63 posts
196 upvotes

100 Feather New Hi-Stainless DE Blade, $33.79 - compare @ $50+

Deal Link:
Price:
$33.79
Retailer:
Italian Barber
OK, so they may not be the cheapest in the world, but apparently they are the sharpest in the world.

If you want cheap, check out 100 Vi-John Super Platinum Coated Stainless DE Blades, at $7.79 or

100 Voskhod Teflon Coated DE Blades, 20 Packs Of 5 at $15.59

Free shipping kicks in at US$60 (Canadian supplier but very US-oriented). For me that meant adding some aftershave: Myrsol Antesol @ $39/bottle vs $49 from other suppliers and some Snake Bite (cheaper per bottle than anywhere else I could find).

Anyway, I couldn't find the Feather blades any less than $50 anywhere else...
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4138 posts
2665 upvotes
I've only ever tried the Astra Superior Platinum blades. They work just fine for me, but it would be nice to get a few more shaves out of each blade. Does a sharper blade mean more shaves or just less tug and pull?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3488 posts
1528 upvotes
Ottawa
So I learned the hard way, sharpest isn't the best. Because when I was using a straight razor for awhile, and I spent most of that period looking like I had been in fights. Blades nicked too easily, I changed to ones that were less sharp, and good quality, and huge difference. I ended up abandoning because it took way too long in the morning, went back to Gillette lol
Jun 21, 2010
328 posts
163 upvotes
London
SizzleChest wrote: I've only ever tried the Astra Superior Platinum blades. They work just fine for me, but it would be nice to get a few more shaves out of each blade. Does a sharper blade mean more shaves or just less tug and pull?
No and no...

This was my reply in another post about blades. Also what is essentially the best for me is probably not the best for you:

This is an interesting blog to read:
The Science Of Blade Sharpness.

I have found it to be very accurate using this guideline to sampling blades myself. All the major blades tested for sharpness, The 1st, 2nd, and overall shave results, done by an engineer with graphs and charts. It explains the coatings, the hows and whys a blade gets duller OR sharper. I used it originally because I was over whelmed with everyones "this is the best blade" opinions.

The ones I've tried so far: Astra Blue (not Green). Feather Black. Merkur Germany (not Czech). Wilkinson Black (not White). Gillette Silver Blue. Personna Red (not Blue). Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (not Yellow). BIC Yellow made in Greece.

As a side note for newbies...
manufacturers make different blades with the same name, that is why I have listed the blades with the name and colour, becase the blade give different results yet have the same name.

My favorites... (Yes me too)

Personna Red - Israel
BIC Yellow- Greece
Feather - Black Japan

The Science Of Blade Sharpness
https://sharpologist.com/the-science-of ... sharpness/

If you are anywhere near the "RFD center of the Earth", and want to sample blades, witout paying through the nose for shipping, there is a barber shop I've beeen to in Burlington that sells most of the blades i've listed in store in 5 packs. They have been very helpful each time I;ve been there. (Newbie friendly)

https://barberslounge.biz/shop-online/
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
1159 posts
927 upvotes
It's a good price but Amazon drops these down to around $35 from time to time.
Dec 25, 2009
889 posts
195 upvotes
Feather blades are AMAZING!

Super sharp!

You have to be careful when using them, but they're definitely great for wet shaving.
Nov 6, 2012
295 posts
299 upvotes
Edmonton
Generally speaking the feathers work well in milder razors
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5259 posts
2308 upvotes
Ancaster
norrric wrote: No and no...

This was my reply in another post about blades. Also what is essentially the best for me is probably not the best for you:

This is an interesting blog to read:
The Science Of Blade Sharpness.

I have found it to be very accurate using this guideline to sampling blades myself. All the major blades tested for sharpness, The 1st, 2nd, and overall shave results, done by an engineer with graphs and charts. It explains the coatings, the hows and whys a blade gets duller OR sharper. I used it originally because I was over whelmed with everyones "this is the best blade" opinions.

The ones I've tried so far: Astra Blue (not Green). Feather Black. Merkur Germany (not Czech). Wilkinson Black (not White). Gillette Silver Blue. Personna Red (not Blue). Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (not Yellow). BIC Yellow made in Greece.

As a side note for newbies...
manufacturers make different blades with the same name, that is why I have listed the blades with the name and colour, becase the blade give different results yet have the same name.

My favorites... (Yes me too)

Personna Red - Israel
BIC Yellow- Greece
Feather - Black Japan

The Science Of Blade Sharpness
https://sharpologist.com/the-science-of ... sharpness/

If you are anywhere near the "RFD center of the Earth", and want to sample blades, witout paying through the nose for shipping, there is a barber shop I've beeen to in Burlington that sells most of the blades i've listed in store in 5 packs. They have been very helpful each time I;ve been there. (Newbie friendly)

https://barberslounge.biz/shop-online/
Great article and seems to mirror my experiences with Feathers. It also explains why Astra Superior Stainless and Astra Superior Platinums are the kindest to my sensitive, supple skin.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1894 posts
416 upvotes
Good deal but I haven't had success with Feathers to be honest. They were just a bit too harsh for me.
Mar 13, 2017
314 posts
282 upvotes
Sum_guy wrote: Good deal but I haven't had success with Feathers to be honest. They were just a bit too harsh for me.
Which razor did you use them with?

