on both my laptop and desktop.

Any guess what the problem could be?

I will call seagate support tomorrow.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4497 posts
724 upvotes
probably the usb to sata connection board has issues. worst case is the hdd, since its under warranty just call them up but probably have to pay for shipping.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20558 posts
9066 upvotes
Toronto
Go to the Seagate site and get a RMA form. Shipping is about $10 but you will get a replacement drive.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5600 posts
2140 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the suggestion. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.

I have been using 2 other portable drives (320 GB IOmega and 500 GB Hitachi) for ~5 yrs and never had a problem.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1896 posts
553 upvotes
North York
lol I'm so sorry you bought a Seagate.
Aug 11, 2007
300 posts
44 upvotes
balance wrote: probably the usb to sata connection board has issues. worst case is the hdd, since its under warranty just call them up but probably have to pay for shipping.
It likely is the usb to Sata connection. Had the same problem. Replaced the whole unit the first time under warranty. Failed again after warranty and I took the hard drive out of it and it worked for a while and then it failed too. The only thing worse than a Seagate hard drive is a Seagate drive in a Seagate enclosure as you now have double the trouble. Save yourself the trouble next time and go for a Hitachi first and a WD Second before you buy another Seagate. They are the cheapest on sale for a reason and saving money is not the most important thing when your data is at stake.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5600 posts
2140 upvotes
Vancouver
Darn it. I just tried backing up to my Hitachi and running into same problem. I backed up on it in early May without a problem.
Jul 14, 2015
16 posts
Langley, BC
Seagate is not really the most trustworthy brand out there. Buying from them is like playing the lottery.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2443 posts
931 upvotes
Ontario
Are these statistically supported claims/personal experience that Seagate suck? I've had one for 3-4 years now used only as a backup of files/pics. No problem so far, so did I hit the lottery or are these just hearsay claims that Seagate is bad...
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2494 posts
384 upvotes
Ajax
Dynasty12345 wrote: Are these statistically supported claims/personal experience that Seagate suck? I've had one for 3-4 years now used only as a backup of files/pics. No problem so far, so did I hit the lottery or are these just hearsay claims that Seagate is bad...
No, they really do suck. This wasn't always the case, as I still have a 320gb desktop sized Seagate spinning along fine. [this should give you an indication of age]

They recently dropped their warranty to 1 year, which means they absolve themselves of the tons of failures of recently new 3tb/1tb drives they've been putting out. Western Digital or Hitachi have good reputations.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8132 posts
3476 upvotes
Financial District B…
Seagate failure rate is enormous when compared to WD. Have had many fail on me at home and at work.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29320 posts
14828 upvotes
Dynasty12345 wrote: Are these statistically supported claims/personal experience that Seagate suck?
None of them are valid. Unless you control at least 1000 drives in each category anecdotal experience doesn't mean squat.

Even being one of the largest (if not the largest) data hoarder on here I can't even make statements that are statistically valid and I control a couple hundred drives at home.