• Dec 13th, 2019 2:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2328 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto

ITIL vs. Servicenow Admin certificates

I am in IT and generally have a good idea about both of these certificates, but have neither one. I plan to take both, and in fact I am doing training in my company for Servicenow. With that being the case and for those who have either or both certificate and if you had to choose just one, which one would you go for?

ITIL foundation certificate vs. Servicenow Certified Systems Administrator (CSA)

Does it simply come down to ITIL being more broad as a concept but more help desk related, while the latter is more specific to one system, but could also be applied to different roles and functions (order management, ticketing, incidents etc.)

At the end of the day, the two are more complimentary for each other if anything and that is why I plan to take both. But for now I just want to see which one should I prioritize.

For the record, for my role at my current company (been there for 3 years) there is more need for Servicenow. But I am also thinking 5-10 years down the road for my career advancement.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9346 posts
3047 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote: I am in IT and generally have a good idea about both of these certificates, but have neither one. I plan to take both, and in fact I am doing training in my company for Servicenow. With that being the case and for those who have either or both certificate and if you had to choose just one, which one would you go for?

ITIL foundation certificate vs. Servicenow Certified Systems Administrator (CSA)

Does it simply come down to ITIL being more broad as a concept but more help desk related, while the latter is more specific to one system, but could also be applied to different roles and functions (order management, ticketing, incidents etc.)

At the end of the day, the two are more complimentary for each other if anything and that is why I plan to take both. But for now I just want to see which one should I prioritize.

For the record, for my role at my current company (been there for 3 years) there is more need for Servicenow. But I am also thinking 5-10 years down the road for my career advancement.
ITIL.

They are different, one is a process/practice the other a software tool to manage problems, incidents, changes...etc. both can be picked up on the job
Discomfort is your friend
Aug 31, 2008
205 posts
111 upvotes
Unionville
I'm a consulting director for ServiceNow. My advice is get ITIL first then ServiceNow certs through training sessions at knowledge. If you want to specialize you can pursue other SN certs, but I'd argue that practical knowledge beats certs 9 times out of 10.
vgosu