Careers

It's almost impossible to find a decent job.

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2012 1:32 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON

It's almost impossible to find a decent job.

Im finished high school and can't seem to find any decent job.

The only jobs being offered to me are 'door to door', telemarketing or manual/physical work, or fast food. Which i refuse to do as i find them degrading, no disrespect to those who do them.

Now im not looking for a high paying job, just a normal decent retail job. I've applied to so many jobs online, dropped off resumes in store etc but no luck.

Any ideas?
91 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2360 posts
385 upvotes
Your first problem is looking at physical labour and fast-food as "degrading". I'll agree they're not ideal, but you're not in a position to be choosy. You have a high school diploma and limited if any experience. You really don't have anything in particular going for you other than the fact that you're young (Which is why physical labour keeps cropping up).

Also, employers are more responsive to people looking to switch jobs/careers than unemployed people looking to start. Take the fast food or a construction job or whatever and then try to find something better.

What are you looking for anyway? What is a "decent retail job"?
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4539 posts
990 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Alpina00B7 wrote: Im finished high school and can't seem to find any decent job.

The only jobs being offered to me are 'door to door', telemarketing or manual/physical work, or fast food. Which i refuse to do as i find them degrading, no disrespect to those who do them.

Now im not looking for a high paying job, just a normal decent retail job. I've applied to so many jobs online, dropped off resumes in store etc but no luck.

Any ideas?
Are you qualified? Do you have the experience? Do you have the skills? What sets you apart from your competition?
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON
I have worked fast food for a few months, so i know how horrible those jobs are. As far as physical/construction jobs, i just don't have the physical strength for those jobs.

Problem with doing a fast food job is, i dont have the time to look for something better. Im looking for something in retail, like a cell phone store, travel agency, or a mid-high end clothing store cashier. Something where there is zero physical work.

Wont' mind a sales job either, like furniture sales or something.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON
nyik wrote: Are you qualified? Do you have the experience? Do you have the skills? What sets you apart from your competition?
Nothing sets me apart, thats the problem. But unless someone is willing to hire me, how do i get experience? Everywhere i go, it's the same "sorry you don't have experience. How do they expect you to get experience.

Even the most basic office jobs i've been applied to want experience
Jr. Member
May 2, 2012
192 posts
43 upvotes
Alpina00B7 wrote: I have worked fast food for a few months, so i know how horrible those jobs are. As far as physical/construction jobs, i just don't have the physical strength for those jobs.

Problem with doing a fast food job is, i dont have the time to look for something better. Im looking for something in retail, like a cell phone store, travel agency, or a mid-high end clothing store cashier. Something where there is zero physical work.

Wont' mind a sales job either, like furniture sales or something.
How does a 38 hour a week fast food job not allow you to look for something better? depending on when your shifts are, you're almost certainly going to have some time between 9 and 5 on one or more weekdays where you won't be working, so you can schedule interviews then. "Sales" jobs are generally going to require at minimum some real customer service experience. Also, are you a man or a woman?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2360 posts
385 upvotes
I've tried to write replies to this a few times now and keep restarting. I think this all boils down to the idea that you're sabotaging yourself. You have the opportunity to get the experience the jobs you're currently looking at want to see and your choosing not to take it. Those places you're applying don't really care if you know how to process a transaction, sell a phone, or fold a shirt. That's not the experience they're looking for. They want to know that you can hold down a job for a reasonable amount of time.

You're not going to get into a high-commission sales position or even a basic office job without proving you can "work" first.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Everyone seems to be dancing around the matter. The problem is you have a high school education. A high school education alone usually leads to those kinds of "degrading" jobs. If you want better opportunities I strongly suggest furthering your education (either apprenticeship, college or university will lead to better opportunities). A high school diploma by itself these days with no further education is virtually worthless.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON
chevron wrote: How does a 38 hour a week fast food job not allow you to look for something better? depending on when your shifts are, you're almost certainly going to have some time between 9 and 5 on one or more weekdays where you won't be working, so you can schedule interviews then. "Sales" jobs are generally going to require at minimum some real customer service experience. Also, are you a man or a woman?
You're right, i would have time to look for a job while working at a fast food joint, but i just find those jobs so boring and worthless that i can never go back to that.

I am guy. I guess the biggest reason for making this thread was in the hope that someone here might be working for a company that is hiring. Im willing to do any type of customer service or retail work.

It's just so depressing sitting in front of the computer and emailing resumes to ads on kijiji and craiglists
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON
JK400 wrote: Everyone seems to be dancing around the matter. The problem is you have a high school education. A high school education alone usually leads to those kinds of "degrading" jobs. If you want better opportunities I strongly suggest furthering your education (either apprenticeship, college or university will lead to better opportunities). A high school diploma by itself these days with no further education is virtually worthless.
Yes i know that and im planning to go back to school maybe next year, but in the meantime dont want to sit at home doing nothing.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
150 upvotes
Alpina00B7 wrote: Any ideas?
Move out west.

Lots of jobs in Sask and Alberta especially in the oil industry.

But of course you won't listen to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4539 posts
990 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Alpina00B7 wrote: Nothing sets me apart, thats the problem. But unless someone is willing to hire me, how do i get experience? Everywhere i go, it's the same "sorry you don't have experience. How do they expect you to get experience.

Even the most basic office jobs i've been applied to want experience
They expect you to get experience from other jobs. Such as all these other "degrading" jobs you don't want.

1. You have a HS education. There will be another applicants with more experience, education, skills, than you do.
2. Don't expect to get a "decent" job without first having to work at lower-tier jobs.
3. It may be degrading to you, but for others, it means over a roof over their heads and food for their family.

Suck it up, stop whining, and get that experience. Oh, on the bright side, you get money.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON
Xiaohaibao wrote: Move out west.

Lots of jobs in Sask and Alberta especially in the oil industry.

But of course you won't listen to me.
lol, oil industry=Physical work. Im just not that kinda guy.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2360 posts
385 upvotes
Alpina00B7 wrote: You're right, i would have time to look for a job while working at a fast food joint, but i just find those jobs so boring and worthless that i can never go back to that.

I am guy. I guess the biggest reason for making this thread was in the hope that someone here might be working for a company that is hiring. Im willing to do any type of customer service or retail work.

It's just so depressing sitting in front of the computer and emailing resumes to ads on kijiji and craiglists
Well, try imaging the guy twenty years your senior with a bunch of experience that's doing the exact same thing as you right now. That's depressing - this is part of life.

You can't just expect to start five rungs up the career ladder. Just take something. You need the experience and it's a lot, lot, lot, lot, lot easier to find work when you have work.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON
Nevermind guys, i don't think im going to get the type of answer i was hoping for here. Thx for the help anyways
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON
divx wrote: did you apply to FS, BB, staples, walmart, thesource, etc? They are pretty good at hiring people with no experience.
yep, i've applies to staples and bb, online, they only accept resumes online.

and dropped off the resume at the source as well, no luck
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2360 posts
385 upvotes
Alpina00B7 wrote: lol, oil industry=Physical work. Im just not that kinda guy.
:/

That's a really bad misconception that the province needs to shake. There is a lot of work in the various engineering, services, financial, social, etc... sectors in Alberta that involves little physical labour. And it probably is easier to find a *better* job, but you're still going to run into the same problem of no experience hampering you're ability to find anything above the most basic entry level stuff.
Member
Feb 18, 2012
452 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
This is a troll post. Don't respond to him.

Top