I also found them pretty harsh (DE 89 and Karve CB - C Plate) until I tried them in a milder razor - they're great with a vintage Gillette Tech for example.
I find that they are not the longest lasting blades but well worth the smooth shaves.
Jul 5, 2018
335 posts
1440 upvotes
I use feathers but have to be careful. I have some cheap blades I also use some other times. After Gillette decided to give the middle finger to their largest demographic I finally had enough overpaying for razors after just putting up with it. I've heard many good things about astra's but unfortunately Gillette lost me as a customer so I'll never know. I'm happy with feathers.
Feb 26, 2008
777 posts
728 upvotes
Surrey
They are the only blade I use. I've tried at least half a dozen before settling on it. As mentioned before, what works for me may not work for you. It really depends on your skin type.

I use this on my Merkur adjustable and usually have the setting around 4 which is pretty damn aggressive. But it gives me the cleanest shave. You would need to pay attention to blade angle and pressure to avoid looking like a family of raccoons trampled your face. LOL! I also have them in my Parker razors. One is super mild and the other is a bit more aggressive. The blades do well in all of them. But again, this fits my face and my needs so yours maybe different. Astra for me were bad, I could not get a decent shave without nicks or horrible razor burns. Merkur German blades are good but didn't give a close shave as I would like. They also dulled a lot quicker for me. As already mentioned, get a sample pack and see. It will take a bit of time to figure out but in the end it will be worth it.

The other important thing is prep! Even though I have been shaving with them for about a decade, I will still get ravaged if I don't prep properly. This means, hot face wash, scrub, pre-shave oil, and your choice of having soap/cream. When the blade dulls, it will tug more. The quality of the products is very important as well. For me, The Art Of Shaving pre-shave oil worked the best. I tried 3 or 4 others with varying results.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1885 posts
1105 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
MyUsernameDoesntMatter wrote: I use feathers but have to be careful. I have some cheap blades I also use some other times. After Gillette decided to give the middle finger to their largest demographic I finally had enough overpaying for razors after just putting up with it. I've heard many good things about astra's but unfortunately Gillette lost me as a customer so I'll never know. I'm happy with feathers.
WM started selling the WS DE blade, it was $12 or something, heck, I decided to try it out, got some razor samplers at a local store, the value proposition is ludicrous, I now spend $50/yr on blades and a shave soap lasts about two years.
Jul 29, 2016
166 posts
114 upvotes
Love feather in EJ. They are very sharp but somehow I have less cuts then from other blades.
And i can use each blade longer.
Nov 8, 2020
32 posts
13 upvotes
I just ordered 100 feather blades for around 38$ a few weeks ago off Amazon.
Nov 8, 2020
32 posts
13 upvotes
I just use sensitive proraso cream. I love it. 9 bucks a tube..lasts for a few months...I shave my head with a safety razor.
Thanks for the advice.
Jun 25, 2005
632 posts
302 upvotes
People are shaving during this pandemic?

On my work video calls, it’s now acceptable to look like a homeless bum in jogging pants and 3-5 days of stubble.
Nov 21, 2018
26 posts
18 upvotes
I got fed up of Gillette Fusion (ingrown hairs, lack of sharpness after 1 shave) and turned to DE shaving and have not looked back. I've been shaving with Astra Superior Platinum but recently have been getting nicks and cuts quite often. I've paired it with a Merkur Futur knock-off at the max setting and still the blades were starting to feel dull into one shave. Got a small pack of Feather blades off of Amazon, using at the same 6 (sharpest) setting and the shave is truly is wonderful. No cuts or anything. Just take a warm shower, lather with your soap of choice, and do a 3 pass. I plan on getting an original Merkur Futur as soon as I see a deal on RFD. If you're on the fence for DE shaving- take the plunge. Get some budget gear and try it out.

Just sharing my $0.002.
May 15, 2018
4 posts
12 upvotes
FYI - another bonus for the Feather blades is that each 5-pack is in its own disposable plastic case that also holds spent razors.

So, if you're traveling or have kids/toddlers that might get into the garbage, you can have peace of mind that all the used razors are safely disposed of. The Feather brand are the only ones that I've found that include this.

Also, for what its worth I've tried dozens of different blades and typically come back to either these feathers, Gillette Silver Blue (my favourite) or Astra Platinum. I would buy this set just to have a bunch of those disposable cases (even if you eventually settle on a different one)
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2018 posts
4407 upvotes
Markham
monkey_bongo wrote: People are shaving during this pandemic?

On my work video calls, it’s now acceptable to look like a homeless bum in jogging pants and 3-5 days of stubble.
Do your stubbles fall off magically after 3-5 days though?